Dynamix Diagnostics Tool - beta testers required

bonienl

I have made an update to the Diagnostics tool and added the possibility to anonymize the content of the zip file.

This includes the following:

- User names and Share names are either removed or replaced by an acronym. This is true for both file names and file content.

- Login information, such as usernames and passwords is stripped from the Syslog

By default anonymous content is generated from the GUI or CLI. In case the full unaltered content is required (e.g. in private communication with LT), uncheck the option Anonymize diagnostics in the GUI or issue the command diagnostics -a from the CLI.

I like to give this a beta run to see if the functionality is complete (is it truely anonymous?), and ask beta testers to have a look and give feedback.

The plugin can be installed using the URL below:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bergware/dynamix/master/unRAIDv6/dynamix.diagnostics.tool.plg

Thanks.

It's been my opinion (possibly wrong) that the need for anonymization is rather rare.  I'd personally think it should be an available option, but not the default.  My memory is very poor, but I cannot ever remember seeing any passwords.  User names and Share names seem safe to expose, but some may differ.  The only thing I've seen that some might want private is the file names moved by Mover.  For them, I'd prefer keeping the path structure at least close to actual, and perhaps just replacing file names with their first and last letters.  Same can be done with user and share names.  (My apologies, I can't at the moment check how you've actually done it.)

It's been my opinion (possibly wrong) that the need for anonymization is rather rare.  I'd personally think it should be an available option, but not the default.  My memory is very poor, but I cannot ever remember seeing any passwords.  User names and Share names seem safe to expose, but some may differ.  The only thing I've seen that some might want private is the file names moved by Mover.  For them, I'd prefer keeping the path structure at least close to actual, and perhaps just replacing file names with their first and last letters.  Same can be done with user and share names.  (My apologies, I can't at the moment check how you've actually done it.)

There is no right or wrong here and I highly respect your opinion, you are one of the key people using the tool.

When I started the anonymization was the option. For testing I did it just the other way round, and I can go whatever the consensus is. There are no passwords, but syslog may show email addresses (e.g. when sending array status update notifications), I can imagine these to be filtered. The process I've created leaves the files and structures in place but names are replaced, below an example

The original files (without anonymization)

18-01-2016  06:50      appdata.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      files.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      films.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      ISOs.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      music.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      photos.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      series.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      vdisks.cfg

The 'processed' files (with anonymization)

18-01-2016  06:50      a-----a.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      f---s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      f---s (1).cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      I--s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      m---c.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      p----s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      s----s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      v----s.cfg

The easiest way to check the differences is to run a diagnostics with and without anonymization and compare the zip files.

Does somebody have an example of the mover file names information in syslog? I did some tests myself with mover but it never shows any file names, just a single line that mover was started is put in the syslog.

Jan 17 11:18:21 vesta emhttp: shcmd (77): /usr/local/sbin/mover &> /dev/null &

The 'processed' files (with anonymization)

18-01-2016  06:50      a-----a.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      f---s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      f---s (1).cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      I--s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      m---c.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      p----s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      s----s.cfg
18-01-2016  06:50      v----s.cfg

I like it!

And email addresses, I agree, should be anonymized, perhaps more importantly than anything else.  Can't believe I forgot those.  There was evidence recently of bots grabbing attachments here, and that may have been one of the things they were after.