New Emby Docker

I'm using Emby for both backend library as well as frontend clients (Only the builtin browser client and Roku client is truly free, but I have premier so everything else is free)

Its main purpose for me is to organize the media that I have (I haven't started cleaning up my soundtrack rips or pictures)

I've used Kodi (LibreELEC on an 5th gen i3 intel NUC) with EmbyCon to access the library, and a Roku Premier localy.

I'm mainly using a Roku express, Web browsers, android and ios Emby clients while out of the network.

If you have exotic media (4K, Hi10p, HEVC, HDR, fancy subtitles) a beefier local client is advised (Kodi on a x86 mini pc or android with an external player) unless you have a server with the appropriate CPU power and hardware assisted transcoding (makes a world of difference)

I'm only using a Pentium G4620 to do HA transcoding and is usually get around 60-120 fps transcoding 1080p streams - but I'm typically doing just one stream, maybe two at most.

FYI: I never liked how Plex Server worked, and I think its because of the mandatory file naming scheme. Emby requires this to properly organize TV Episodes, but I keep a lot of Japanese anime that don't show up on TVDB so I can work with it.

20 hours ago, ken-ji said:

I'm using Emby for both backend library as well as frontend clients (Only the builtin browser client and Roku client is truly free, but I have premier so everything else is free)

Its main purpose for me is to organize the media that I have (I haven't started cleaning up my soundtrack rips or pictures)

I've used Kodi (LibreELEC on an 5th gen i3 intel NUC) with EmbyCon to access the library, and a Roku Premier localy.

I'm mainly using a Roku express, Web browsers, android and ios Emby clients while out of the network.

If you have exotic media (4K, Hi10p, HEVC, HDR, fancy subtitles) a beefier local client is advised (Kodi on a x86 mini pc or android with an external player) unless you have a server with the appropriate CPU power and hardware assisted transcoding (makes a world of difference)

I'm only using a Pentium G4620 to do HA transcoding and is usually get around 60-120 fps transcoding 1080p streams - but I'm typically doing just one stream, maybe two at most.

FYI: I never liked how Plex Server worked, and I think its because of the mandatory file naming scheme. Emby requires this to properly organize TV Episodes, but I keep a lot of Japanese anime that don't show up on TVDB so I can work with it.

Thanks for the breakdown.  I'm going to keep playing around with Emby and see where it takes me.

I'm running a dual E5-2670 CPU setup along with 64GB RAM so fortunately backend transcoding works pretty well.

Before the Fire Sticks 4k, I was most recently running a couple VMs of LibreELEC off this server for my client devices, and then using a basic graphics card to output the video.  Have used everything from the original RPi, to RPi 3, and Chromebox.  The reason I've been on the sticks recently is for the native Netflix App as this has always been a bit of a hassle to get to work (and continue working) on Kodi.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, Living Legend said:

read a post about how the Linuxserver.io guys were mostly on Emby these days as it related to Kodi.  Wasn't sure what that meant so I dug a bit further and it appears people use Emby as the backend server that gets updated with media.  This data can be pulled with the Emby/Kodi add on, and run natively on Kodi clients.  Seems useful.

I read (and thought) the same.

I had been targeting the Linuxserver.io headless Kodi docker but since some there seemed to now favor this one I came here.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems using the Emby docker strictly as a back end for Kodi clients doesn't cover the same use cases though.

I need Blu-Ray .iso support on Nvidia Shield TV Android clients which works well with a traditional Kodi standalone back end and (presumably) a Kodi MySQL shared back end. 

The Emby server doesn't seem to currently support .iso for Android clients and .iso support in general with an Emby server seems very limited.

Further, movie folder support in Emby in general seems to be limited and many if not all recent replies from Emby support for .iso or movie folder playback issues suggest converting to .mkv

I'm becoming convinced converting everything to mkv will make life easier in the long run but for me that's a lot of converting to do.

I don't mean to belabor this in a docker thread but just trying to learn and perhaps alert anyone else coming here running Kodi on Android thinking swapping to an Emby server as a back end is some kind of simple no brainer replacement for a traditional Kodi standalone or Kodi MySQL solution.

Edited by dabl
  • 3 weeks later...

I need some help figuring this out. 

I run an unraid server at home1 with my router as a OpenVPN tunnel so I can connect to my home network. 

This is running an emby server using the emby unraid docker. 

At my Home2, I have a Windows 10 PC that I have installed Emby server and I connect to my Home1 VPN network to be able to access my files.

At Home2, I set my library to \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx\library

And I'm also setting the metadata to \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx\appdata\binhex-emby\metadata\

When adding the library to my windows 10 server I uncheck all the boxes so it doesn't download anything.

So why it's not using the metadata provided by the server? 

It takes sometime to scan everything and it seems it's downloading everything all over again. 

Just to add some more info that maybe help someone to point out what I'm doing wrong:

This is on my Windows 10 server side:

Paths

Cache:

\\192.168.0.198\appdata\binhex-emby\cache\

Logs:

C:\Users\Bahamut\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\logs

Metadata:

\\192.168.0.198\appdata\binhex-emby\metadata\

Transcoding temporary files:

C:\Users\Bahamut\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp

This on unraid side:

Paths

Cache:

/config/cache

Logs:

/config/logs

Metadata:

/config/metadata

Transcoding temporary files:

/config/transcoding-temp

Edited by TheFreemancer
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having problems with playback via Emby. In random time intervals (5 to 10 minutes) video stutters and then video and sound jumps back for about 30 seconds and keeps playing. Subtitles are displaying as nothing has happened and are not matching video anymore.
This is not with all videos but just some of them (random), mostly movies (TV shows are OK - for now). If I restart video from beginning the problem keeps repeating but always in different time interval.
Playback is done via Kodi on different devices (Vero, Chromebox, Windows PC, Ubuntu PC). Devices were on different Kodi versions (17.x and 18.x) and problem was on all of them. I have updated Kodi on all devices to latest version but problem persists.
On Kodi I am using Emby add-on with "playback via add-on" (not native mode).
If I play same videos (copy of the same file) via Kodi native mode, everything works fine.
Problematic videos are on different discs in array, parity check and SMART are without errors. If I play problematic videos via VLC on PC (same file that is used via Emby), it works fine.
EmbyServer docker is on latest version. I have restarted docker and unRAID server but nothing helps.
I got information from other users that this problem has started to appear about 2 weeks ago.

Any suggestions what should I check/try. Do you need any logs?

I have set transcoding temporary path to /ramtranscode (mapping it to /tmp in docker config), restarted the Emby docker and Kodi client but the problem still persists.
I have changed one of the users' Vero 4K configuration to use Emby in native mode (not add-on) and all video files are working fine.

Was reading around and got information, that transcoding is done only when Emby add-on on client (Vero, Kodi) send information to server, that it can not play original file.
Most of "problematic" files are in MKV HEVC format. The most interesting part is that in native mode (with or without using Emby on client) all video files are working fine. Where/how does Emby add-on get information, that client can't play original file?

I can't say for certain but something has had to change with Emby (server or client add-on), because I noticed same problem with video files that was working fine 1 or 2 months back.

Setting "Enable hardware acceleration when available" to No doesn't resolve the problem.
For all Emby users (on server) I have same Media Playback configuration:
YES - Allow media playback
NO - Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
NO - Allow video playback that requires transcoding
YES - Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding

If I have correct information, there is no way to completely disable transcoding on Emby (to always stream original file)?

• 4 weeks later...

So, weird question here: 

I installed Emby to compare to plex so I began setting up my libraries. I have a folder called action. I set this up but only to discover that TWO action folders have been created.???

There is no option to remove one without deleting it. Am I stuck deleting this and then resetting this up and going thru the long process of image downloading etc?

Thanks

image.png.7df0a675eddfb9d39ba52c18f0de355a.png

• 1 month later...
New to Emby ... trying to run docker on unraid and hitting 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: IOError: disk I/O error - PRAGMA journal_mode' ????
Either disable direct I/O in disk settings if its enabled or switch the /config mapping from /mnt/user/appdata/emby to /mnt/cache/appdata/emby

Sent from my phone as I'm probably having a beer and enjoying a fire

• 2 weeks later...
Application directory: /system
SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Corrupt: database disk image is malformed
SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(sqlite3 db, Int32 rc)
at SQLitePCL.pretty.StatementImpl.MoveNext()
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.SaveItem(IDatabaseConnection db, BaseItem item, Int64 topParentId, Int64 userDataKeyId, IStatement insertItemStatement, IStatement updateItemStatement)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.SaveItemsInTranscation(IDatabaseConnection db, List`1 tuples)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.GetNewItemByName[T](IDatabaseConnection db, String name, Dictionary`2 providerIds, String imageUrl)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.CreateItemByNameId[T](IDatabaseConnection db, String name, Dictionary`2 providerIds, String imageUrl)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.MigrateTags(IDatabaseConnection db)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.Initialize(SqliteUserDataRepository userDataRepo, IUserManager userManager)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.InitDatabases()
at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.Init()
at EmbyServer.HostedService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: SQLitePCL.pretty
TargetSite: Void CheckOk(SQLitePCL.sqlite3, Int32)

Info Main: Shutdown complete
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

Any idea what might cause the above errors?

Thanks!

I am having an issue where some of the artwork images (only extra fanart and extra thumbs) that Emby scrapes into my movie folders can't be deleted via my Windows desktop PC.  If I SSH into unRAID I can delete them via Midnight Commander but I'd rather be able to delete them via my WIn PC.  

Oddly the files Emby creates in the root of the movie folder can be deleted just fine but it usually creates two subfolders (extrafanart and extrathumbs) and neither they nor the files in them are able to be deleted. 

Here is the ls -l for the root movie folder and the extrafanart folder.  I'm don't know much about Linux but the files in both have the same ownership and permissions so why am I able to delete any of the daemon owned files in the root directory but not in the sub directory?  All of the nobody/users files were manually created by myself.  All of the daemon/daemon files were created by Emby.

root@WOPR:/mnt/user/Videos/Movies/Blu-Ray/The Clovehitch Killer (2018)# ls -l
total 16732928
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users       496898 Aug  2 18:14 The Clovehitch Killer (2018) original cover.jpg
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users    153217963 Aug  2 18:08 The Clovehitch Killer (2018)-trailer.mov
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  16973612707 Aug  2 20:36 The Clovehitch Killer (2018).mkv
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users        80745 Aug  2 20:23 The Clovehitch Killer (2018).srt
drwxr-xr-x 1 daemon daemon          63 Aug  2 18:06 extrafanart
drwxr-xr-x 1 daemon daemon          76 Aug  2 18:06 extrathumbs
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon      194416 Aug  2 18:06 fanart.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon       42943 Aug  2 18:06 logo.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon      441586 Aug  2 18:06 poster.jpg
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users      6412740 Aug  2 18:15 poster.png

root@WOPR:/mnt/user/Videos/Movies/Blu-Ray/The Clovehitch Killer (2018)# mc

root@WOPR:/mnt/user/Videos/Movies/Blu-Ray/The Clovehitch Killer (2018)/extrafanart# ls -l
total 524
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon 132505 Aug  2 18:06 fanart1.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon 214865 Aug  2 18:06 fanart2.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon 180799 Aug  2 18:06 fanart3.jpg

Is there some way I can configure the container so that this stops being a problem?

Was it set to that when you started it up for the very first time? With some docker containers, the devs have it setup so the user/group only happens on the very initial setup. 

I run LSIO's container and their default template seemed to use UID 2 and GID 2 which maps to daemon/daemon.

• 1 month later...

list my system log as below, is it caused by emby server?

Sep 14 12:11:39 Antec-P101S kernel: ffdetect[5493]: segfault at 38 ip 00000000004042af sp 00007ffc7a726510 error 4 in ffdetect[403000+c000]
Sep 14 12:11:39 Antec-P101S kernel: Code: 0f b6 6d 00 40 84 ed 75 b7 48 8b 14 24 48 8d 35 ce ad 00 00 bf 01 00 00 00 31 c0 ff 15 92 59 01 00 48 89 df ff 15 c1 5a 01 00 <41> 0f b6 2c 24 40 84 ed 0f 84 9a 00 00 00 4c 8d 35 2c b1 00 00 eb
Sep 14 12:11:39 Antec-P101S kernel: ffdetect[5497]: segfault at 38 ip 00000000004042af sp 00007fffbaa37580 error 4 in ffdetect[403000+c000]
Sep 14 12:11:39 Antec-P101S kernel: Code: 0f b6 6d 00 40 84 ed 75 b7 48 8b 14 24 48 8d 35 ce ad 00 00 bf 01 00 00 00 31 c0 ff 15 92 59 01 00 48 89 df ff 15 c1 5a 01 00 <41> 0f b6 2c 24 40 84 ed 0f 84 9a 00 00 00 4c 8d 35 2c b1 00 00 eb

• 2 months later...

"Version 3.5.3.0

A new version of Emby Server is available!

Version 4.3.0.30 is now available for download.

Please shutdown Emby Server and install the latest version."

How do I install the latest version?

And how do I backup the current installation so I can restore it if anything goes wrong?

"Version 3.5.3.0
A new version of Emby Server is available!
Version 4.3.0.30 is now available for download.
Please shutdown Emby Server and install the latest version."
How do I install the latest version?
And how do I backup the current installation so I can restore it if anything goes wrong?
Anyone on this thread?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk