Marvell driver problem: is there a fix?

Hey all, I am building an Unraid system on a computator built around an Asus Z9PE-D8 motherboard. It is mostly working fine, except I have come across an issue with one of the disk controllers. This is a Marvell controller that has the issue that it fails when Unraid starts up with Vt-d enabled (which I need to run VMs). This bug is described in a few places on this forum, but it isn't clear if this has been fixed or if there is a consistent workaround. Can anyone clarify if there is a good workaround for this, or should I just buy a non-marvell controller?

Thanks,

Richard

Does this also work for a Addonics - AD4SA6GPX2 6G 4­port SATA PCIe card it has a Marvell 88SE9230

I installed the card and it shows in the device list but I am unable to see any attached hard drives

If it does where in the syslinux.conf should the added code go? i'm guessing somewhere in this first section

default /syslinux/menu.c32

menu title Lime Technology

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

append intel_pstate=disable initrd=/bzroot

You have to add this to your syslinux.conf after append.

iommu=pt

Should look like this.

append iommu=pt initrd=/bzroot

I have the same motherboard and its working for me.

I didn't realize there was a workaround!  Great!  I must have missed it.

I've added a note in blue to the Marvell bug thread, based on your answer.  Can you check whether it's worded correctly, and do you have any further suggestions?

You have to add this to your syslinux.conf after append.

iommu=pt

Should look like this.

append iommu=pt initrd=/bzroot

I have the same motherboard and its working for me.

I didn't realize there was a workaround!  Great!  I must have missed it.

I've added a note in blue to the Marvell bug thread, based on your answer.  Can you check whether it's worded correctly, and do you have any further suggestions?

That looks good. I don't have anything to add. I just found that suggestion in the kernel bug reporter the marvell issue and thought I'd try it. I thought I posted it here but might have forgotten it.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I am trying unRAID 6.9.2.

I have a Marvell 88SX6081 8 port SATA PCI-X card on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard.

I made the modification to /syslinux/syslinux.conf as Community Developer saarg's post.

Now, I have 3 HDD. 2 on SATA on motherboard, 1 on Marvell card. They seems working fine.

Lucky for me to see the thread before pluging an HDD to Marvell card, so I don't know if Marvell card still work without the modification to /syslinux/syslinux.conf.

Just post to tell it's working and thank you.

Edited by ericave

I am going to make a comment here while pinging @JorgeB who is much more of a Guru than I am.

The problem with Marvell controllers is that they mostly work.  (However, that is like using a parachute that mostly works.)  When they don't work (or work right), the problems are varied and differ widely in their symptoms.  If you decide to use one, just realize that when you have an array, disk or data problem, switch to another HBA card, preferably one made by LSI.

• 1 month later...