• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

version 2016.01.22

- suppress disk utilization settings for parity disk

- CSS improvements

- fixed possible lock up of Diagnostics Dashboard page

- fixed custom banner and user upload across different browsers

- fixed parsing string for port settings

Yesterday I experienced the notifications that happen after your hard drive reaches the Warning disk utilization level (%). It was really awesome at first until it started repeating the message after every 1%. I know I change make the settings higher and limit the types of notification but I was wondering if it is really necessary to report every 1% of the first warning level? I was thinking that maybe every 5% would make a little more sense and then once you reach the Critical disk utilization level (%) then it goes to every 1%?

SO at 70% - get notifications
75%
80%
85%
90%

91%
92%
93% etc.

If no one agrees I am totally fine adjusting my settings but thought I would throw this out there.

version 2016.01.22

- suppress disk utilization settings for parity disk

- CSS improvements

- fixed possible lock up of Diagnostics Dashboard page

- fixed custom banner and user upload across different browsers

- fixed parsing string for port settings

Yesterday I experienced the notifications that happen after your hard drive reaches the Warning disk utilization level (%). It was really awesome at first until it started repeating the message after every 1%. I know I change make the settings higher and limit the types of notification but I was wondering if it is really necessary to report every 1% of the first warning level? I was thinking that maybe every 5% would make a little more sense and then once you reach the Critical disk utilization level (%) then it goes to every 1%?

SO at 70% - get notifications
75%
80%
85%
90%

91%
92%
93% etc.

If no one agrees I am totally fine adjusting my settings but thought I would throw this out there.

I totally agree,  should be 5% from warning to critical, then 1% after critical

I just noticed there is a REMOVE button for Dynamix webGui.

I am not sure if it was there before.

What is it doing?

Bonienl or LT can comment definitively, but I suspect that's simply an artifact of changing the update process so the WebGUI can be modified independently (one of the changes in 6.1.7).  Not sure what would happen if you actually did that (not going to try it on my "real" servers -- may do so on a test box just for grins, but don't have one handy at the moment).  I assume it would simply refuse to remove itself  :)

Personally I don't mind the constant messages. I just set the values higher and when I get a message I adjust my storage as needed.

90%

95%

Actually I don't see the need for this at all -- filling up a disk is hardly an "error" of any kind.  A warning when the TOTAL storage gets low would be useful ... but I could care less if an individual disk hits 99 or even 100%.    The utilization on my disks on the Dashboard shows 100%, 100%, 100%, 100%, ... until the last 4 disks, which are then at 27%, 47%, 50%, and 45%.    While it's VERY unlikely I'd get low enough to actually trigger a warning without realizing I was getting close anyway, it would be nice if there there was a warning when the TOTAL space available (preferably on a by-share basis, since not all shares are allowed to use all disks) was below a specific threshold [which, candidly, I'd prefer was set in GB instead of a percentage of the overall space].

Personally I don't mind the constant messages. I just set the values higher and when I get a message I adjust my storage as needed.

90%

95%

Actually I don't see the need for this at all -- filling up a disk is hardly an "error" of any kind.  A warning when the TOTAL storage gets low would be useful ... but I could care less if an individual disk hits 99 or even 100%.    The utilization on my disks on the Dashboard shows 100%, 100%, 100%, 100%, ... until the last 4 disks, which are then at 27%, 47%, 50%, and 45%.    While it's VERY unlikely I'd get low enough to actually trigger a warning without realizing I was getting close anyway, it would be nice if there there was a warning when the TOTAL space available (preferably on a by-share basis, since not all shares are allowed to use all disks) was below a specific threshold [which, candidly, I'd prefer was set in GB instead of a percentage of the overall space].

It is my understanding that the reiserfs formatted drives have issues of becoming VERY slow on file writes when the fill point exceeds about 90%.  I have not read of anyone experiencing this problem with xfs but it may be too early. 

I'm running all XFS now. I'm just saying I raised my Limits highter so I don't have to worry about getting messages constantly, however I'm giving a heads up when moving mass amounts of data. Typically I don't move tons without looking at my GUI, but I'm just saying since some don't like the constant messages just raise them.

I'm running all XFS now. I'm just saying I raised my Limits highter so I don't have to worry about getting messages constantly, however I'm giving a heads up when moving mass amounts of data. Typically I don't move tons without looking at my GUI, but I'm just saying since some don't like the constant messages just raise them.

But by raising your limits you are essentially delaying the warning notifications. If they didn't pop up every 1% would you really bother with raising them? IMHO the only reason to raise them is because you don't want to get a notification every 1% but I personally think it would be nice to know that I am getting close to my limits; however, I don't think a reminder every 1% is necessary. Every 5% should give me enough time to decided what I want to do and if it gets to 90% then I really need to speed along my decision making. The best solution would be to make the first notification user defined but that probably takes a bid of time to rework the code.

