[Plugin] unbalanced

I'm having an issue trying to empty one disk to another disk. I have a disk1 which has only a few things on it. The mover has been run, so they aren't symlinks. I am trying to empty disk1 so I cna reformat it to xfs. There are currently only a few tv shows on it. When I try to highlight the media share (where all the files are on disk1) and use another disk with plenty of room in it, I get an error saying the process was interrupted, see log files. What am I doing wrong?

syslog.txt

I'm getting an exit status 23 with nothing happening... i'm trying to move files from disk 3 to disk 12.

I've run the docker safe new permissions script...

This is the command: MOVE: Move command (rsync -avRX --partial "Console/Security Camera" "/mnt/disk12/") was interrupted: exit status 23

When I run the rsync manually, I realized I had to change the current dir to /mnt/disk3 but the rsync command actually worked...

not sure what the unbalance plugin error could be caused by

Hi twg, not sure either  :(

I'm having an issue trying to empty one disk to another disk. I have a disk1 which has only a few things on it. The mover has been run, so they aren't symlinks. I am trying to empty disk1 so I cna reformat it to xfs. There are currently only a few tv shows on it. When I try to highlight the media share (where all the files are on disk1) and use another disk with plenty of room in it, I get an error saying the process was interrupted, see log files. What am I doing wrong?

Hi mikedpitt430, can you check the log at /boot/logs/unbalance.log ?

That's where the plugin keep its log and there might be additional info.

Is it possible to instead of trying to empty a drive, designate moving things off of that drive until that drive has X% free?

For example, drive 17 currently is 92% full, and I want to get it down to 75% full but not completely empty it out.

Hi glave, I'll check how easy/difficult this would be and report back :)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...I've used this plugin for a long time without issues, but now it's just copying between my disks instead of moving. A folder was the same on both disks. No matter what I did I couldn't fix it. I had to delete the folder and restore from backup. Then I tried it again and it said it moved it, but it didn't. It copied it again. So I renamed the folder (did a mv) from the user share, and it fixed the folder but the data remained on the original drive. I ended up just downloading the diskmv script, which worked without issue. I dunno.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...I've used this plugin for a long time without issues, but now it's just copying between my disks instead of moving. A folder was the same on both disks. No matter what I did I couldn't fix it. I had to delete the folder and restore from backup. Then I tried it again and it said it moved it, but it didn't. It copied it again. So I renamed the folder (did a mv) from the user share, and it fixed the folder but the data remained on the original drive. I ended up just downloading the diskmv script, which worked without issue. I dunno.

Hi gabeo,

Not sure what the problem could be.

The code hasn't changed.

Did you change any of the rsync params (in the settings page) ?

Just wanted to say that this plugin is spectacular! I just converted 4 drives to XFS and this made it dead simple.  Two observations that might be useful to other noobs (or those with a general lack of unix skillz):

- I needed to fix permissions after reformatting each drive.  I'm not sure if that was a by-product of unBALANCE or the array itself, but I would get code 23s if I tried to move from one disk to another directly after reformatting.

- It seemed like the GUI needed to be displayed in order for it to work.  My computer fell asleep during the move process and I assumed that it would continue, but there was still data left on the disk the next day.

At any rate, thanks so much for making this so easy to do. Do you have a donate page or anything?

Just wanted to say that this plugin is spectacular! I just converted 4 drives to XFS and this made it dead simple.  Two observations that might be useful to other noobs (or those with a general lack of unix skillz):

- I needed to fix permissions after reformatting each drive.  I'm not sure if that was a by-product of unBALANCE or the array itself, but I would get code 23s if I tried to move from one disk to another directly after reformatting.

- It seemed like the GUI needed to be displayed in order for it to work.  My computer fell asleep during the move process and I assumed that it would continue, but there was still data left on the disk the next day.

At any rate, thanks so much for making this so easy to do. Do you have a donate page or anything?

Hi bonustreats, thanks a lot for your comments !

I'm glad it was helpful.

The GUI shouldn't need to be open for the server process to continue, maybe there was some error in the logs (/boot/logs/unbalance.log) ?

No donate page for the time being, will probably set it up eventually :)

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in a power outage when unbalance was running and moving files,  I have a UPS that should allow for a clean shutdown. Is there anything I should expect when the power comes back on and I power up my server? Any issues?  Thanks for  the great tool Btw.

Hi lolsamsam, thanks for your comments !

Hope it went well in the end.

As a reference, since it was stopped midway, the folder being copied won't have transferred whole.

I'd use the logs to find out where it was being copied, delete in the destination disk, then run unBALANCE again.

It's likely that the set of folders to be moved would have changed.

I'm not sure why, but suddenly the Open WebGUI button no longer works.

<a style='color:green;' target='_blank' href='http://:6237' title='unBALANCE plugin'><b>Open Web UI ( v1.7.0
)</b></a>

How does it determine the address to put in the link?

From the little bit I know, I assume if you have a "Open WebGUI" button, you're using the Docker and not the plug-in.

I use the plug-in version and always just manually went to "ipaddress:6237" when needing to use unBalance"

I believe the plug-in version was recommended a few months back for permission and disk access reasons.

However, for the particular question you asked, I don't know the answer to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why, but suddenly the Open WebGUI button no longer works.

<a style='color:green;' target='_blank' href='http://:6237' title='unBALANCE plugin'><b>Open Web UI ( v1.7.0
)</b></a>

How does it determine the address to put in the link?

Hi glave, it gets the ip from the unRAID environment, not sure if something changed in v6.2.

But as rmeaux mentioned, you can always type manually the url (ipaddress:6237)

In any case, I'll look into the issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have thought about some improvements to unBALANCE .... probably, the two more important are displaying a UI in the main interface (by that I mean it to be updating continuosly) and in second place check for the rsync/copy after it's done ... I appreciate the input and will probably ask for help for the next release. Thanks a lot to you all for the support!

Would it be possible to add a link to the log file? I've hit some errors recently and it just refers me to the log file which I have to remember where it is each time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think it wouldn't be that difficult .. btw, did the ip missing issue was solved ?

Nope.  Oddly it still doesn't have the IP populated in the launch link,  but I know it did sometime in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Like others, I'm in the midst of migrating from reiserfs to xfs and I'm looking forward to using this now. I've been doing the moves manually, and this does look like it will make life much easier.

I've been doing my file moves manually, following this forum message, and one of the things bjp999 specifically mentions (in his step 8 ) is confirming that everything copied correctly. Is that build in to this script? Based on my reading of rsync docs I'm not sure that I'm seeing that, but I'm certainly no rsync expert.

I'm currently in the midst of a 3TB manual move, but will switch to using this as soon as that one finishes up!

Like others, I'm in the midst of migrating from reiserfs to xfs and I'm looking forward to using this now. I've been doing the moves manually, and this does look like it will make life much easier.

I've been doing my file moves manually, following this forum message, and one of the things bjp999 specifically mentions (in his step 8 ) is confirming that everything copied correctly. Is that build in to this script? Based on my reading of rsync docs I'm not sure that I'm seeing that, but I'm certainly no rsync expert.

I'm currently in the midst of a 3TB manual move, but will switch to using this as soon as that one finishes up!

Hi FeeMan, no the plugin is not verifying the move. You could still add the required argument to rsync's custom command (in the settings page).

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced