[Plugin] unbalanced

This might be a dumb question, but just be safe:

The plugin states that the mover should be disabled while doing an unBALANCE operation and that no process should write to the disk(s) (only source or targets as well?). I can disable the scheduled mover using mover tuning, and I am *quite* certain that no other processes write to the drive(s). What can theoretically go wrong if there are processes writing to the drive(s)?

Hi, if you're writing to disks that are targets of an operation, the calculations will(may) be off.

Let's say disk3 is the target, had 1Tb free when unbalance calculated free space, but then you write 600Gb to this same disk via mover or some other tool.

So unbalance starts writing to disk3 thinking there are 1Tb free, when there are actually only 400gb free.

That would be the main issue.

Edited by jbrodriguez

Does this plugin normally do more than one rsync at a time?  My move seems to be nearly stalled....

This is moving to a SMR drive so I expect it to be slower..  but it seems to be crawling!

root@Tower:~# ps auxx | grep rsync
root      7754  0.0  0.0   3904  2152 pts/0    S+   08:33   0:00 grep rsync
root     31102  8.4  0.0  13412  3120 ?        S    07:55   3:08 /usr/bin/rsync -avPR -X T/DVD/MainMovie/FILE1 /mnt/disk8/
root     31103  0.0  0.0  13156  2308 ?        S    07:55   0:00 /usr/bin/rsync -avPR -X T/DVD/MainMovie/FILE1 /mnt/disk8/
root     31104  9.7  0.0  13240  2076 ?        D    07:55   3:38 /usr/bin/rsync -avPR -X T/DVD/MainMovie/FILE1 /mnt/disk8/
root@Tower:~# 

It did this yesterday too...

Thanks,

Jim

Edit:  The sysylog doesn't show any obvious errors...

Edited by jbuszkie
On 3/27/2020 at 7:37 AM, jbuszkie said:

Does this plugin normally do more than one rsync at a time?  My move seems to be nearly stalled....

This is moving to a SMR drive so I expect it to be slower..  but it seems to be crawling!

root@Tower:~# ps auxx | grep rsync
root      7754  0.0  0.0   3904  2152 pts/0    S+   08:33   0:00 grep rsync
root     31102  8.4  0.0  13412  3120 ?        S    07:55   3:08 /usr/bin/rsync -avPR -X T/DVD/MainMovie/FILE1 /mnt/disk8/
root     31103  0.0  0.0  13156  2308 ?        S    07:55   0:00 /usr/bin/rsync -avPR -X T/DVD/MainMovie/FILE1 /mnt/disk8/
root     31104  9.7  0.0  13240  2076 ?        D    07:55   3:38 /usr/bin/rsync -avPR -X T/DVD/MainMovie/FILE1 /mnt/disk8/
root@Tower:~# 

It did this yesterday too...

Thanks,

Jim

Edit:  The sysylog doesn't show any obvious errors...

I think internally rsync may spawn a couple processes.

I would check the source drive status with the drive speed plugin mentioned in the top banner

21 hours ago, gareth_iowc said:

unbalance.thumb.gif.a92453c4cf2df1d307aa0ea387e60eff.gif

Am i doing something wrong here?

It's been stuck on the plan part for 4 hours with little to no cpu or disk usage.

Yep, there seems to be something wrong, after you hit plan, it should open a 'console' to show the operation progress.

Can you check the developer's console for any errors ?

New to unbalance.

I am looking to remove two (1TB) 7 year old drives from my server.  Will move all content onto an 8TB in the array so that I can remove the drives.  Understand that i need to turn off the mover. 

Question: During the re-allocation do I need to shut off all of the dockers?  I typically run Plex, Duckdns, ombi.... with the dockers running on a SSD cache. 

Is it ok for me to keep these running?

On 3/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, jbrodriguez said:

Yep, there seems to be something wrong, after you hit plan, it should open a 'console' to show the operation progress.

Can you check the developer's console for any errors ?

Once i click plan all of the menu log, settings etc becomes un-clickable.

But i have try tried firefox and the program is working as expected.

i disabled add block in chrome and it made no difference.

19 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

The main concept here is that unbalance should be the only tool writing to the target drive during its operation.

If you can make sure that's the case while running other tools (such as plex, mover, etc), then you should be fine.

Great!  Thank you. I assume that if I turn off everything else then Plex should be fine.  Appdata and system are on the cache.  Also, changes are likely written to the cache. So, if it is the only thing running then I assume that I should be pretty safe.

Hello

First time using the plugin and am looking to move a bunch of user shares to other disks

My first run scatter\Move was Disk6\tvshows to Disk7\tvshows

The move seemed to work and the subfolders on Disk6 are gone however the root folder tvshows is still present.  Do I delete this now?  I want to remove the drive so it needs to be empty :)

Thanks a bunch for the help

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

Maybe I should separate this :) 

My first run was Scatter\Move - Disk6\tvshows\"there are subfolders here" TO Disk7\tvshows

tvshows is a user share and is on other Disks

The move seemed to work and the subfolders on Disk6 are gone and are now on Disk7 however the root folder tvshows is still present.  

Watching the YouTube video should have the tvshows root folder on Disk6 been removed?  Would prefer to have no file structure on Disk6 what so ever.

13 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Why? If the disk is to be removed, what does it matter?

Okay that is fair statement not sure if parity still would look at that subfolder in Disk6 as being present or not.  Just the Skrink Array Wiki information says ensure drive is empty :)

Guess my really question is if that tvshows root folder on Disk6 should have been removed after the task was completed and if not is it okay to delete is using MC.

Edited by snuffy47
43 minutes ago, snuffy47 said:

parity still would look at that subfolder in Disk6 as being present or not.  Just the Skrink Array Wiki information says ensure drive is empty

Parity has no concept of files or folders, empty or full. If you remove a drive, parity must be rebuilt, unless the removed drive has had zeroes written to the whole drive. Deleting a file doesn't zero the drive, it simply marks the space as available. That's why data recovery software can sometimes get your files back after they have been deleted.

The shrink array is just trying to enforce the notion that you need to manually back up the files on the drive you want to remove, as any content on removed drives will be gone. Some people have thought in the past that unraid should magically reconstruct data from a missing drive to other data drives in the array, but that just doesn't happen.

If the rsync command that was spawned was allowed to run to completion without error, then yes, I believe the folders would be automatically removed. Be sure you examine the content of those folders before you manually delete them to be sure the copy part of the move operation succeeded without error.

If the rsync command that was spawned was allowed to run to completion without error, then yes, I believe the folders would be automatically removed. Be sure you examine the content of those folders before you manually delete them to be sure the copy part of the move operation succeeded without error.

I have copied the log of the Move - MOVE

Do not see a command to remove the root folder tvshows or a resulted error in the log and the directory is empty

Should have the "tvshows" root folder on Disk6 been removed after the task was completed or is this normal

Thanks

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

Note that if you do instead decide to remove the drive without replacing / rebuilding it, then having it empty will not be enough to allow parity to remain valid. An empty drive is not a clear drive.

Was looking to use the The "Clear Drive Then Remove Drive" Method if was going to shrink my array.  Have no intention of removing the 8G from the system however :)

Going to take a break from this if I reboot again and disk 1 craps out will have to do something 

Thanks again

Maybe this has been answered before.  I've recently change my split levels for some shares.  The function works great to move a single folder, clicking the top drive where the most data is stored.  But this will take quite a long time with 2000 movies.  Is there a way to automate this function. Example: gather all the files of a directory to the drive with the largest file (typically the video file, mkv, mp4, etc)?

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced