[Plugin] unbalanced

On 12/12/2021 at 10:07 PM, hasown said:

If you're moving a folder named "/mnt/user/media" that has hardlinks to "/mnt/user/downloads", then Unbalance (which uses rsync) will not touch the "/mnt/user/downloads" files, even if there are hardlinks to files in there. The preservation of hardlinks will only happen for files within "/mnt/user/media". Also, hardlinks in general act pretty weird on Unraid and they're not recommended, iirc.

Noted, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if someone is still using the plugin here, but I wanted to ask if someone knows why it shows me the pool 'Cache' only, but not the other ones I have.

For other users unBALANACE shows all their pools, except the encrypted ones. But in my case, I have a total of 3 different pools, one of them is the main one: Cache. And non of them are encrypted. All are in BTRFS.

I have tried re-installing it again, but stills showing the same pool (Cache).

Thank you.

7858758678.JPG

86875858.JPG

Edited by SmartPhoneLover
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

Don't know if someone is still using the plugin here, but I wanted to ask if someone knows why it shows me the pool 'Cache' only, but not the other ones I have.

For other users unBALANACE shows all their pools, except the encrypted ones. But in my case, I have a total of 3 different pools, one of them is the main one: Cache. And non of them are encrypted. All are in BTRFS.

I have tried re-installing it again, but stills showing the same pool (Cache).

Thank you.

7858758678.JPG

86875858.JPG

I've been wondering about this too, and after reading through the last 5-10 pages in the thread I believe it doesn't work with cache pools yet due to identification issues. I cross my fingers and hope for an update!

• Like 1

I am moving data from one drive to another using this plugin for the first time.  I am using scatter/move and I can see the target drive filling up but the source drive remains the same?  As I watch it working if I go and check the target drive the file has copied over but it still remains on the source drive.  Am I missing something?  Why are the files not being removed from the source drive as it is working?

• 2 weeks later...

After using Scatter to move data off of a failing drive, I'm looking to use Gather to pull things back together a bit. It seems that there's an issue in how it decides which disks it can move data to.

I've got a TV show with data on disk3 & disk7. On disk3, there is 2.43GB of files. On disk7, there are two images totaling less than 400KB.

When selecting a Target, I'm shown disk7 first, with 2.43GB to move everything there. I'm not shown disk3 as a destination option at all. My disk3 currently has 537MB of space, so I can see where 2.43GB > 537MB and it doesn't offer that as a location, but the vast majority of data already resides on disk3, and really, only about 400KB of data needs to be moved there.

I see that at a simple level, not presenting disk3 as a destination makes sense, but there is plenty of space for the data that isn't already on disk3.

Is this a known issue?

On 1/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, rallos_hoo said:

hello,

Due to unraid 6.9 now support multiple cache pools, may this plugin add the feature moving files between cache pools?

From what I've seen it certainly does. When I selected files on a disk I was clearing, it defaulted to selecting all other disks as destinations. I had to specifically remove my two pools in order to get it to not put data there.

I'm reasonably certain that if you select data that's on one of your pools, you could select the other pool as the destination.

55 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

From what I've seen it certainly does. When I selected files on a disk I was clearing, it defaulted to selecting all other disks as destinations. I had to specifically remove my two pools in order to get it to not put data there.

I'm reasonably certain that if you select data that's on one of your pools, you could select the other pool as the destination.

No, I don't think it does see any more than the "original" cache. Can you show a screenshot?

1 hour ago, kim_sv said:

No, I don't think it does see any more than the "original" cache. Can you show a screenshot?

My pool drives:

image.png.e535dc41130bf0b131c12261057edc01.png

Unbalance, in SCATTER mode, showing the option to move data to both pools:

image.thumb.png.782943fda7b4babb467488c98badbc5d.png

Unbalance in GATHER mode showing the option to move data to either pool:

image.png.4c7a0ac7e402261be3753bab2fba180d.png

The most annoying part, to me, was that they are selected by default in SCATTER mode and I had to constantly remember to deselect them as I was moving data off of my failing drive. It would be great if there were some settings that would cause Unbalance to ignore drives when selecting the default set of destinations. More than once, I accidentally moved data to both pools, then had to go clean it up again.

