Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I did see that but I think the share/unshare is for Devices not the Remote SMB/NFS / Iso File Shares. Here is a photo of the 2 tabs I can find for UD and I dont see a share/unshare for the SMB.

Only physical devices can be "unshared".  Remote SMB/NFS mounts are always shared.  I'm not sure why you would want to mount a remote share and not share it on unRAID.

Is it possible to hide a device from unassigned devices?

I have an SSD that I have passed thru to a VM and I would prefer if if was not listed under unassigned devices incase someone tries to mount it while attached to the VM and cause corruption.

Thanks for all your work!

All devices not assigned to the array are shown in UD.  There is no way to block a device.

I installed the plugin, plugged in my external and UNRAID recognizes the device:

Aug 19 00:08:58 Tower kernel: usb 7-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd

Aug 19 00:08:58 Tower kernel: usb-storage 7-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected

Aug 19 00:08:58 Tower kernel: scsi host24: usb-storage 7-2:1.0

But both SNAP and Unassigned Devices do not show it listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UD and SNAP cannot be run at the same time.  Remove SNAP and rely on UD for mounting your devices.  SNAP has been deprecated and has not been tested on later versions of unRAID 6.0.  If you remove SNAP and the device is still not detected by UD, let me know and we can troubleshoot further.

Just updated to 6.2rc4. I was running 6.1.9. I previously had my docker.img and appdata on an SSD mounted with the unassigned devices plugin. The docker.img is not recognized now. I tried deleting it and recreating but it would not create a docker.img on the ssd. I put in the path to the ssd, click apply, and nothing happens.

I tried creating a docker.img on the cache drive and it was successful. I deleted that image and tried again on the ssd, but no luck. I'd rather use the SSD for dockers, otherwise the cache drive stays spun up all the time because of the dockers I use.

edit: I'm just going to use the SSD as a cache drive and add the former cache drive to the array.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a problem

Since Windows 10 build 14905 update windows ask me to enter a login/password to access a shared folder with unassigned devices

Ownership for directory is nobody:users with 777 permissions

Ftp unraid user cas access folder with filezilla without problem but windows explorer refuse

I've tried to enter login/pass of root and ftp user without succes

Extract of log

Sep 02 00:53:25 Error: No valid smb users defined. Share '/mnt/disks/500_SSHD_NAS' cannot be accessed.

Sep 02 00:53:25 Defining share '500_SSHD_NAS' on file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/500_SSHD_NAS.conf'

Sep 02 00:53:25 Adding share '500_SSHD_NAS' to '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'

Sep 02 00:53:25 Reloading Samba configuration...

Sep 02 00:53:25 Directory '/mnt/disks/500_SSHD_NAS' shared successfully.

Any idea ?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of observations -

Unassigned Devices is actively spinning unused drives up.  I recently removed a small drive from the array, and it then showed up in both Unassigned Devices sections.  Because it was just sitting there, getting hotter even though doing nothing, I wanted it spun down, until I decided what to do with it.  But I discovered that any refresh of the page would spin the drive back up, no matter how I spun it down.  Worse, if I used the built in Unassigned Devices to spin it down, it would rather quickly bounce back up.  First the spin indicator would change and the temp would disappear, then in less than a minute the spin indicator would change back then the temp would reappear.  Only when I manually spun it down at the command line (hdparm -y) did it stay down, at least until the next Main page refresh.  I couldn't find any other mechanism involved, so uninstalled this UD, and then found that I could spin the drive down through the built in UD, and it stayed spun down, even with full page refresh.

As best as I can tell, UD accesses the drive at start and any Main page change, causing drive spin up.  And even though the built in UD doesn't refresh the full page when I click the spin indicator, I suspect it somehow triggers UD to recheck devices, thereby spinning them back up.  Possibly that drive check or access is a SMART check or temp check?  It doesn't show temps though.

Also, clicking the 'Complete' indicator is persistent on the normal Main screen, but does not appear to be in the unRAID boot GUI.  I have to turn it off each boot.  I don't know if it's a cookie issue in the built in Firefox, or something else.  Since it's loaded in RAM, may have to find a different way to save the setting.

A couple of observations -

Unassigned Devices is actively spinning unused drives up.  I recently removed a small drive from the array, and it then showed up in both Unassigned Devices sections.  Because it was just sitting there, getting hotter even though doing nothing, I wanted it spun down, until I decided what to do with it.  But I discovered that any refresh of the page would spin the drive back up, no matter how I spun it down.  Worse, if I used the built in Unassigned Devices to spin it down, it would rather quickly bounce back up.  First the spin indicator would change and the temp would disappear, then in less than a minute the spin indicator would change back then the temp would reappear.  Only when I manually spun it down at the command line (hdparm -y) did it stay down, at least until the next Main page refresh.  I couldn't find any other mechanism involved, so uninstalled this UD, and then found that I could spin the drive down through the built in UD, and it stayed spun down, even with full page refresh.

