New Emby Docker

u can use either backup and restore plugin.

or as u described, backup your appdata folder(s)

the templates from your docker settings are all on the flash, so

when cache drive is replaced, copy appdata folders back to cache, install docker new 1 by 1 by using your user templates from add docker tab

then u are back to the state as now

I did discover the CA backup/restore plugin.  I am doing a backup which has been running overnight.  I forgot to exclude my deluge download folder which was full of movies.  Rather then stop it and restart without that folder I'm going to let it finish. 

So once I replace the cache drive, I would then do a restore using the plugin, then install the dockers one by one.  I guess I'll have to see what other steps need to be taken once I install the dockers.  I'm guessing when installing them, they won't automatically see the config folders and I have to point them there?  Hard to picture it now as it's been a long time since I installed them.  If I get stuck, I guess I can always come back here with a question.

1 hour ago, DigitalDivide said:

I did discover the CA backup/restore plugin.  I am doing a backup which has been running overnight.  I forgot to exclude my deluge download folder which was full of movies.  Rather then stop it and restart without that folder I'm going to let it finish. 

So once I replace the cache drive, I would then do a restore using the plugin, then install the dockers one by one.  I guess I'll have to see what other steps need to be taken once I install the dockers.  I'm guessing when installing them, they won't automatically see the config folders and I have to point them there?  Hard to picture it now as it's been a long time since I installed them.  If I get stuck, I guess I can always come back here with a question.

all the pathes are stored in the templates on your flash, so no, nothing todo extra ...

just first restore appdata, then install dockers

and also backup the rest from cache, vm's, ...

Ok, so I popped in my new cache drive but it comes up as unmountable unsupported partition layout.  I'm assuming it's because I haven't formatted it.  How do i format it?

Edit: Nevermind found it.  Is there a way to do a full scrub on it and thoroughly check it out and maybe fix any corrupted blocks once it's in the array, other than running a preclear?  I had to quickly pop in a spare drive I had that was sitting around.  Just want to make sure all is good on it.  

Edited by DigitalDivide

Ran into a small snag.  On the restore tab it says to first recreate my docker.img if necessary.  DO I need to do this?  I thought doing the restore would do this.   From what was indicated earlier above, I just replace cache drive and do a restore, then reinstall each docker one at a time.

Edited by DigitalDivide
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi team!

I've been a long time Headless Kodi+Mysql guy, but it seems the Headless Kodi hack effort has died off.

So, I'm looking at Emby and Jellyfin, but Jellyfin feels a little raw at the moment (have to build my own code?  Yah, I'm just a lazy end-user...)

With Emby, I seem to be in the minority use case - I don't plan on doing any transcoding.  So, I'm not sure if I can use Emby just for raw passthrough of all my media?  I have one (maybe two) Shield devices on which I watch my media, so I just really want a centralized library that can be updated automatically when Sonarr and Radarr pull something new down.

What's the scoop my friends?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, montery said:

What's the scoop my friends?  Thanks!

+1 for Emby; I don't do transcoding either and it works just fine when using Emby Theatre on my HTPC. Don't have much issue with it other than the occasional/rare docker crash where you just need to restart it.

I also have a Plex subscription, but I don't use it for streaming video. I like the look/feel/metadata usage of Plex for audio; Emby for video.

~sigh~ still having problems. For whatever reason embserver docker keeps stopping every 4-7 days. Once it does I cannot restart it and have to unmount my drives.

I replaced the cache drive (granted, with a used drive), deleted the docker image and created a new one and reinstalled the dockers.  Problem still occurs

If I upload the diagnostics file, can I do so after a reboot (or does the reboot clear everything out) or do I need to wait until the problem happens again, then download the diagnostics, then upload here? I'm just getting frustrated with this.  

I've attached the diagnostics but this is after I rebooted the server so not sure if it will be helpful.

tower-diagnostics-20200516-1915.zip

Hi,

i'm new to unraid and just starting setting everything up. As NAS i'll use a ASRock Q1900 (Intel J1900 - 4x 2ghz), 4gb ram and some disks.

Is transcoding working on emby or do i need some special hacks or a subscription like for Plex?

thank you in advance

On 5/18/2020 at 1:10 AM, alturismo said:

hw transcoding needs a premiere membership if thats the question

if that's a response to my post then yes, I am aware. I specifically purchased Premiere to get the hardware transcoding working and it does not work on Binex's container. It does work without issues on the official EMBY container so I'm trying to figure out how to migrate the database over with all my watch statuses and user accounts. 

38 minutes ago, daan_SVK said:

It does work without issues on the official EMBY container so I'm trying to figure out how to migrate the database over with all my watch statuses and user accounts. 

Noob here, so consider the source! 😬

I went thru a gauntlet of things that I tried (and mostly failed) in an attempt to migrate from the plug-in version of EMBY to the docker container. Another user posted some steps and I documented things that I thought worked, but mostly didn't. It starts around page 142 or 143.

In the end, after updating unRIAD to 6.4 the process somehow became much simpler and magically worked. I wish I knew why, but on page 144 what seemed to have worked, at least back then anyway, was to make sure to set the mappings properly for the content/appdata/etc.

"1. Backup of appdata

2. followed your mappings, but pointing /config to where my Emby files are (/mnt/user/appdata/Embyserver)

And that was it. The only thing missing is are the Emby plugins. Do you know (or anyone else know) of a way to recover those so I don't have to reinstall them from scratch?  Thanks!!"

"Make sure you restart and look at it again. When I first moved it over it seemed fine but when I did a refresh it went haywire and wiped my database, its why I had to do the whole process of editing the database...'

"That happened to me on previous attempts as well when I was trying to preserve the emby plugin and have the docker version too. This time it didn't matter since the plugin no longer works with v6.4. So, to clarify step 2: I did not relocate the emby appdata files, they are in the same folders that the plugin emby used; I merely pointed the docker to that location. I've restarted the docker and re-scanned the media library several times and everything seems to be intact. Do you think I need to reboot unRAID and see if that changes things?"

"No idea, I remember the first time it started it looked ok, I had done the same thing as you I think. But as soon as it tried to rescan it basically wiped everything from the database and I think it doubled up my appdata folder. I just didn't want to have it re-downloading everything."

Hope this helps... don't forget: backup, Backup, BACKUP!!!

2 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Noob here, so consider the source! 😬

I went thru a gauntlet of things that I tried (and mostly failed) in an attempt to migrate from the plug-in version of EMBY to the docker container. Another user posted some steps and I documented things that I thought worked, but mostly didn't. It starts around page 142 or 143.

In the end, after updating unRIAD to 6.4 the process somehow became much simpler and magically worked. I wish I knew why, but on page 144 what seemed to have worked, at least back then anyway, was to make sure to set the mappings properly for the content/appdata/etc.

Hope this helps... don't forget: backup, Backup, BACKUP!!!

this is pretty much what i did originally. The server fired up and looked good, I was shocked how easy it appeared to be however I wasnt able to play anything. Every time I attempted to play a file i got an error. 

at the end what I'm looking for is: 

- advice on how to get the binhex emby container fixed so it supports HW transcoding with the modified UNRAID 

- advice on how to migrate the database of one emby container to another so I dont have to set up a brand new database and redo my users, watch statuses etc

I have also posted this on the official emby forums, but no reply so far

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone could help.

Basically I was installing a new disk drive when i accidentally knocked out my cache drive power cable. Booted up without the cache drive and found emby wasn't working. Reconnected the cache drive, but then started getting errors about there being no compatible streams. Looked like the issue was my library, so i removed the libraries and now whenever i try to add a library I can see the folder and click it in the media library, but I cannot select the "content" drop down box and clicking okay does absolutely nothing.

Nothing that i can see in the log file about this problem, Plex is working fine with the libraries. I've tried BinHex-Emby and Normal-Emby and got exactly the same issue.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...