Are you sure you're on the latest version? I don't have a clue when the plugin was last updated, but I've got CA doing automatic updates, so reasonably certain that I'm on whatever the latest may be.

Edited by FreeMan

If I wanted to reduce the number of drives in my array by one disk, say a 3TB drive.

Would I do the following:

1. Use the unbalance plug in to scatter the contents of the drive to all other drives.
  2. Confirm there is no data on the drive when completed
  3. Stop the array
  4. Remove the disk from the configuration
  5. Go to tools/new config and do a new config preserving drive assignments
  6. Save and rebuild parity based on the new config?

Does this sound like the correct steps/actions to take?

After running the Unbalance plugin I am getting a report that says 11 files or folders don't have the correct permissions and to run the Safe dock permissions, which I ran and then I reran the Unbalance plugin dry run and I am still getting the error.

There are some permission issues with the folders/files you want to transfer
11 file(s)/folder(s) with an owner other than 'nobody'
0 file(s)/folder(s) with a group other than 'users'
O folder(s) with a permission other than 'drwxrwxrwx'
O files(s) with a permission other than '-rw-rw-rw-' or '-r--r--r--
You can find more details about which files have issues in the log file (/boot/logs/unbalance.log)
At this point, you can transfer the folders/files if you want, but be advised that it can cause errors in the operation
You are STRONGLY suggested to install the Fix Common Problems plugin, then run the Docker Safe New Permissions command

Edited by ashman70
On 2/1/2022 at 12:28 AM, FreeMan said:

My pool drives:

image.png.e535dc41130bf0b131c12261057edc01.png

Unbalance, in SCATTER mode, showing the option to move data to both pools:

image.thumb.png.782943fda7b4babb467488c98badbc5d.png

Unbalance in GATHER mode showing the option to move data to either pool:

image.png.4c7a0ac7e402261be3753bab2fba180d.png

The most annoying part, to me, was that they are selected by default in SCATTER mode and I had to constantly remember to deselect them as I was moving data off of my failing drive. It would be great if there were some settings that would cause Unbalance to ignore drives when selecting the default set of destinations. More than once, I accidentally moved data to both pools, then had to go clean it up again.

Are you sure you're on the latest version? I don't have a clue when the plugin was last updated, but I've got CA doing automatic updates, so reasonably certain that I'm on whatever the latest may be.

I am confused, what's wrong with my Unbalance????

Cause my cache device is nvme SSD ???

2022-02-06_110054.thumb.jpg.5e06eaf6eae4d7072dfd0746e7644b22.jpg2022-02-06_110901.jpg.5179c2aa7fbc3aa51495d0fa58d364ac.jpg

Edited by rallos_hoo
On 2/5/2022 at 10:07 PM, rallos_hoo said:

I am confused, what's wrong with my Unbalance????

Cause my cache device is nvme SSD ???

Mine are standard SATA SSDs - maybe that's the difference. AIUI, there are some issues with NVME devices here and there, but I don't know all the details. Maybe do some searches throughout the forum to see what you can turn up. Make sure you know which version of UNRAID they refer to because I know support has been improving.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, ashman70 said:

If I wanted to reduce the number of drives in my array by one disk, say a 3TB drive.

Would I do the following:

1. Use the unbalance plug in to scatter the contents of the drive to all other drives.
  2. Confirm there is no data on the drive when completed
  3. Stop the array
  4. Remove the disk from the configuration
  5. Go to tools/new config and do a new config preserving drive assignments
  6. Save and rebuild parity based on the new config?

This does seem to be the proper steps. I'd suggest searching the main support forum as I know this has been asked dozens of times at least.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, ashman70 said:

After running the Unbalance plugin I am getting a report that says 11 files or folders don't have the correct permissions and to run the Safe dock permissions, which I ran and then I reran the Unbalance plugin dry run and I am still getting the error.

You may want to raise a separate question about that one. Also, make sure nothing else is writing to disk as that may effect DSP's ability to change permissions.

Is it possible to cancel a pending action?

I've started a move for a share after changing the Share split level, but then notice some of the folders that will be moved are on the cache drive, which will move them to the desired location with the mover script anyway. Is it possible to cancel these pending moves before they are processed?

