Windows 7 Media Center VM with Ceton Network Tuner to serve WMC Extenders

dlandon

One thing I've never understood is why Microsoft hasn't included extender functionality in Windows.

e.g. you cannot use a Windows PC as an extender => you have to use an XBox 360 or a Ceton Echo.  If WMC has the necessary controls to support proper DRM enforcement, it would certainly seem like it could have been designed to allow use as an extender.

Of course that's completely irrelevant at this point; since (a) it's clearly never going to be changed; and (b) WMC "dies" with the end of Windows 8.1 in 2023 anyway.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Otter351 said:

Anyone have any issues with this setup and Unraid 6.5.x?  Mine was running perfectly in 6.3 and now I'm getting stuttering after the upgrade

Interesting.   I don't use WMC in a VM, but I have noted that my two servers using older hardware have slower disk performance on the v6.5 versions relative to previous versions, so this may account for the stuttering.

Unrelated to that, but a side note for anyone using WMC (or contemplating it) … the discussions earlier in this thread r.e. when the guide will expire are still relevant (i.e. I'd expect the most likely date will be on expiration of Windows 8.1 support, since the guide updates aren't OS-dependent) -- but since the discussions on this thread the development of an alternative guide  [ http://epg123.garyan2.net/ ] has progressed to where it's very stable, and it uses guide data from Schedules Direct, which is not likely to go away anytime soon … so this should allow WMC's effective life to extend well beyond the support end dates for W7 and W8.