Seagate 8TB Archive Hard Disk $204.23 +shipping

jasonfox

Hello,

Does this type of drive make more sense for general use in an uNRAID or as a dedicated drive for things that one doesn't want spread over drives (I know I am asking that terribly)?  I was thinking of add adding a drive just for image backups, document backup and audio files.  I do understand I will have to be two so that one can become the Parity drive.

Hello,

Does this type of drive make more sense for general use in an uNRAID or as a dedicated drive for things that one doesn't want spread over drives (I know I am asking that terribly)?  I was thinking of add adding a drive just for image backups, document backup and audio files.  I do understand I will have to be two so that one can become the Parity drive.

Archive drives are best used for data that does not change. An archive is written once, and never changed, not updated or deleted.

A large amount of the data on most unRAID installation is media which is not being changed, updated, or even deleted. This is a good match.

Image backups which are updated weekly/monthly are less of a match.

Thanks, C3

Based on that analysis this would not be best to use in an uNRAID server.  One would have to update the parity drive and that is used constantly.

Hello,

Archive drives are best used for data that does not change. An archive is written once, and never changed, not updated or deleted.

A large amount of the data on most unRAID installation is media which is not being changed, updated, or even deleted. This is a good match.

Hello,

The results of testing and user experience here conclude the opposite. These drives work well even as parity disks. I personally plan to run one as parity and one as a storage disk in my array until the new non-shingled Seagates come out in the coming months. Then I'll move the parity disk to the array and replace it with the new Seagate.

Thanks for that link.  I'll read it shortly. 

Let me add a review of the drive I found:  http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb

Hello,

The results of testing and user experience here conclude the opposite. These drives work well even as parity disks. I personally plan to run one as parity and one as a storage disk in my array until the new non-shingled Seagates come out in the coming months. Then I'll move the parity disk to the array and replace it with the new Seagate.

Hello,

As I said;

Thanks for that link.  I'll read it shortly. 

Let me add a review of the drive I found:  http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb

I would not put much into that review. Unfounded statement like this one, don't make for good basis.

Needless to say in a larger RAID group or with background activity taking place, that rebuild time will only get longer.

Rebuild time is approximately the time it takes to read, calc, and write. In larger RAID groups, the read scales out as more drives are available, calc maybe limited by the platform processing (not a RAID group size), and the write performance remains the same.

While the article has lots of charts, they never get around to understanding the cache, persistent and volatile, of the drive, and the impact of them.

Archive drives do extremely well in unRAID installations with cache drive/pool, as mover consolidates the writes into more easily handled larger and/or sequential writes.

Thank you both for all the information.  One of the things I ask myself when going through the "Good Deals" section is "Is this a good deal for use with uNRAID or for other use?"  I know I should not throw just any old drive in... though many can be used.  I usually do a search through the forum to see what real world use is going on (though I missed this one entirely.  I must have searched only on model number or something).

Cheers...