[Plugin] unbalanced

I have to say one thing .. that does look awful :D

trurl's comment makes a lot of sense, it seems like you have many top level files.

This was reported previously and woble offered a solution 

I side-stepped it because I generally prefer the footer to remain visible (fixed) at the bottom of the browser window, so I had the scroller act as viewport slider.

It definitely looks like this approach doesn't work with large lists, so I'll make the footer 'float' to the bottom of the content, as suggested by woble.

5 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

trurl's comment makes a lot of sense, it seems like you have many top level files.

Since user shares are simply the top level folders on cache and all array disks with the same name, any file at the top level of a disk; i.e., not inside a folder, isn't in any user share, and so no user share rules can be applied to them. Unless you are sharing disks on the network or letting some app directly access disks (I don't recommend either of these), the files aren't accessible except at the command line.

Everything worked perfectly fine before.  The update seems to have locked the maximum size of the tree view CSS.

.height100, .tree-view {
  1. /* height: calc(100vh - 250px); */
}

this is what messes it up.  

and no, there are no files at top level.  every share has folders within it, it's this CSS that was the issue

Just wanted to give thanks to some of the guys that drove unBALANCE's implementation, at its very early stages (so, initially it was a docker) :

- sparklyballs was the first to figure out the unbalanced scale (aptalca made some suggestions)

- Hernandito's icon is the icon I'm using to this day

- trurl commented from day one

- Early adopters (Manticore, interwebtech, bungee9, smdion and many others I can't remember to reference now)

- Squid (with his comments, made me trust the plugin model)

I may have left some people behind, attribute this to my short memory, more than my gratefulness !

Edited by jbrodriguez
  • Like 1

I just downloaded this plug-in. Looks great, except that I can't use it because it won't let me un-check Dry Run, so can't move any files.

I'm using FireFox, latest version. Tried MS Edge, same issue. Will try Google Chrome next . . .

Same issue in Chrome. Am I missing something????

Edited by vlad1966
On 4/8/2018 at 2:37 PM, vlad1966 said:

I just downloaded this plug-in. Looks great, except that I can't use it because it won't let me un-check Dry Run, so can't move any files.

I'm using FireFox, latest version. Tried MS Edge, same issue. Will try Google Chrome next . . .

Same issue in Chrome. Am I missing something????

@vlad1966 I think you have to run the plan option first so it gathers then information, then once it knows what it will be doing it will allow you to either leave Dry Run ticked or untick to commit the move.

If its not that, and I know you have tried two browsers already, but double check you dont have any browser plugins that may be affecting the dry run tick box. May seem obvious, but I've been caught out before with the simple stuff haha

Hey everyone!

Just a quick one, I'm aware that the drives slow down as they fill up, however I think something may be amiss with my UnRAID and/or UnBalance, as I'm currently around hour number 39 for my move of files. Its going quite slow.

001.thumb.png.ab7ad0b10c95a3414704ff6697d7e03a.png

002.thumb.png.3f56134864678c63a879948d7591cd80.png

I'm just moving all data off my first 4TB drive onto my other drives, as I'm preparing to encrypt my array.

Sidenote: @gridrunner /spaceinvaderone has a great video (like all his videos) on how to do this if anyone is looking for a guide.

However from the beginning its been so slow, the first time it even caused unbalance to crash around hour 15. At the start for about 30 seconds it went at about 60MB/s, then over the next minute or so it goes down to where it is now at around 16MB/s, and doesn't go any higher. The drive I'm moving the data off was only half full, so I wouldn't have thought that would have caused an issue, also the read speeds from that source drive should be a lot higher, and the fact its only writing from the source drive to another single drive at a time.

I have two SATA 3 ports, one for my 8TB parity drive, and the other for another 8TB data drive. The rest are four 4TB drives connected to SATA 2 ports. I cant see any errors listed against my drives in dashboard:

003.thumb.png.113823eaf0a82a7f5700fa56e33752ab.png

I've also attache my diagnostics that I generated a few mins ago.

unraid-diagnostics-20180411-1832.zip

It may just be how its meant to be, however it never hurts to ask right? :)

Any help would be welcomed....

Cheers

Dan

Edited by blade316
images didnt show up
2 minutes ago, blade316 said:

Just a quick one, I'm aware that the drives slow down as they fill up, however I think something may be amiss with my UnRAID and/or UnBalance, as I'm currently around hour number 39 for my move of files. Its going quite slow.

Just a couple of follow-up questions until somebody who knows what they're talking about replies properly...

• Is mover running at the moment?
  • Is anything else happening that would use the disks?  (downloads/unpacking, parity check, copies to/from/across array, virtual machines, Plex streams, etc.)

On my machine, things can grind if a couple of things are heavy lifting at the same time.  Not necessarily on the drives in question, but I'm guessing the controller can choke depending on where each drive is plugged in.  I remember the mover kicking in when I was unbalancing, and it all went silly.  I did also have one drive that had a pointlessly slow write speed once - didn't show as a fault, but something wasn't 'right.

Hope this helps - if not, I'm sure somebody will be along soon... :)

3 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Just a couple of follow-up questions until somebody who knows what they're talking about replies properly...

• Is mover running at the moment?
  • Is anything else happening that would use the disks?  (downloads/unpacking, parity check, copies to/from/across array, virtual machines, Plex streams, etc.)

On my machine, things can grind if a couple of things are heavy lifting at the same time.  Not necessarily on the drives in question, but I'm guessing the controller can choke depending on where each drive is plugged in.  I remember the mover kicking in when I was unbalancing, and it all went silly.  I did also have one drive that had a pointlessly slow write speed once - didn't show as a fault, but something wasn't 'right.

Hope this helps - if not, I'm sure somebody will be along soon... :)

good point, i probably should have included some more information… to answer your questions, I do not have a cache drive, so the mover is not running.

I do have some docker containers running, however most of them are idle, and its just small ones like couchpotato, deluge, sonarr etc. Currently nothing downloading or unpacking, no parity checks, nothing copying other than unbalance .... but I do have a plex direct play stream running as I'm watching X-Files at the moment :) .... although its been running overnight when everything was idling, but still seemed to retain slow speed.

I have a single ubuntu virtual machine just running pihole, so its barely registering anything.

I haven't tried stopping all my docker containers and virtual machine yet, as I really just wanted to see if other users get those similar speeds, and if so then no probs, if not then I could delve into it more.

3 hours ago, blade316 said:

It may just be how its meant to be, however it never hurts to ask right? :)

Any help would be welcomed....

No I/O errors in syslog, so I didn't bother to check anything else.

Moving lots of small files will take longer than moving fewer large files. I don't know if that applies to your situation or not.

vlad1966, I can't think of a reason (since you tried different browsers), other than what blade316 mentioned (about procedure).

blade316, once it's running it's down to disk speed and something like file sizes like trurl mentioned.

I have one disk that is dying and copying speeds are abysmal, I keep running it anyway, to see how far it goes.

In any case, if you have the logs (/boot/logs/unbalance.log), I could take a look.

Thanks !

I saw two operations, the last one completed ok, the first one seems to have suddenly stopped.

From the log, it looks as if the server was rebooted/shutdown, the process wasn't killed and it didn't gracefully stop, it simply didn't log anything else, until a plugin start.

Is this the time when you say it crashed ? What was your experience ? Was it stuck on one file ? Let me know.

I also noticed you were moving the system folder (and libvirt image at least).

I can't remember if system is expected to be on a particular disk.

• 4 weeks later...

v2018.05.09 (5.1.0) is out !

Available space is now calculated using blocks, if all disks have the same block size, otherwise it falls back to the current metric, using bytes.

You can now stop a running operation, but you are responsible for any data clean up.

Additional changes:
- Fix ssl detection
- Fix UI issues
- Increase hard floor to 512Mb
- Use SI's digital units
- Improve logging

Let me know of any issues.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

unBALANCE is crashing out on me when I hit the "Plan" button, I have to go to settings --> unBALANCE and re-start the service. (disable it and re-enable it to get the site to load again)

What logs would you need for this? Just the standard Diagnostics Logs? (attached them just in case its a yes)

server-diagnostics-20180510-1758.zip

Wow, same thing here, although it only happens with a large number of files (dozens was okay, 17k-ish wasn't).

1 hour ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

unBALANCE is crashing out on me when I hit the "Plan" button, I have to go to settings --> unBALANCE and re-start the service. (disable it and re-enable it to get the site to load again)

What logs would you need for this? Just the standard Diagnostics Logs? (attached them just in case its a yes)

server-diagnostics-20180510-1758.zip

Same here .. as soon as i hit the "Plan" button it gets stuck with "PLANNING: Getting items ... "

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced