New Emby Docker

Hello from Russia! My English is completely bad, I write through Google translator =). Most recently, I've built a home server running unraid and it's awesome!
my motherboard asrock J4205-ITX supports hardware transcoding
(Supports HW Accelerated Decoders: H.264 @ level 5.2, HEVC (H.265) 10b @MP level 5.1 (GPU accelerated), JPEG, VP8, VP9). I'm using the official Emby-Docker

Now the question is: does unRaid support hardware 
transcoding in Emby
Edited by vanes

I found that emby uses ffmpeg, it supports Intel Quick Sync
my motherboard also supports Quick Sync
but when I play HEVC and emby start transcoding (the file appears in the decoding folder), I get 100% load on the processor and it's not like hardware decoding .... In the EMBY transcoding settings changed different ways of transcoding - the result is the same

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone updated this docker to the beta .NET version? 

I am having problems when trying to edit artwork on some movies. It is crashing my docker.

Here is the error in my unraid logs "Dec 7 05:47:38 Tower kernel: EmbyServer[17924]: segfault at 0 ip 000015240ad625c0 sp 000015236abde688 error 4 in libc-2.17.so[15240acf0000+1aa000]"

I posted my emby logs over in the emby forums but thought I would as here as well. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53578-net-docker-crashing-when-looking-at-artwork/

Hi, will hardware transoding come to this docker or will I have to switch to another?

Many thanks
Yes the netcore will have support for hardware decoding. Due to time constraints I'm no longer the main developer of this container. So issues should be posted on emby's forums. I'm not sure the other developer monitors this thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Yes the netcore will have support for hardware decoding. Due to time constraints I'm no longer the main developer of this container. So issues should be posted on emby's forums. I'm not sure the other developer monitors this thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The new netcore container doesn't using unraid with a G4560 or J3455 CPU.

HW transcoding looks very good.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

Hi all I am new to UNRAID and spent hours trying to get emby  running.

I had issues with playback working on the browser and managed to fix it as it was a permission issue.

See my thread here on how I resolved it - 

I just need to test direct playback now to make sure its working :) - I hope it helps those that are stuck.

P.S. I was very surprised at how much CPU Emby uses when transcoding via UNRAID. It looks like there is a higher overhead for Linux as opposed to Windows systems

• 2 weeks later...

anybody please tell me how to make a working docker template for unraid of embyserver_netcore and make it do hardware transcoding via quicksync... Is this possible? plex docker container works perfect on my asrock j4205 on my unraid 6.4rc21 with activated i915, but I like emby more then plex =)

anybody please tell me how to make a working docker template for unraid of embyserver_netcore and make it do hardware transcoding via quicksync... Is this possible? plex docker container works perfect on my asrock j4205 on my unraid 6.4rc21 with activated i915, but I like emby more then plex =)

Actually only VAAPI transcoding works but very well. ;-)

You can use the old config directory but it's recommended to deactivate port mapping in Emby backend to prevent crashing on some celeron and Pentium cpus.

that's great!!! but the question is how to set up a template?

settings are the same as a normal container?

just add --device /dev/dri/renderD128 ??

Yes... And than add the device in Emby backend where you configure transcoding... And you have to add some variable to the container so that emby can access /dev/dri as a user group video. That's explained in the docker hub of the netcore container ;-) 

does not work!! After I open emby-web on 8096 port container stops with error in unraid syslog!

Jan 13 11:24:25 unRaid kernel: traps: EmbyServer[14244] trap invalid opcode ip:1511976282d4 sp:1510f5cd0dd0 error:0 in libcoreclr.so[15119739a000+39e000]

Here is my container! I took variables from here https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver_netcore/

Extra Parameters: --device /dev/dri/renderD128

emby_netcore.jpg.49e70ee830e7c9c266a60fc5c982bb63.jpg

What am I doing wrong? 

I can say with confidence that everything works as it should.

embyserver_netcore works great on unraid with i915 enabled . Did some heavy transcoding (4k hevc 10bit 400mb jellyfish) worked great ~ 25% CPU util.

But what should I do with those errors when using MS EDGE???

1 hour ago, vanes said:

After I open emby-web on 8096 port container stops with error in unraid syslog!

Jan 13 11:24:25 unRaid kernel: traps: EmbyServer[14244] trap invalid opcode ip:1511976282d4 sp:1510f5cd0dd0 error:0 in libcoreclr.so[15119739a000+39e000]

I can say with confidence that everything works as it should.
embyserver_netcore works great on unraid with i915 enabled . Did some heavy transcoding (4k hevc 10bit 400mb jellyfish) worked great ~ 25% CPU util.
But what should I do with those errors when using MS EDGE???

Post in Emby forum. There is a thread for netcore version in the testing area.

Hi - issues playing .mp4 from emby IOS (connecting to unraid docker).   Luke @ emby forum was helping troubleshoot and in the end he recommended installing emby docker from their site to fix issues with ffmpeg.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54841-issue-playing-mp4/?p=532343

as I have only ever installed dockers from Unraid gui, can anyone here first tell me why this docker won't play the file correctly ?   is there a different unraid emby docker (I see a binhex one also?) that would work?

thanks

21 hours ago, vanes said:

After I open emby-web on 8096 port container stops with error in unraid syslog!

Just cleared MS EDGE`s cache and everithing is fine now, no errors, no container crash!!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I was just trying out Emby and well have ran into a few issues.  I got a warning my cache drive was gettin full so I was a bit shocked ( I normally use about 40gb out of 256gb) and I then realized Emby's  /EmbyServer/cache/temp  was taking up 140GB.   Since the directory was owned by deamon:deamon I was not able to delete the temp files through network, so I had to SSH to do that.  

After testing I realized that the /temp folder started getting full again after adding a Live TV EPG XML file.   I added the m3u file and nothing happened, but when I added the EPG via XML it started populating again, to the tune of 18GB on this EPG Refresh, I assume it was due to multiple refreshes without purging that it previously filled up so much.  Not sure why it does that or how to prevent it either.  Also if the folders could be owned by nobody:users like all other apps instead of deamon:deamon, it would also be easier to clean them off via network share.