My own fault, but I forgot to stop unbalance when shutting down the server. Now I have to wait for the entire rsync process for a particular folder of shows to finish moving before it unmounts the drives. I thought stopping unbalance would stop after finishing a single file transfer but it doesn't. It only stops when the whole folder is moved.

I am assuming this is normal plugin behavior?

hi everyone, my job is really taking up a lot of my time, i'm trying to balance work/personal as much as i can, which leaves me with little time for my other projects.

i'd still like to extend unbalance for multiple cache pools, but since i don't use it, i need some data to make it work.

This post

fleshes out what i would need.

if anyone is up for it, i will take a look.

and i'd like to give some thanks

- forum members like FreeMan and JonathanM that always provide support on the thread

- the donations you guys send, i will not get rich off of them (2 o 3 per year) :), but i really appreciate them, for what they represent, thanks a lot !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.

After upgrading parity disk to a bigger one I added the old parity disk to the array, now with more free space I want to move files from Disk1 to Disk3 but no matter hoy much I tried unBalance isn't doing anything.

I've tried scatter, select folder to be move from Disk1, then select destination Disk3, when pressed Plan permissions error or warning shows as this:

image.png.b97ae6a58b079ec712f6fa9985a21c27.png

Ran Fix common problems extended test and it returned this: (other directories and irrelevant info not included on the screenshot)

image.png.156f63cb5b39a185cb20330e9bc4af9b.png

If I continue and select move it says all files were moved but after checking destination Disk that isn't true. Tried copy instead but same result.

All Dockers are stopped as well as VMs.

Any hints?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

currently I'm copying all data from one drive (disk 8 ) to another empty drive (disk 9 ) using unBALANCE. The copy process itself works absolutely fine. What I dont't understand is the fact das all other drives have read activity at the same time. I tried it many times and the read transactions are directely corellated to the use of unBALANCE. I would have expected that I see activity on disk 8, disk 9 and the parity drive only. Do anybody know why that is happend? During a long copy process this behaviour is not desired because all the spinned up drives need a lot of electric power. Thanks in advance. 

Best Regards,

Frank

5081796_Bildschirmfoto2022-03-13um16_30_02.thumb.png.c753bab3aea82f0af7bb111cc6551cb9.png

Edited by knarf0007

I searched this thread and didn’t find anything on the subject: Anyone else having trouble using this plugin in a mobile browser (ie. iPadOS)? Tried in Safari, Chrome, and FireFox and same behavior in each:

Plan button doesn’t respond to key presses. Neither screen taps or mouse-click w/track-pad.

Apologies if this is something simple I am overlooking or if it’s been covered before.

Thanks,

Hi,

do you still need these information? I would really appreciate the feature and would like to assist if i can.

Regards

On 2/19/2022 at 11:28 PM, jbrodriguez said:

i'd still like to extend unbalance for multiple cache pools, but since i don't use it, i need some data to make it work.

This post

fleshes out what i would need.

if anyone is up for it, i will take a look.

Hi there - I get the follow warning when I try to move files from one disk to another. I currently have most of my “downloading” containers setup (i.e. sonarr / radarr / jdownloader / qbittorrent etc.) with extra permission “-e UMASK_SET=000”. This is so I can have read/write permissions on Windows samba which is my preferred way to access and move around / edit / remux files etc.

Does the fact that I have this extra permission set on the containers mean i will always get this message on unBALANCE (i.e. are they related)? If the answer is that they are related, Is there any risk to not running the Docker Safe New Perms function in Tools when trying to run unBALANCE? It seems like given new files created by qbit/jdownloader would always add a permission different than what unBALANCE tests for.

There are some permission issues with the folders/files you want to transfer
0 file(s)/folder(s) with an owner other than 'nobody'
0 file(s)/folder(s) with a group other than 'users'
26 folder(s) with a permission other than 'drwxrwxrwx'
239 files(s) with a permission other than '-rw-rw-rw-' or '-r--r--r--'
You can find more details about which files have issues in the log file (/boot/logs/unbalance.log)
At this point, you can transfer the folders/files if you want, but be advised that it can cause errors in the operation
You are STRONGLY suggested to install the Fix Common Problems plugin, then run the Docker Safe New Permissions command

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced