[Plugin] unbalanced

Hi,

Selected enable but it doesn't start?

Last few log lines....

Feb 19 00:08:07 LSpace php: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/start

Feb 19 00:08:07 LSpace sudo: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/local/emhttp ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/unbalance -port 6237

Feb 19 00:08:41 LSpace kernel: mdcmd (88): spindown 2

Feb 19 00:13:14 LSpace emhttp: /usr/bin/tail -n 42 -f /var/log/syslog 2>&1

I installed this plugin for two purposes: 1.) changing file system from reiserfs to xfs 2.) replacing cache drive without losing information

Now after reading through this thread, I realize that this plugin is perfect for my first goal, but I don't think is capable of helping me out with my second goal.

I don't see the ability to transfer anything from a cache share, so I'm assuming that's not possible.  I want to know what the easiest way of transferring all of my current files that I have running on my cache drive (appdata, downloads, etc) to a disk drive temporarily while I add a new cache drive and format it as xfs.  A plugin or docker would be best.  Using MC is a little too advanced for me and I don't really grasp command line very well.

if unBALANCED can be used for this, please let me know how.  thanks.

Hi,

Selected enable but it doesn't start?

Last few log lines....

Feb 19 00:08:07 LSpace php: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/scripts/start

Feb 19 00:08:07 LSpace sudo: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/local/emhttp ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/unbalance -port 6237

Feb 19 00:08:41 LSpace kernel: mdcmd (88): spindown 2

Feb 19 00:13:14 LSpace emhttp: /usr/bin/tail -n 42 -f /var/log/syslog 2>&1

Rebel, what happens when you click on the green Open Web UI link ?

I installed this plugin for two purposes: 1.) changing file system from reiserfs to xfs 2.) replacing cache drive without losing information

Now after reading through this thread, I realize that this plugin is perfect for my first goal, but I don't think is capable of helping me out with my second goal.

I don't see the ability to transfer anything from a cache share, so I'm assuming that's not possible.  I want to know what the easiest way of transferring all of my current files that I have running on my cache drive (appdata, downloads, etc) to a disk drive temporarily while I add a new cache drive and format it as xfs.  A plugin or docker would be best.  Using MC is a little too advanced for me and I don't really grasp command line very well.

Hi fonzie,

No, unBALANCE doesn't work with the cache drive.

I don't have one in my system, so I can't really help out, but a suggestion would be to use rsync. It's not that difficult in the end.

Check the thread for rfs to xfs data transfer, it should be helpful.

Hi fonzie,

No, unBALANCE doesn't work with the cache drive.

I don't have one in my system, so I can't really help out, but a suggestion would be to use rsync. It's not that difficult in the end.

Check the thread for rfs to xfs data transfer, it should be helpful.

I know what fonzie is asking for and it is something I would find useful as well (I am sure others as well). It would be an excellent option to be able to just select an entire disk-to-disk transfer (if you didn't want to select folders). I am assuming your program scans the array for disk1 thru disk24 IDs....why not add Cache to that scan?

Regardless...this plugin has been extremely awesome for my needs so far. Thanks!

Thanks a lot for this, lboregard.

I have two features request for this:

1) Consolidate Shares: This would read the split level of a desired share and then verify if it's being obeyed; if not, calculate probable scenarios to consolidate it or suggest the user to change it if it's not optimal.

2) Move a share to/from cache disk.

Again, thanks a lot for this.

Ok, I see now :)

I think including the cache disk shouldn't be too difficult. I will look into it.

I'm still figuring out disk-to-disk transfers. Isn't a straight rsync a better fit for the job at hand? After all there are no free space calculations involved, just data transfer.

1) Consolidate Shares: This would read the split level of a desired share and then verify if it's being obeyed; if not, calculate probable scenarios to consolidate it or suggest the user to change it if it's not optimal.

Are you thinking of something along the lines of consld8 (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36201.0) or http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33689.0 ?

It's interesting to see different ways people want to transfer data around in an unRAID array :)

This is an interesting read as well: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 unbalance.go:28: unBALANCE v1.3.4-482.221ac38 starting up ...

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 unbalance.go:38: No config file exists yet. Using app defaults ...

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 server.go:45: Starting service Server ...

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 server.go:62: Serving files from /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 server.go:93: Server started listening on :6237

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 core.go:76: starting service Core ...

F: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 unbalance.go:46: Unable to find unRAID mdcmd (/usr/local/sbin, /root)

root@LSpace:/boot/logs#

I'm running unbalance for the firs time to move around free space on my drives to even it out a bit.  It's still running (about 16% done at this point) but, as I'm watching the array under the unRAID WebGUI Main tab, I see that the destination drives are increasing in space utilized but the "from" disk has not had any drop in data utilized.  I am receiving constant rsync errors while it's running, as seen below.  *Movie Name* is a placeholder, every single file that is being moved is giving this error.  Is this lack of deleting the original file and the rsync errors related?  Are the original files going to be deleted AFTER the entire move is completed?  Why am I getting these rsync errors?  I ask before it's finished because if this plugin is just giving me duplicate files that I don't know how to delete I want to end it before it gets further.

EDIT: I am using unBALANCE v1.3.4-482.221ac38 on unRAID 6.1.8 Plus.  All of my dockers are offline so as not to interfere in anyway with this move.

MOVE: rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/disk5/.": Operation not permitted (1)
MOVE: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1165) [sender=3.1.0]
MOVE: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1165) [sender=3.1.0]
MOVE: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/diskmv -f "Movies/*Movie name* /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk5
MOVE: Moving /mnt/disk1/Movies/21 Jump Street (2012) into /mnt/disk5/Movies/*Movie name*
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*-fanart.jpg
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*-poster.jpg
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*.mkv
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*.nfo
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/Thumbs.db
MOVE: diskmv finished

I'm running unbalance for the firs time to move around free space on my drives to even it out a bit.  It's still running (about 16% done at this point) but, as I'm watching the array under the unRAID WebGUI Main tab, I see that the destination drives are increasing in space utilized but the "from" disk has not had any drop in data utilized.  I am receiving constant rsync errors while it's running, as seen below.  *Movie Name* is a placeholder, every single file that is being moved is giving this error.  Is this lack of deleting the original file and the rsync errors related?  Are the original files going to be deleted AFTER the entire move is completed?  Why am I getting these rsync errors?  I ask before it's finished because if this plugin is just giving me duplicate files that I don't know how to delete I want to end it before it gets further.

MOVE: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/diskmv -f "Movies/*Movie name* /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk5
MOVE: Moving /mnt/disk1/Movies/21 Jump Street (2012) into /mnt/disk5/Movies/*Movie name*
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*-fanart.jpg
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*-poster.jpg
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*.mkv
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/*Movie name*.nfo
MOVE: ./Movies/*Movie name*/Thumbs.db
MOVE: diskmv finished

I am having the same issue with this plugin...all files were duplicated on both drives and nothing was moved.

I tried executing it as root, but that did not work either...

Any ideas?

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 unbalance.go:28: unBALANCE v1.3.4-482.221ac38 starting up ...

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 unbalance.go:38: No config file exists yet. Using app defaults ...

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 server.go:45: Starting service Server ...

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 server.go:62: Serving files from /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 server.go:93: Server started listening on :6237

I: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 core.go:76: starting service Core ...

F: 2016/02/19 17:31:57 unbalance.go:46: Unable to find unRAID mdcmd (/usr/local/sbin, /root)

root@LSpace:/boot/logs#

That's strange.

What's the output of $ which mdcmd ? or $ type mdcmd ?

phil1c/airbillion,

Yes the files are copied first, then deleted when the diskmv command has completed.

The rsync errors are most likely due to mismatch in ownership.

unBALANCE runs as user nobody so if it can't set the time on the destination, it probably won't be able to delete the files on the source (that's what I'm thinking right now).

Can you check who owns the files on the source ?

Something like $ ls -al /mnt/disk5/Movies/

phil1c/airbillion,

Yes the files are copied first, then deleted when the diskmv command has completed.

unBALANCE runs as user nobody so if it can't set the time on the destination, it probably won't be able to delete the files on the source (that's what I'm thinking right now).

Hi,

Ran the command and nobody:users has ownership for all my movie folders...

The only thing i don't like is that directories don't keep their original creation date on the new destination, maybe that can be fixed on future releases?

I also wish i could select multiple source drives, i might be wrong but i remember that being possible on very early builds of the docker/plugin?

Great tool!

phil1c/airbillion,

Hi,

hi airbillion, just to make sure ... in addition to ownership, what are the actual permissions ? do they seem alright ?

The only thing i don't like is that directories don't keep their original creation date on the new destination, maybe that can be fixed on future releases?

I also wish i could select multiple source drives, i might be wrong but i remember that being possible on very early builds of the docker/plugin?

Great tool!

You know, I've seen that too.

Matter is ... the underlying rsync command copies files, from one disk to another, which resets creation date ... CORRECTLY I have to say

So ... I have to look into it and perhaps add some KEEP SOURCE TIMESTAMPS feature or something like that.

Has anybody seen/cared about this ???

Unbalance keeps stopping after calculating.

Here is my log.

unbalance.png

I was looking at the logs you were showing ...

Is there any "strange" files in "/mnt/disk3/Media/Downloads/"  ???

Probably it's a very small sized file, and I would need to fix the code ... I'll look into into in anyways, but it would be helpful to get some confirmation ;)

phil1c/airbillion,

Hi,

hi airbillion, just to make sure ... in addition to ownership, what are the actual permissions ? do they seem alright ?

Yes...the permissions seem fine too:

drwxr-sr-x

Unbalance keeps stopping after calculating.

Here is my log.

unbalance.png

I was looking at the logs you were showing ...

Is there any "strange" files in "/mnt/disk3/Media/Downloads/"  ???

Probably it's a very small sized file, and I would need to fix the code ... I'll look into into in anyways, but it would be helpful to get some confirmation ;)

There are only folders in there, no files. I can't edit the folders through afp because they are created by sabnzb, but if unbalance uses the command line that shouldn't be a problem right? Maybe I need to change the user?

Edit: Actually there is probably the .whatever files that Apple devices make in there. 

There are only folders in there, no files. I can't edit the folders through afp because they are created by sabnzb, but if unbalance uses the command line that shouldn't be a problem right? Maybe I need to change the user?

Edit: Actually there is probably the .whatever files that Apple devices make in there.

Can you show me the output of $ find "/mnt/disk3/Media/." ! -name . -prune -exec du -bs {} + ?

Also a simple $ du -bs "/mnt/disk3/Media/" ?

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced