[Plugin] unbalanced

29 minutes ago, Trylo said:

I decided to gather one share that has only around 400GB, it started copying very fast but now after 130GB has been transferred it slowed down to 38MB/s. It should be doing 3-4x that. What do you think might be the problem?

What makes you think it should be going much faster?   That is not an atypical speed when copying to a drive in the parity protected array.

You might find this section from the Unraid online documentation to be relevant?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, itimpi said:

What makes you think it should be going much faster?   That is not an atypical speed when copying to a drive in the parity protected array.

I thought that if a drive can do 100-150 MB/s that's what should be expected. Another reason is that it declined over time. At the beginning copying was much faster.

Just now, Trylo said:

I thought that if a drive can do 100-150 MB/s that's what should be expected. Another reason is that it declined over time. At the beginning copying was much faster.

It is likely that the initial burst of speed is from caching in RAM.    You are never going to get anywhere near the drives raw speed for the reasons given here although that link also gives suggestions for getting the best speed.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

It is likely that the initial burst of speed is from caching in RAM.    You are never going to get anywhere near the drives raw speed for the reasons given here although that link also gives suggestions for getting the best speed.

I don't particularly need this transfer to be faster. I was just afraid that it might be a sign of some sort of misconfiguration.

Thank you for that link. It explains a lot.

Thanks for this plugin. I have my shares setup so they each use their own hard drive exclusively. I prefer the order of keeping things together, and i've been using this plugin to shift files when necessary to the drive its share is assigned to. One of my shares now exceeds the size of its hard drive, so I've added an additional drive for that share so it uses 2 disks exclusively, similar to the example below,

Share 1 = Disk 1

Share 2 = Disk 2

Share 3 = Disk 3, Disk 4

As far as I can tell its not possible, but can you please confirm if there is any way to use this plugin (or other means) to gather the files from Share 3 scattered across all disks and place them on either Disk 3 or Disk 4?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide

14 minutes ago, FrequencyLost said:

Thanks for this plugin. I have my shares setup so they each use their own hard drive exclusively. I prefer the order of keeping things together, and i've been using this plugin to shift files when necessary to the drive its share is assigned to. One of my shares now exceeds the size of its hard drive, so I've added an additional drive for that share so it uses 2 disks exclusively, similar to the example below,

Share 1 = Disk 1

Share 2 = Disk 2

Share 3 = Disk 3, Disk 4

As far as I can tell its not possible, but can you please confirm if there is any way to use this plugin (or other means) to gather the files from Share 3 scattered across all disks and place them on either Disk 3 or Disk 4?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide

I'm not sure if the unBALANCE plugin can do what you are wanting to do.

I would use rsync at the command prompt and move a top level directory to your disk 4 so that you have space on disk 3 and disk 4. In the unRAID share management page, I would set Share 3 to only use Disk 3 and Disk 4, and then only split at the top level.

If you are uncomfortable with rsync at the command prompt, you may want to look into the binhex - Krusader - Docker Container, and use that to move your files. When you set up Krusader, set your path varable to /mnt and not /mnt/user so that you can see the disk shares.

One last note, wether you are using rsync or Krusader, make sure never to move or copy files from a "disk" share to a "user" share. Always go disk to disk or user to user.

i.e. rsync -a /mnt/disk1/sharename/folder /mnt/disk2/sharename/folder

or

rsync -a /mnt/user/sharename/folder /mnt/user/someothershare/folder

8 minutes ago, jbat66 said:

I'm not sure if the unBALANCE plugin can do what you are wanting to do.

I would use rsync at the command prompt and move a top level directory to your disk 4 so that you have space on disk 3 and disk 4. In the unRAID share management page, I would set Share 3 to only use Disk 3 and Disk 4, and then only split at the top level.

If you are uncomfortable with rsync at the command prompt, you may want to look into the binhex - Krusader - Docker Container, and use that to move your files. When you set up Krusader, set your path varable to /mnt and not /mnt/user so that you can see the disk shares.

One last note, wether you are using rsync or Krusader, make sure never to move or copy files from a "disk" share to a "user" share. Always go disk to disk or user to user.

i.e. rsync -a /mnt/disk1/sharename/folder /mnt/disk2/sharename/folder

or

rsync -a /mnt/user/sharename/folder /mnt/user/someothershare/folder

Thanks for that information :) I use command line considerably for networking equipment, but my unraid/linux knowledge is still of beginner level. I read somewhere not to mess with unraid disk shares, so have avoided it so far. But your explanation makes sense, disk to disk or user to user.  I've got Krusader installed so will try that method for now and then try rsync later when I'm feeling more confident.

14 hours ago, FrequencyLost said:

Thanks for that information :) I use command line considerably for networking equipment, but my unraid/linux knowledge is still of beginner level. I read somewhere not to mess with unraid disk shares, so have avoided it so far. But your explanation makes sense, disk to disk or user to user.  I've got Krusader installed so will try that method for now and then try rsync later when I'm feeling more confident.

Or you could use midnight commander at the command prompt (mc)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, NLS said:

You need to remove "v" from your version, because you mess sorting...

That's a complication

The history of that v is that originally the version numbers were 1.x, 2.x etc  Because of the auto update plugin, the author kindly changed it to vYYYY.MM.DD so that auto update could do it's thing on it.

Unfortunately now if the "v" gets removed, then unRaid will never find an update available for it, since on a comparision vYYYY.MM.DD is always greater than YYYY.MM.DD

ie:  You've just got to deal with it 

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

That's a complication

The history of that v is that originally the version numbers were 1.x, 2.x etc  Because of the auto update plugin, the author kindly changed it to vYYYY.MM.DD so that auto update could do it's thing on it.

Unfortunately now if the "v" gets removed, then unRaid will never find an update available for it, since on a comparision vYYYY.MM.DD is always greater than YYYY.MM.DD

Or he could switch it to a "w"; technically removing the "v" and letting it find newer versions.

I'll just show myself the way out...

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

I'm not sure I follow BRiT, changing it to a "w" would work better ?

No, he was being funny. The request was to remove the v, which is technically accomplished by changing to a w, in that it's no longer a v.

Doesn't accomplish anything, but still technically honours the request.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, Squid said:

That's a complication

Well since you build CA, you could just handle it fine transparently. Either in a generic way ("guessing" that a "v" or "v.", and possibly a couple of other prefixes in the beginning are to be ignored - which is not a bad idea even for sorting reasons, maybe look into it?), or just hard-code the single time that this changes.

As long as there is will (and strong enough OCD), there are are solutions.

55 minutes ago, ICDeadPpl said:

If author removed the "v" in the version number, wouldn't uninstalling the plugin and then installing it make it see new versions without the "v"?

Surely would. The problem being how do you "make" people see this change (or the auto-update).

1 minute ago, NLS said:

Well since you build CA, you could just handle it fine transparently. Either in a generic way ("guessing" that a "v" or "v.", and possibly a couple of other prefixes in the beginning are to be ignored - which is not a bad idea even for sorting reasons, maybe look into it?), or just hard-code the single time that this changes.

As long as there is will (and strong enough OCD), there are are solutions.

Surely would. The problem being how do you "make" people see this change (or the auto-update).

Maybe push a mock update to the v-version with changelog only requesting users to uninstall & re-install the plugin, so that the new versioning format can take over.

19 minutes ago, ICDeadPpl said:

Maybe push a mock update to the v-version with changelog only requesting users to uninstall & re-install the plugin, so that the new versioning format can take over.

Well I thought about that (and actually edited it out from my last reply), but this wouldn't solve the problem for people that just use auto-update.

So best solution would be the author to make the change and Squid to transparently process it.

2 hours ago, NLS said:

So best solution would be the author to make the change and Squid to transparently process it.

That's a lot of work to address something that isn't a functionality issue. Trust me, I understand OCD tendencies, but demanding that volunteers devote their time to fix something that is cosmetic only isn't realistic.

• Like 1
  • jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced