[Plugin] unbalanced

i don't understand this plugin at all, i try and pick a folder and set a target drive hoping it will fill it with the folder i select but it being "too large" it won't work, how is this helpful? i'd love to use the benefits of this plugin but having a hard time figuring out how to even use it

5 hours ago, jcofer555 said:

see why waste of space is a big thing here, oh well time to figure something out, gonna have fun moving files for days over something so silly

Not sure where you're wasting space... I've got 8TB data disks that have been filled to within 100MB of max capacity.

Just remember, this isn't the OS for everyone.

4 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Not sure where you're wasting space... I've got 8TB data disks that have been filled to within 100MB of max capacity.

Just remember, this isn't the OS for everyone.

if you are dealing with big files then you are stuck having to balance continuously and/or setting the minimum free space setting to which for me means leaving over 100gb on each drive or forced to balance continuously.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:56 PM, _Shorty said:

Have you selected any files/directories to attempt a job yet?  They're inaccessible until there's something selected, at which point they become clickable.

Thanks, user error here. Turns out the drive I was selecting had no data on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help!

I want to move files from one disc to another using the unbalaced plugin. The drive I want to copy the file to belongs to a share where I disabled the cache (for the time being). The drive I copy the file from also used to be part of the same share, but I de-selected it.

What I don't understand is the fact that unBalanced still uses the cache drive and I can't copy to the selected disc directly. Where do I change that?

Edit: somehow it works now as it should. No idea what I did wrong.

Edited by Teejoo

Hello!

Yesterday, I ran a Scatter/Move job to move all data (2.7 TB) from Disk 2 to Disk 8.

I had to abort the job at about 2.3 TB transferred, but it seems the files have been copied and not moved, because the files are now on both Disk 2 and Disk 8.

Which means that Disk 2 still has 2.7 TB used, and Disk 8 is filled up by the already tranferred 2.3 TB.

How can I complete this job so the files get moved properly? Clicking on the small red X in the job history is not working.

Thanks in advance and kind regards!

Screenshot 2022-07-22 145614.png

Edit: I studied the behaviour of rsync and found that simply rerunning the very same job would fix the issue, but it was not possible because Unbalance denied running it because Disk 8 now didnt have enough free space to transfer 2.7 TB "again". So I had to run the job again in chunks...

I would suggest not to use the Stop button, or implement a "resume aborted job" feature which ignores or handles free space better on the destination disk.

Edited by Bong-Goku
Solution found
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

how do i continue from a crashed/unfinished move ?

I tried moving all my data off a disk to encrypt it, and 3/4 of the wya through, the plugin somehow died, had ti disable and re-enable. now most of the data exists on both disks - how do i remove the duplicates and continue where it left off?

EDIT: Trying to re-run tells me there's not enough space on target disk, so i found that choosing a few subdirs at a time was slow, but worked.

Edited by HynesJeff
  • 2 weeks later...

Super weird issue with Unbalance. I ran this on my Drive 2 to clear the drive for removal from the array. Unbalance ran... says it transferred ~900tb and took 10 hours. Most of the files were transferred to Drive 5 however upon completion I am looking at the files and the drives on the array combined are showing 900tb less available space but when looking for all of the files in the shares and on drive 5 everything is missing. In addition, the source drive was empty because I used the move option. It seems like the data is there because the drive free space is reduced but the filesystem is not reading the files. Any thoughts or have I lost all of this data? I would think unbalance would not delete the source data if the files did not actually get moved over to the destination.... 

Best, Kyle

hi jbrodriguez

I made this suggestion 

and i was wondering if there was scope to incorporate this into your plugin instead of natively (although native would be best). How I imagine it would exist within unbalanced, would be via some kind of granular file slider. locating files above or below a certain filesize

On 4/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, TrondHjertager said:

Looks like it just took a long time. After 15-20 minutes without any indication of anything, it let me use it as normal.

I am getting this problem as well — it sits a "checking issues" for an unacceptably long time, with no indication that it will ever complete.

Would it be possible for the issue checker to output a percentage progress, just so users know whether they should hang around waiting for it or come back tomorrow?

• 1 month later...

So I was doing a gather job and it was running along fine.  I checked my tab and it looked like it had frozen, so I refreshed.  Now I just get an  "Unbalance: Unraid App" titled tab and nothing loads in the page.  How do I check if my job has finished successfully before I stop/start the plugin and/or my array?

Hello,

Running Unraid 6.10.3, I'm in the process of encrypting the array, to help free up space and be able to format existing disks I added an old nvme drive to the system, created another pool for it and formatted as xfs encrypted. This nvme will stay on the system, so I'd like for it to also be encrypted.

So I'm trying to run Unbalance, get some data off the harddrives and onto this new nvme, however it's missing from the Unbalance GUI, idk why.

I've reboot the server several times hoping it would turn up, but no luck.

image.thumb.png.49efcf91a86b7f37218fd5ae43265705.png

The drive missing on Unbalance is the CT1000P1 under the crucialpone pool.

image.thumb.png.538e1b9ae52c9776bc06505a9111d5c2.png

So any idea what could I do to make it work?

On 9/26/2022 at 8:26 AM, APJ said:

Hello,

Running Unraid 6.10.3, I'm in the process of encrypting the array, to help free up space and be able to format existing disks I added an old nvme drive to the system, created another pool for it and formatted as xfs encrypted. This nvme will stay on the system, so I'd like for it to also be encrypted.

So I'm trying to run Unbalance, get some data off the harddrives and onto this new nvme, however it's missing from the Unbalance GUI, idk why.

I've reboot the server several times hoping it would turn up, but no luck.

image.thumb.png.49efcf91a86b7f37218fd5ae43265705.png

The drive missing on Unbalance is the CT1000P1 under the crucialpone pool.

image.thumb.png.538e1b9ae52c9776bc06505a9111d5c2.png

So any idea what could I do to make it work?

follow up, later that day I decided to try and name the pool something else, after changing it to a five letter word it magically appeared on the unbalance GUI. Now idk if that was a bug, but after it did really solved the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced