unRaid 6 Plex killing network and then Server will abruptly shut down

Hi there,

Im new to UnRaid (moved over from FreeNAS) and only had it running for less than a week but currently I'm having a MAJOR issue which is causing me a lot of headache.

Basically i have a Unraid 6.16 server with basic configuration as per the support videos on the site. Within the system i have setup to use Docker which im running a single Plex addon. Ive setup and since stopped using VM's (could do what i wanted due to not having IOMMU support but didnt know something in the VM wouldn't work without it) and let the menu active.

The problem im having is that if i stream ANYTHING on the Plex server from outside of my network the video starts playing then will stop and my entire network which the server is connected to will come to a complete stop and every device will loose connection to the network. When this happens im unable to access the UnRaid server so cant pull a log file and the network will stay unresponsive until i either manually kill the UnRaid server OR the server kills the power itself.

Worth adding that i have tried running the plex docker app from both the cache and the user disk but nothing made any difference.

Hardware wise im running a i7 2600k (going to try a different CPU, so will update after i have done that), 16Gigs of Kingston Fury ram (not ECC as i dont have any) motherboard is an Asus PZ77i - Deluxe, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 SSD (cache Drive) and 5x Seagate 4TB SSHD drives.

The server is made from what i had available to me at the time and the use of SSHD's was purely due to the fact i got each of them brand new for a STUPID price.

PLEASE if anyone could make a suggestion on what could possibly be causing my issue... I really want to try and get this resolved.

I never had this issue when using my old server setup with FreeNAS and i've also tried using a different router to make sure its not that casuing the issue. I've also tried reinstalling the Plex Server using different sources and same thing.... This is really starting to get me down.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards

LoR_NiKoN

Hi Jonp,

I have Bonding mode is showing Active-Backup (1) and i have bridging enabled and set to br0.

WELL..... i dont quite know how but it seemed to have been a CPU issue. Ive switched out the i7 2600k with an i7 3770k (which i know has core issues) and now i cant get the issue to reproduce.

Also thanks for the tutorial vids Jon they help a lot getting the server setup..... Was hoping to have this as a media server and a twitch/youtube streaming box.

Thanks for the response none the less and feel free to close the thread.

Regards

LoR_NiKoN

Hi Jonp,

I have Bonding mode is showing Active-Backup (1) and i have bridging enabled and set to br0.

WELL..... i dont quite know how but it seemed to have been a CPU issue. Ive switched out the i7 2600k with an i7 3770k (which i know has core issues) and now i cant get the issue to reproduce.

Also thanks for the tutorial vids Jon they help a lot getting the server setup..... Was hoping to have this as a media server and a twitch/youtube streaming box.

Thanks for the response none the less and feel free to close the thread.

Regards

LoR_NiKoN

We will leave it open for now. I'm highly suspicious about the CPU being the issue. Doesn't make any sense to me.  Let us know if the problem resurfaces. Thanks!