Information

Overview: HDHomeRun DVR

To install, load the Docker Repository

https://github.com/Yoshiofthewire/docker-templates/tree/master/urlxl

Requirements:

1) You Need a Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner

2) You Need to be a Kickstarter backer or buy early access

Install:

1) Install the Windows or Mac HDHomeRun DVR to configure your Tuner and run setup to upgraded the firmware.

2) Configure a new Docker Container from the Repository above.

3) The container volume must be /hdhomerun

Update:

1) Install the Windows or Mac HDHomeRun DVR to configure your Tuner and run setup to upgrade the firmware.

2) Check and apply updates to update the container.

Notes:

Current Record Engine Build:  20210501beta1

Current Firmware Build:          20210501beta1

Edited by Yoshiofthewire
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for putting this together. I am moving from a windows version of HDHomeRun DVR to the docker. When I install the docker the log is full of "HDHomeRun RECORD already running" entries. I am 90% sure I don't have it running on any other machine. Is their something with the DVR configuration I need to change going from Windows to Docker?

I think the docker keeps trying to start HDHomerun DVR ... after it has already started.

So, it should be running OK.  Mine has been up for a week without issue, that I know of.

That said I think there are only like maybe 4 people running this, so if there was some edge case bug...

That said, it looks like everything related to this is on the SiliconDust servers, so there isn't a lot to mess up.

....That said I think there are only like maybe 4 people running this, so if there was some edge case bug...

That said, it looks like everything related to this is on the SiliconDust servers, so there isn't a lot to mess up.

Well, make it at least 5 then!

Got it installed and it seems to be starting it's first recordings - crossing my fingers. I was expecting some kind of configuration to complete (with the docker) but other than setting up the share it seems good to go.

cheers!

Out of curiosity, I have question regarding doing recordings using this docker.

Would it work with HDHomeRun Prime? I have Verizon FIOS + ceton tuners and recordings are done with Windows Media Center. Except for couple channels content is not copy protected, but still Windows requires PlayReady to be activated in order to make recordings. How would it work with HDHomeRun  and this dvr docker? Recording are done on unRaid and they are available to all the clients on the network without restrictions?

SiliconDust website has a product called HDHomeRun DVR. Are they talking about this software that is part of this docker?

This docker specifically supports the DVR product and currently requires purchasing early access or having contributed to the Kickstarter.

I would recommend checkout our SD's forum to see how people are getting on in a scenario like yours. I'm using it purely with OTA broadcasts which so far seems good for both live and recorded (using kodi on my Amazon firetv and the hdhomerun plugin).

I tried installing this docker this morning and i'm get error messages, first line of messages below

Warning: DOMDocument::load(): EntityRef: expecting ';' in /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates/urlxl/hdhomerundvr.xml, line: 7 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/CreateDocker.php on line 379 Warning: 

Got it installed and it seems to be starting it's first recordings - crossing my fingers. I was expecting some kind of configuration to complete (with the docker) but other than setting up the share it seems good to go.

If you have installed the DVR somewhere else, there really is no setup.  If you haven't you do need to configure your HDHomerun Tuner.

Your configuration will survive the complete deletion of the docker and container.

Out of curiosity, I have question regarding doing recordings using this docker.

Would it work with HDHomeRun Prime? I have Verizon FIOS + ceton tuners and recordings are done with Windows Media Center. Except for couple channels content is not copy protected, but still Windows requires PlayReady to be activated in order to make recordings. How would it work with HDHomeRun  and this dvr docker? Recording are done on unRaid and they are available to all the clients on the network without restrictions?

SiliconDust website has a product called HDHomeRun DVR. Are they talking about this software that is part of this docker?

I am using an HDHomeRun Prime on Verizon.  I can record and watch anything that is not DRMed.  I can't watch any channel that has DRM. YMMV

So, I can watch anything that is not FX, FXX, Fox Sports 1 (See a pattern).  I don't have any premium channels.

I tried installing this docker this morning and i'm get error messages, first line of messages below

Warning: DOMDocument::load(): EntityRef: expecting ';' in /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates/urlxl/hdhomerundvr.xml, line: 7 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/CreateDocker.php on line 379 Warning: 

When I make changes, I do so to the live install .. because I have no idea what I am doing.

I broke the install for about an hour yesterday.  Please delete the docker container and file and reinstall.

A reinstall is working for me this morning.

I'm running into an issue with it not loading your repository.  Even if i remove the existing respository I have in there, my templates available are exactly the same.  It's almost like it's not refreshing the available templates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to refresh the available templates?  Or what i may be doing wrong?  I've refreshed the page....logged out of the tower and logged back in.  It's all still the same.

Any idea if Silicon Dust will have a Lifetime subscription for the TV Guide service alongside the HDHomeRun DVR software? I am considering trying this over potentially purchasing a Tablo. If the HDHomeRun DVR service will extract all metadata with the recording and allow me to dump it anywhere then I believe this could be a better solution over the Tablo, which is quite expensive.

I got that problem resolved....but where exactly does it store the recordings?  Kodi won't seem to let me delete any of them.  So i'm figuring its either a permissions issue, or a bug in the software.  But I can't seem to find them on my server to manually delete.

Just edit the docker to see where the mount point for the video files is. Then, set up a share so you can access it if you don't already have access to this location.

Thanks, I was eventually able to figure it out by reverse engineering it.  I'll definitely have to setup a share to make access easier.  I'm still not sure why it won't delete them right inside the HDhomerun software.  Does anyone else have that problem?  If not then its got to be a permission issue i'll have to dig out.

• 3 weeks later...

What exactly do you have to do after installing this template. In the form /hdhomerun is there. What goes in the other box?

You mean in the "Host path:" box for /hdhomerun? That would be the location of where you want the recordings and log files to go. As an example, mine is set to /mnt/user/Media/Recorded.

• Yoshiofthewire changed the title to [Support] urlxl - HDHomeRun DVR [20210501beta1]