[Plugin] unbalanced

I was just playing with this. It would be really nice if we could set a reserve space for instance 5% or 10% from full or whatever the user deems necessary.

Kinda slick too. I've been running dry runs for the heck of it.

Yes, it should be possible.

It would still have a hard floor, in case the percentage represents too little space.

I'll take a look at it.

Thanks. I'm running it now to move some stuff around to aid in my quest to format some drives to XFS. I was at first a bit skeptical, but I must say its working great. Talk about a serious time saver Time/Patience Saver

One thing that threw me off and its not a complaint just for anybody who didn't catch it. My Google Chrome Browser locked up and I thought oh great files moving and now I can't stop it. Glad it runs in the background and a browser refresh simply shows you progress and nothing do with the actual moving of data.

Brilliant script

I installed the plugin, went Settings->Unbalance and hit Done after making sure its set to Enabled yet it shows the Status as Stopped and I cant access the unbalance page.  This is on version unBALANCE v1.2.15.

Edit: I had to switch it to Enabled: No, hit Apply then Enabled: Yes and hit apply for the server to start.

Edit2: Is it possible to select shares to move files from to balance then have it only as much as required to balance the disks?

It doesn't per say Balance the discs. It takes everything off a Disk and spreads it amoung your other discs to clear the selected disk.

For Example. I'm trying to remove all files off my Disk4 to I can format it to XFS. I selected all the shares I want moved on a particular disk in settings then to Home and clicked all the drives I want it to populate then the Calculate button to make sure it has room amoung all the discs.

Click Move and it rips along.

Remember its called UnBalance, not Balance. ;)

Thanks. I'm running it now to move some stuff around to aid in my quest to format some drives to XFS. I was at first a bit skeptical, but I must say its working great. Talk about a serious time saver Time/Patience Saver

One thing that threw me off and its not a complaint just for anybody who didn't catch it. My Google Chrome Browser locked up and I thought oh great files moving and now I can't stop it. Glad it runs in the background and a browser refresh simply shows you progress and nothing do with the actual moving of data.

Brilliant script

Thank you for the kind words kizer !

Yes, the app is a process running on the unRAID server, so closing the browser or even shutting down your workstation won't affect the move operation.

When you open your browser again, it shows you the progress from that moment on.

It doesn't per say Balance the discs. It takes everything off a Disk and spreads it amoung your other discs to clear the selected disk.

For Example. I'm trying to remove all files off my Disk4 to I can format it to XFS. I selected all the shares I want moved on a particular disk in settings then to Home and clicked all the drives I want it to populate then the Calculate button to make sure it has room amoung all the discs.

I think I might include this in the first post, it's a spot on description :)

I think I might include this in the first post, it's a spot on description :)

Have the ability to rebalance when the formatting is done could also be useful.  You move files so that you can format the disks to the new filesystem then balance the array.

I just ran into another problem.  I have 3 folders, NCIS, NCIS LA and NCIS NO, I am able to add NCIS but neither of the other two to the "Folders to be Moved" category.  If I start with NCIS LA I can then move NCIS NO but not NCIS.

Edit: and another problem I am seeing is receiving "rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/disk2/TVShows/Bones": Operation not permitted (1)" on a lot of files.

I'm running it at the moment, evacuating a 3TB Red that's sounding very ill.  I'll let you know the results.

How'd it go?

Just headed over to this thread to ask the same question!  :)

Just had to say this is an excellent script. I am using to move files from a drive that has over filled to a new drive that I have just installed.

If in future it can become integrated into the unRAID GUI in some way then it will be just awesome!

Great work! Thank you!

I just ran into another problem.  I have 3 folders, NCIS, NCIS LA and NCIS NO, I am able to add NCIS but neither of the other two to the "Folders to be Moved" category.  If I start with NCIS LA I can then move NCIS NO but not NCIS.

Well, that's a bug ;D

I have a check in place to avoid including a subfolder of an already selected folder/share ... for example, it doesn't allow you to add both /movies and /movies/comedies, because /movies/comedies is contained within /movies.

In the best case, it would be moving folders once (all /movies hierarchy), then throwing errors about not finding /movies/comedies in the source disk (it's already been moved)

I'll have to improve the check.

Edit: and another problem I am seeing is receiving "rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/disk2/TVShows/Bones": Operation not permitted (1)" on a lot of files.

Internally, unBALANCE uses the diskmv script, which uses rsync.

I've seen rsync throw those errors when the time of a file is kind of weird ... maybe empty, maybe too far in the past or future

Or probably some permission issue.

Who's the owner of the "Bones" folder ? Is it nobody:users or some other user ?

Just had to say this is an excellent script. I am using to move files from a drive that has over filled to a new drive that I have just installed.

If in future it can become integrated into the unRAID GUI in some way then it will be just awesome!

Great work! Thank you!

Thank you danioj !

As for integrating, for my part all good ... except I wouldn't do it myself since I don't like php THAT much :)

I've published v1.3.0.

Features/Bug Fixes:

It allows you to choose the reserved minimum space (in either Mb, Gb or a percentage), but still keeps a minimum hard limit of 450Mb (per kizer)

It also has a better check to prevent adding a subfolder of an existing folder and finally the plugin is disabled by default (per Ryland)

Who's the owner of the "Bones" folder ? Is it nobody:users or some other user ?

Bones is in the TVShow share but on the drive its now showing up as owned by "root".  Whats weird is that my folders in the TVShows share show a combination of being owned by "root" or "nobody" and Im not seeing a pattern.

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced