Real-time cache to array (real time mover)

A feature of Real-time cache to array support would be awesome, in other word - real time mover.

Basically in the share setting, we enable cache "Use cache disk" to Yes and have another field called "Real-time Mover".

If "Real-time Mover" set to Yes:

1. Copy a file to array Share

2. It get stored on the cache disk

3. unRAID somehow detect if a file is successfully copied and then instantly move to Array.

I'm not sure I see what the advantage would be compared with simply not having a cache at all! Now, if you were to suggest an intelligent mover - one that ran whenever the cache is more than x% full (where x is a user setting) and/or when it detects that the sever is idle and/or the relevant disks are spun up - you'd get my vote.

Edit: Apologies, I didn't really think it through before replying. I suppose a real time mover would still speed up write access to the server. Like having a write cache on a hard disk. Yes, I support that idea.

• 9 months later...

Perhaps I can help out.

I created a "Continuous" mover setting (see attachment).

The principle is based on "inotifywait" which monitors the cache drive for newly added files, and checks if files need to be moved to the array as soon as they are completely received on the cache disk.

I have a working solution, but it is beta state. E.g. no full checking is done yet, script expects cache device to be present. Also setting won't survive a system reboot.

If any interest I can make it available as a test plugin.

continuous_mover.png.54d0ca978c28402d4b22dd6854bbb052.png