USB ports malfunctioning?

SlyNine

Motherboard is a brand new Socket 2011-v3 MSI X99A Gaming 7  (with USB 3.1 ports). I was trying to install unraid on a USB 3.0 port. Unraid would load, but it would give some errors while booting up (something about not finding unraid) and I'd have to use telnet and the command /usr/local/sbin/emhttp & to get the web server up. When I did this the web ui would tell me flash device error.

I'd also like to note in the UEFI BIOS those USB 3.0 ports come up as "external USB Power Control. But in the manual it just lists them as USB 3.0 ports.

After several hours of trouble shooting I finally decided to simply plug the USB into a USB 2.0 port. and it worked fine.

Does this indicate malfunctioning USB ports? It seem to work fine otherwise. Is it not passing through the GUID key. Should I send it back?

Motherboard is a brand new Socket 2011-v3 MSI X99A Gaming 7  (with USB 3.1 ports). I was trying to install unraid on a USB 3.0 port. Unraid would load, but it would give some errors while booting up (something about not finding unraid) and I'd have to use telnet and the command /usr/local/sbin/emhttp & to get the web server up. When I did this the web ui would tell me flash device error.

I'd also like to note in the UEFI BIOS those USB 3.0 ports come up as "external USB Power Control. But in the manual it just lists them as USB 3.0 ports.

After several hours of trouble shooting I finally decided to simply plug the USB into a USB 2.0 port. and it worked fine.

Does this indicate malfunctioning USB ports? It seem to work fine otherwise. Is it not passing through the GUID key. Should I send it back?

I can't speak to why it is not working with the USB3 port, but the memory stick is a boot device and has no impact on unRAID performance. It is written to very sparingly with tiny configuration files. And is read from at boot time, but still quite fast at USB2 speed. Even if the USB spec was 1.1, it would make boot slower, but other than that there would be no impact.

I would not stress about using the USB3 port, but instead focus on getting your array set up.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I was working on the Diagnostics information and didn't think anyone would respond that fast. But here it is just in case it might help.  I also tried this with multiple USB sticks.

I did move on to creating an array, which i'm looking to see if there is already a topic for the parity being invalid, maybe I just need to be more patient.

tower-diagnostics-20160116-1201.zip

My motherboard is MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition. We have the same USB controllers. I have been having odd behavior from on of the controllers and rolled back through all of the unRAID versions that I had and found that 6.0.1 was the last one that worked. I sent an email asking for any releases that where between my working and non working versions. The reply is:

"There were no releases between 6.0.1 and 6.1.  One thing you could try is adding iommu=pt after "append" in the syslinux.cfg." This may work for you also.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45721.0