[Plugin] unbalanced

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

As far as I know there is no scheduling function available in unBalance.   It is not a plugin I have used much so it is possible there is a way to do what you want but if so I do not know how.

Sorry, my idea has nothing to do with a shedule function, its a new mode for unbalance. (like gather)

Edited by nuhll
On 8/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, itimpi said:

It sounds as if the User Scripts plugin might be more appropriate to your needs?    It has built in scheduler/cron capability for any script it runs. 

Yep. I know the script, but can unbalance be triggered by a script/command line? 

It's the automated running of unbalance I'm looking for rather than just a way to automate a script. 

1 minute ago, dalben said:

Yep. I know the script, but can unbalance be triggered by a script/command line? 

It's the automated running of unbalance I'm looking for rather than just a way to automate a script. 

In which case I cannot help you as that is not something I have ever wanted to do so have never even tried.   You will have to wait to see if anyone else can help you.

41 minutes ago, itimpi said:

In which case I cannot help you as that is not something I have ever wanted to do so have never even tried.   You will have to wait to see if anyone else can help you.

What about my idea?

Posted Tuesday at 05:28 PM (edited)

Hey, i have an idea for a new function for your plugin!

What about a "balance" mode?

- u select all drives u want to balance and unbalance trys to fill them to the same % up?

Usecase:

if i have a drive failing, i always transfer with gather all data from the drive to all other drives, but then i have always some drives with much more data then all other  (which is relativly risky, when u do a parity rebuild)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

About a "balance" mode, it's not in my plans, as that is sort of the basic functionality of Unraid, with Mover.

Thats 100% nothing mover would do, as far as i know.

It will only do that if you write new files to unraids system, which unbalance does bypass... (then maybe a mode without bypassing unraids "file balancing" system?) You just need to be sure to write to a share where the specified source disk is not part of.

But if im right, that would also not work, because (im not sure) you are not allowed to write from mnt disk to mnt user ?!? (or lets say you shouldnt)

Edit:

ill guess you could go around that problem by doin so cp "file" from mnt disk to mnt user "file.something" and if that is successfull, remove old file and rename file then.

But easier would be a balance mode :)

Edited by nuhll

Hi.  I've got 2 TB data on a 4 TB drive.  I'd like to move out the data to 2 units of 1 TB drive, both just finished pre-clearing.  It won't fit.  I've also added another 1 TB drive to the destination, also free of data, though not recently pre-cleared.  All are using XFS.  My share level is 3, Media/ HDMovies/Movies/Movie_names/Movie_files.  

I've been trying to plan, and it says it's not enough.  It asks me to check minimum space for share, 1 changed it to 1 GB.  Still it won't work.  Don't know where to start looking.  How do I proceed to scatter the files in my 4 TB drive?  Is there any log I can provide to request for help?

5 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

unbalance moves folders in blocks, if you try to move a whole share, it's possible that the whole size (across disks) exceeds the remaining free space of a single disk.

Try moving subfolders off of the main share and such, it should help

Indeed, the whole share will not fit a single disk.  So I have to go down to subfolder level so it can split up across disks?

Hi - I'm hoping someone can put my mind at rest, or advise.

I have only just installed unBALANCE and used it for the first time to try and move data about so I could free up disks to upgrade the file system from ReiserFS to XFS.

So, first I added a pre-cleared disk to the array, copied all the data from one of the full (ish) disks to the new one - which left me an empty ReiserFS disk. When I did this it warned that there were 8 files/folders with an owner other than 'nobody' and STRONGLY suggested to run the Docker Safe New Permissions command - which I duly did. I re-planned the move and I was away from my machine, so didn't see any warning message (as this only seems to be shown for a few seconds then disappears!). So, I did the move and all looks OK... the ReiserFS disk only had a handful of empty folders left showing on it... so I formatted this into XFS and all looked good.

I then set up unBALANCE to move the data from then next disk to the newly formatted, empty, XFS disk and hit PLAN. This time it came up with a whole list of 'errors' and recommended running the Docker Safe New Permissions command - which I duly did again. After this was complete I re-planned the move and still have the same list of 'errors'.

I have attached a screen shot of the warning message.

So, I am holding back on moving anything else in case I am doing something wrong - so some advice would be welcomed. Or the other option is to ignore this warning and move it anyway?

Thanks

unBALANCE.jpg

22 minutes ago, SliMat said:

Hi - I'm hoping someone can put my mind at rest, or advise.

I have only just installed unBALANCE and used it for the first time to try and move data about so I could free up disks to upgrade the file system from ReiserFS to XFS.

So, first I added a pre-cleared disk to the array, copied all the data from one of the full (ish) disks to the new one - which left me an empty ReiserFS disk. When I did this it warned that there were 8 files/folders with an owner other than 'nobody' and STRONGLY suggested to run the Docker Safe New Permissions command - which I duly did. I re-planned the move and I was away from my machine, so didn't see any warning message (as this only seems to be shown for a few seconds then disappears!). So, I did the move and all looks OK... the ReiserFS disk only had a handful of empty folders left showing on it... so I formatted this into XFS and all looked good.

I then set up unBALANCE to move the data from then next disk to the newly formatted, empty, XFS disk and hit PLAN. This time it came up with a whole list of 'errors' and recommended running the Docker Safe New Permissions command - which I duly did again. After this was complete I re-planned the move and still have the same list of 'errors'.

I have attached a screen shot of the warning message.

So, I am holding back on moving anything else in case I am doing something wrong - so some advice would be welcomed. Or the other option is to ignore this warning and move it anyway?

Thanks

unBALANCE.jpg

A quick update, I SSH'd to my UnRAID box and looked at the folder (share) permissions in /mnt/user/ and they are all showing nobody : users - all the folders show rwxrwxrwx (0777) and the files show rw-rw-rw (0666). So as far as I can see, this should all be OK?!?!?! I double checked this in WinSCP too and had a quick browse, but cant see any obvious problems.

Thanks

OK... another update - I Planned each share separately and found that the errors were coming from the /appdata share - I used to have an app called 'My Media For Alexa', which I dont use, or have installed now, so I will just delete this directory and that should fix this issue.

Sorry to clog up the forum, but thought I'd post my findings in case anyone else ends up here with a similar issue.

Thanks

1 hour ago, SliMat said:

...and STRONGLY suggested to run the Docker Safe New Permissions command - which I duly did

39 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Or... u just use "install the fix comon problems plugin, then run the docker safe new permissions command"

Thanks Nuhll - as per my original post... I did do this ;-)

Edited by SliMat
3 minutes ago, nuhll said:

and it didnt worked? u have to plan again? 

Hi Nuhll

As my later post said... no, it didnt work, even when I ran PLAN again.

The issue seems to be that the 'Docker Safe New Permissions' command, ignores the /appdata share (for obvious reasons) and its in here that I have a load of folders and files which are not nobody:users... they are root:root - which is why UnBALANCE cant move them. So as I no longer use 'My Media For Alexa', I have manually deleted this directory and now all is working OK.

Thanks for the help though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I ran a gather to a single drive, upon completion the other drive shares are still showing the same folders I 'gathered', do I need to run again? what am I doing wrong?, I did miss a red box about permissions? perhaps that's the issue? problem was it pops up for a few seconds and disappears, Im hoping there isnt any double ups!

v2019.09.07 (5.6.0) is available !

This is a minor release with some new features and some optimizations.

Changes:

- Add elapsed time to transfer screen

- Fix unbalance logo container background color
- Add contrast to drop down in history screen
- Decrease binary size
- Compress server output
- Modify UI version format
- Add notice about exclusive access in the UI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cool, sadly no balance feature :(

On 8/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, jbrodriguez said:

About a "balance" mode, it's not in my plans, as that is sort of the basic functionality of Unraid, with Mover.

Thats 100% nothing mover would do, as far as i know.

It will only do that if you write new files to unraids system, which unbalance does bypass... (then maybe a mode without bypassing unraids "file balancing" system?) You just need to be sure to write to a share where the specified source disk is not part of.

But if im right, that would also not work, because (im not sure) you are not allowed to write from mnt disk to mnt user ?!? (or lets say you shouldnt)

Edit:

ill guess you could go around that problem by doin so cp "file" from mnt disk to mnt user "file.something" and if that is successfull, remove old file and rename file then.

But easier would be a balance mode 

hi, cannot boot the plugin, list log as below

Sep 13 15:27:47 P101-S ool www[19885]: Invalid #command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/start
Sep 13 15:28:26 P101-S ool www[19670]: Invalid #command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/stop
Sep 13 15:28:31 P101-S ool www[19885]: Invalid #command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/start

2019-09-13_153322.thumb.png.d127ca9fbece2e2a5e1b8a9bd536f8e6.png

Edited by rallos_hoo
  • jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced