[Plugin] unbalanced

Hi, just a Quick question about unbalance.  I have a Unraid server with 2 x 6TB disk plus a parity (also 6TB). My array has a total of 12TB.  Currently, my 2 disks are at 98% full (only 220GB of free space on that 12TB).  I have one big user Share (data) that is most of that 11.8TB of data. I will soon add 4 x 6TB to that server. 

Is there a way that I can select my "data" user Share and have it spread equally on all the 6 drives (the 2 that are 98% full would go down a lot in % of usage and the 4 new drives would all have stuff in them)

Is this easy to accomplish in unbalance?

It's pretty easy to move data where you'd like to have it with unBalance.  Wouldn't it be better just to leave your current data where it is so only those two drives get spun up when that data is needed, rather than having the chance of spinning up all the drives at some point?

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, _Shorty said:

Wouldn't it be better just to leave your current data where it is so only those two drives get spun up when that data is needed, rather than having the chance of spinning up all the drives at some point?

This.

While I understand the impulse to spread everything out, it may be advantageous to keep as much as practical on the existing drives, and only move sub folders that are actively getting new content. I'd fill up the old drives as close to full as possible with static content that won't be accessed as much. If you partially fill the new drives, you will be using up the fastest portion of the new drives with old content instead of taking advantage of the high speed for new content.

Hi. I don't have the time to read through the 41 pages of support here. However, here's a brief description of my issue:

Installed unBalance, enabled "Yes", clicked Apply.

No hyperlink to visit GUI. Fine. I try entering it manually.

OK. Tried switching the port #. Still no good.

Is there a simple fix? Is this a common issue?

Nx0l9S5.png

eHtfv9z.png

FJV8CwO.png

Nice app and thanks for the work.

Not sure what the deal is but the original link in the listing in Community Apps has a typo in the support thread link

https://forum.unraid.net/topic/43651-plug-in-unbalance/

vs

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/43651-plug-in-unbalance/

But was updated once I installed your app. I wasn't sure if this is on your end or CA's so I figured I would let someone know.

Thanks again

[edit] actually after a second look it appears to be an issue with the redirect so honestly not sure.

Edited by billotronic
more info
On 7/16/2018 at 3:30 PM, joefreg said:

I can't seem to get any version of v5 to open the WebUI. Any suggestions?  I can get v4 to open the WebUI.

I figured it out because I was having this problem too. The link takes you to http:// where it requires https:// so click the link, edit the URL in your browser, and stick "http://" in front of it. Then the web UI loads.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue w/ Mayhem.  I thought I had moved data from one disk to another...but then noticed that the 'dry run' box was checked.  I am unable to uncheck the box.  Is there anything I should be doing to be able to uncheck?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! 

Sincerely,

Cesar

3 minutes ago, Cesar said:

I am having the same issue w/ Mayhem.  I thought I had moved data from one disk to another...but then noticed that the 'dry run' box was checked.  I am unable to uncheck the box.  Is there anything I should be doing to be able to uncheck?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! 

Sincerely,

Cesar

Which version unRAID? Which browser? Is your server whitelisted?

6 minutes ago, Cesar said:

Constructor, I am on Unraid 6.4.0 & using both Chrome and Opera for browser.  I have not set up server for whitelist.

Possibly an issue with the plugin not supporting your old version of unRAID, I don't know.

Also, calling me "Constructor" is like calling you "Newbie". In other words, you aren't addressing my username, just my title.

Ok....i made some changes to the settings by changing the custom rsync flags from -X to -avPRX.  

I am now able to uncheck the 'dry run' but when I do a Plan...i get multiple errors (wasn't able to get a screenshot).  I was able to click on Move and it performed successfully.

I did end up changing the custom rsync flags to 'default' and still able to uncheck 'dry run' and currently moving 5.7 GB of images from one disk to another.

Trurl, thank you for the assist.  It's much appreciated!

BTW, finished moving 383 GBs of data in 2h25m!  Unbalance worked PERFECTLY!

Cesar

Edited by Cesar

I've been having issues with the app not showing me the logs from my server. I have the ControlR plugin installed on the server and enabled, but it's still says logs aren't available.

I'm in the process of building a backup server and installed the plugin fresh on that box. I connected to it with the app, but it's not showing logs for my brand new backup box, either.

Diagnostics from both boxen attached.

nas-diagnostics-20180917-2003.zip 

backup-diagnostics-20180917-2003.zip

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced