Installing new Windows 10 VM. Windows can't find drivers

d.bech

I'm trying to install Windows 10 64bit English after previously using English International. (both ISOs are from microsofts website)

This time when I get up to browsing to my virtio iso to tell windows where to find it's drivers it reports that it could not find any new drivers for the hardware installed

halp?

This worked fine in the past.

virtio: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/latest-virtio/virtio-win.iso

- Just tried 0.1.102 (the current stable) and am getting the same results

- Also tried https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.105-1/

- and https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.110-2/

- and https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.110-1/

XML:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Windows 10</name>
  <uuid>fc8280c4-7269-a6dd-ebdf-41fd12e5cf5e</uuid>
  <description>Windows 10 64bit</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate name="Custom" icon="windows.png" os="windows"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>10485760</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>10485760</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.3'>hvm</type>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='off'/>
      <vapic state='off'/>
      <spinlocks state='off'/>
    </hyperv>
    <kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/boot/Windows 10/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/ISOs/Win10_1511_English_x64.iso'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/ISOs/virtio-win-0.1.112.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='nec-xhci'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:ce:26:89'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/Windows 10.org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x045e'/>
        <product id='0x02e6'/>
        <address bus='1' device='6'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x17a0'/>
        <product id='0x0303'/>
        <address bus='1' device='12'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
        <address bus='1' device='5'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x8087'/>
        <product id='0x07dc'/>
        <address bus='1' device='9'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <address bus='1' device='2'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <address bus='1' device='3'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <address bus='1' device='8'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pci.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=2,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=00:1b.0,bus=root.1,addr=01.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

unraid-diagnostics-20160113-2100.zip

I know 105 and 110 works with Windows 10. Try those out.

When you choose the directory to search in, you do choose viostor\w8.1\amd64?

Just gave both of those a try, getting the same results

EDIT: Oh and yea I am going to viostor\w8.1\amd64 some versions have viostor\w10\amd64 which I've been trying aswell

So I was trying the English International ISO while I was waiting for the EDU ISO to download. In this iso I'm not asked for drivers until I get to the partitioning section and it allows me to install the drivers.

In the non international ISO it asks me for drivers right after I hit install.

Small difference but maybe it means something?

So I was trying the English International ISO while I was waiting for the EDU ISO to download. In this iso I'm not asked for drivers until I get to the partitioning section and it allows me to install the drivers.

In the non international ISO it asks me for drivers right after I hit install.

Small difference but maybe it means something?

Specifically it's saying a MEDIA driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver.

This one has me quite perplexed as I literally just installed Win 10 again myself the other day and had no issues using that copy of the ISO.

Maybe my install of unRAID is a little messed up? Or my combination of plugins? Think it's possible?

Well the fact is that you are able to get the windows installer going but it just doesn't think that the driver disk contains anything valid for that install.  Shouldn't be a plugin or anything that can do that.  6.2 is fairly close to a release point, so I might suggest you wait for that to try again in case it's a bug in the 6.1.6 version with QEMU/KVM.

This one has me quite perplexed as I literally just installed Win 10 again myself the other day and had no issues using that copy of the ISO.

Maybe my install of unRAID is a little messed up? Or my combination of plugins? Think it's possible?

Well the fact is that you are able to get the windows installer going but it just doesn't think that the driver disk contains anything valid for that install.  Shouldn't be a plugin or anything that can do that.  6.2 is fairly close to a release point, so I might suggest you wait for that to try again in case it's a bug in the 6.1.6 version with QEMU/KVM.

Super wigs me out that the UK version works perfectly. Is there a 6.2 beta about or anything?

Super wigs me out that the UK version works perfectly. Is there a 6.2 beta about or anything?

No publicly available version of 6.2 just yet.

No publicly available version of 6.2 just yet.

Bummer

which part is the install failing at? i've only used the win10 preview in a vm so i'm not sure about any later releases, but during the install process i only install i think the driver for storage, i don't install any of the other ones until i get into windows. it's the one called something "stor"

which part is the install failing at? i've only used the win10 preview in a vm so i'm not sure about any later releases, but during the install process i only install i think the driver for storage, i don't install any of the other ones until i get into windows. it's the one called something "stor"

Yea it seems to be asking for HDD drivers but it pops up earlier in the install than normal.

Yea it seems to be asking for HDD drivers but it pops up earlier in the install than normal.

IIRC in my case it didn't ask for drivers. it would ask me where i wanted to install windows to, and there would be like no hdds listed, so i'd go in and install the stor driver and only then would i see the vdisk.

IIRC in my case it didn't ask for drivers. it would ask me where i wanted to install windows to, and there would be like no hdds listed, so i'd go in and install the stor driver and only then would i see the vdisk.

Yep that's what normally happens if I install the international English version.

• 4 years later...

So I just was trying to install Windows 10 and I had the Virtio and iso passed through as USB devices, changed them back to SATA and got past the prompt for the media driver (There was no virtio if I hit the browse so I think it couldn't load it)