I can't imagine not knowing roughly how much space I have available in my array without the need for a pop-up notification.    But even if I did want them, as I noted before, it'd be far more useful if it was based on the space available ... and not the %.    I might, for example, want to know when I had less than 1TB of remaining space for my Media share; but that TB might be 250GB on each of 4 6TB drives => so even if they were all 95% full I'd still have well over that TB.    On the other hand, if the space was spread over 4 1TB drives, there'd be less than 1TB available when they got past 75%.

Agree that Reiser drives get very slow with writes when they get close to full (typically over 95%) ... but that has no impact on reads; and when my RFS drives got over 90% I wrote directly to the disk shares to fill them up => they're all at 100% now so there are no more writes to them.

90%

95%

Couldn't agree more.  I don't think 99% of the people could care less if a specific single disk is full...  That's actually pretty much going to happen by design.

Now if we're talking about the total space, that's actually useful information for an alert.

The current implementation not useful.  As seen by the number of people inquiring, and setting to to 100% to shut if off....

90%

95%

Couldn't agree more.  I don't think 99% of the people could care less if a specific single disk is full...  That's actually pretty much going to happen by design.

Now if we're talking about the total space, that's actually useful information for an alert.

The current implementation not useful.  As seen by the number of people inquiring, and setting to to 100% to shut if off....

"I" find it very useful for those of us that are managing our servers based on DiskShares not UserShares.

Just my opinion of course.

I just noticed the following errors in the logs after I installed 6.1.7:

Jan 26 18:45:59 Frank-Server kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Jan 26 18:45:59 Frank-Server kernel: floppy: error -5 while reading block 0

Jan 26 18:45:59 Frank-Server kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Jan 26 18:45:59 Frank-Server kernel: floppy: error -5 while reading block 0

Also, it seems like the "Rescan Disks" in Unassigned Devices is not working. I plugged in a USB drive and to PC and pressing the "Rescan Disks" button does nothing. I will check the support for that plugin on this issue.

I'm running 6.1.6 and I wasn't able to update via the Plugins page.  I tried several times and it just kept telling me there was no update available.  I restarted the server and tried again and it found the update okay.  The update installed okay and everything seems to be normal.

Doug

This seems rather odd:

2016-01-28 14:41	unRAID Disk 4 disk utilization	Warning [TOWER] - Disk 4 is high on usage (82%)	WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA5985215 (sde)	warning	
2016-01-28 14:41	unRAID Disk 2 disk utilization	Warning [TOWER] - Disk 2 is high on usage (87%)	WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4N0K262N2 (sdc)	warning	
2016-01-28 14:41	unRAID Disk 1 disk utilization	Warning [TOWER] - Disk 1 is high on usage (76%)	WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WCAZAJ634336 (sdb)	warning	
2016-01-28 14:31	unRAID Disk 4 message	Notice [TOWER] - Disk 4 returned to normal utilization level	WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA5985215 (sdj)	normal	
2016-01-28 14:31	unRAID Disk 2 message	Notice [TOWER] - Disk 2 returned to normal utilization level	WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4N0K262N2 (sdd)	normal	
2016-01-28 14:31	unRAID Disk 1 message	Notice [TOWER] - Disk 1 returned to normal utilization level	WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WCAZAJ634336 (sdc)	normal	
2016-01-28 14:30	unRAID Server Alert	UPS Alert	Battery time limit exceeded on UPS Tower. Doing shutdown.	alert	

While the server was shutting down under control of apcupsd, three disks "returned to normal utilisation level", then on the reboot, the utilisation went high again!  :o

PS: What is even more odd is that Disk 5 is also 'high', at 83%, but that disk wasn't included in these log messages.

Do the Plugins/Docker updates notifications not work for anyone else? They seem to actually run the check 4 times a day like i set it to, but I never get notified. When I randomly visit my plugins page, it now shows the updates without me pressing the check button.

Testing the notification with Pushbullet definitely works, and when I enable other notifications, those definitely come through as well. I have the checkboxes for agent checked for the update notifications, and still nothing gets to me.

Do the Plugins/Docker updates notifications not work for anyone else? They seem to actually run the check 4 times a day like i set it to, but I never get notified. When I randomly visit my plugins page, it now shows the updates without me pressing the check button.

Testing the notification with Pushbullet definitely works, and when I enable other notifications, those definitely come through as well. I have the checkboxes for agent checked for the update notifications, and still nothing gets to me.

I also have the same issue, I noticed it with 6.1.6 also. Have attempted disable / enable but no effect

Sent from mTalk