[Support] urlxl - HDHomeRun DVR [20210501beta1]

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2018 at 9:46 AM, Switchblade said:

You need to install and use binhex-minidlna.  You will then see the Linux icon, select that, login, and save.  Assuming you have your directory path set correctly, should work.  Of course you also need to setup a share.  To help you with the minidnla settings, see mine below.

Thanks a ton, now I can give the DVR service a try!

• 3 months later...

I installed this docker and was unable to get the dvr service to work. Manual recording worked fine. Installing the miniDLNA docker and then using the NAS install from the windows hdhomerun utility enabled the dvr service properly, however, the service needs to be restarted at every reboot of the miniDLNA docker. After a bit of digging, I found that supervisord could be used within the miniDLNA docker.

Start the miniDLNA console and add :

[program:hdhomerun_record]
command = /media/hdhomerun_record foreground --conf = /media/hdhomerun.conf
autorestart = False
user = nobody
umask = 000

to a file called hdhomerun_record.conf in

/etc/supervisor/conf.d/

I used vi to do this.

I had to delete my previous record tasks and re-add them after getting miniDLNA installed and working.

Not sure if a miniDLNA docker update will wipe this or not...perhaps a path setting in docker config could be set to preserve this file if so?

• 3 months later...

For whatever reason, my DVR service is not showing up any longer.  This WAS working fine.... now it just stopped working.  I just checked and my record engine has an IP of 172.17.0.3 but my Tuner is reporting 192.168.86.31 (which is on my actual LAN - the 172 is not)

Not sure how to fix this?

I installed the miniDLNA docker to try and "work around" whatever issue is happening.  I set up my docker from the screenshot that @Switchblade provided, pointing it to my HDHomeRun directory and share on my Array.  Hit apply, no errors, but after that... I've got nothing.

Checking the log files of the docker shows these entries over and over (not sure if this info helps?)

HDHomeRun RECORD already running
2019-05-10 18:47:44,365 INFO exited: hdhomerun_dvr (exit status 0; not expected)
2019-05-10 18:47:45,367 INFO gave up: hdhomerun_dvr entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly

Edited by CoZ
On 5/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, CoZ said:

For whatever reason, my DVR service is not showing up any longer.  This WAS working fine.... now it just stopped working.  I just checked and my record engine has an IP of 172.17.0.3 but my Tuner is reporting 192.168.86.31 (which is on my actual LAN - the 172 is not)

Not sure how to fix this?

I installed the miniDLNA docker to try and "work around" whatever issue is happening.  I set up my docker from the screenshot that @Switchblade provided, pointing it to my HDHomeRun directory and share on my Array.  Hit apply, no errors, but after that... I've got nothing.

Checking the log files of the docker shows these entries over and over (not sure if this info helps?)

HDHomeRun RECORD already running
2019-05-10 18:47:44,365 INFO exited: hdhomerun_dvr (exit status 0; not expected)
2019-05-10 18:47:45,367 INFO gave up: hdhomerun_dvr entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly

There are actually 2 different issues here.

One is a networking issue with the container.  The container is supposed to be in Host Networking Mode.

I forget the setting to fix this, but then I haven't used Unraid in some time, so the only changes I have made to the container over the past 2 years has been to update the Record engine by replacing the executable in the Github.

Linux Subsystem for Windows for the Win. :)

Side note, the Linux x64 version used by Unraid, also runs on Windows 10 64 bit with Ubuntu installed.

The Log file error just means that the container isn't seeing that the Record engine is already running, and when it tries to start another one it fails and complains about it.  In all honestly, it has always done this, and while I totally admit it is bad form, it shouldn't impact normal operation.

Edited by Yoshiofthewire
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Yoshiofthewire said:

There are actually 2 different issues here.

One is a networking issue with the container.  The container is supposed to be in Host Networking Mode.

Thanks for the reply!

Fixed, changed the docker to "Host" - that was my fault. In my mass panic to try and figure out why it wasn't updating I messed with the docker, removing and re-installing over and over again.  

I've still got a big fat red X when I navigate to my.hdhomerun.com - it shows the DVR out of date as Version 20180817.  I'm guessing there is an even newer binary than this version now?

Edit:  Just got a update to the Docker and all is well..

Edited by CoZ

Pushed 20190516beta2.

If the new muti-tuner breaks something, please message me and I will revert the change.

Info about this update: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=71529

FYI: For the adventuress of you if you aren't also running a Plex Server, here are some tricks.

2 lines have been added to the hdhomerun.conf file.

StorageID=UnraidDocker1
RecordStreamsMax=16

The StorageID in the conf file must be specified (and must be unique).

I specified this as I was unsure if the server would be able to write to the config file.

To limit the number of concurrent recordings set RecordStreamsMax in the conf file. Once this limit is reached another record engine will take over additional concurrent recordings. The default/max is 16.

If RecordStreamsMax is set to 0 the server will be used for playback but will not make new recordings.

Edited by Yoshiofthewire
On 5/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, Yoshiofthewire said:

Pushed 20190516beta2.

If the new muti-tuner breaks something, please message me and I will revert the change.

So far, no issues.   Really appreciate you keeping this alive!

• Yoshiofthewire changed the title to [Support] urlxl - HDHomeRun DVR [20210501beta1]