As best as I can tell, UD accesses the drive at start and any Main page change, causing drive spin up.  And even though the built in UD doesn't refresh the full page when I click the spin indicator, I suspect it somehow triggers UD to recheck devices, thereby spinning them back up.  Possibly that drive check or access is a SMART check or temp check?  It doesn't show temps though.

Also, clicking the 'Complete' indicator is persistent on the normal Main screen, but does not appear to be in the unRAID boot GUI.  I have to turn it off each boot.  I don't know if it's a cookie issue in the built in Firefox, or something else.  Since it's loaded in RAM, may have to find a different way to save the setting.

If you don't want the drive to spin up, be sure you do not have a script defined.  If you do then delete the script.  The second post describes this and some other good practices.

If you don't want the drive to spin up, be sure you do not have a script defined.  If you do then delete the script.  The second post describes this and some other good practices.

I've never touched the Script button, don't actually know what happens when you click it.  I think you're saying there is automatically a default script attached, and somehow through that button I should delete it?  (Being lazy here, I really should reinstall UD and find out for myself!)

Just updated to 6.2rc4. I was running 6.1.9. I previously had my docker.img and appdata on an SSD mounted with the unassigned devices plugin. The docker.img is not recognized now. I tried deleting it and recreating but it would not create a docker.img on the ssd. I put in the path to the ssd, click apply, and nothing happens.

I tried creating a docker.img on the cache drive and it was successful. I deleted that image and tried again on the ssd, but no luck. I'd rather use the SSD for dockers, otherwise the cache drive stays spun up all the time because of the dockers I use.

edit: I'm just going to use the SSD as a cache drive and add the former cache drive to the array.

Same exact issue w/6.2. I ended up getting a 1TB SSD as my cache, but now I can't do any docker items on Unassigned Devices (I had two, one for all apps except Plex (120GB) and one for Plex alone (480GB, so my metadata / thumbnails could take as much space as possible). I'm glad I can have multiple Cache drives now. After a previous update I had issues as well, so I'm just moving all my SSDs to Cache Drives and going from there.

Same exact issue w/6.2. I ended up getting a 1TB SSD as my cache, but now I can't do any docker items on Unassigned Devices (I had two, one for all apps except Plex (120GB) and one for Plex alone (480GB, so my metadata / thumbnails could take as much space as possible). I'm glad I can have multiple Cache drives now. After a previous update I had issues as well, so I'm just moving all my SSDs to Cache Drives and going from there.

docker.img has to be on the cache.  You should however be able to keep the appdata for whatever you choose on a UD device.  Just change the Mounting Mode for the host path from RW to be RW:Slave

@Squid - I know, I thought that as well. None of those options worked for me, so I'll just rock the two cache drives (or more) until they don't work for me any longer, I guess.

I had a heckuva issue earlier this summer w/Unassigned Devices, so combined with this I'm going to take the current path I know is working. Plex looked like it'd start, but in Plex the app I had no love finding my Server.

Anybody can help me to solve it ?

Thanks.

Hi

I have a problem

Since Windows 10 build 14905 update windows ask me to enter a login/password to access a shared folder with unassigned devices

Ownership for directory is nobody:users with 777 permissions

Ftp unraid user cas access folder with filezilla without problem but windows explorer refuse

I've tried to enter login/pass of root and ftp user without succes

Extract of log

Sep 02 00:53:25 Error: No valid smb users defined. Share '/mnt/disks/500_SSHD_NAS' cannot be accessed.

Sep 02 00:53:25 Defining share '500_SSHD_NAS' on file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/500_SSHD_NAS.conf'

Sep 02 00:53:25 Adding share '500_SSHD_NAS' to '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'

Sep 02 00:53:25 Reloading Samba configuration...

Sep 02 00:53:25 Directory '/mnt/disks/500_SSHD_NAS' shared successfully.

Any idea ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm having trouble with unassigned devices.  When I mount the drive and share it I'm being prompted for credentials and none of the credentials I use seems to work.  I can access my other shares with no problem.  I have tried creating a new user, clearing the credentials but nothing seems to work.  Can someone help with this?  Any other information I need to supply?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan.

Hi,

I'm having trouble with unassigned devices.  When I mount the drive and share it I'm being prompted for credentials and none of the credentials I use seems to work.  I can access my other shares with no problem.  I have tried creating a new user, clearing the credentials but nothing seems to work.  Can someone help with this?  Any other information I need to supply?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan.

There are some settings in the Settings->Unassigned Devices related to SMB permissons.  Check those.  Click on 'Help' and read the settings configuration.

Just to be sure I understand this method - I have a 3TB Parity drive + 2x2TB data drives and want to backup my 1TB picture collection, I can add a 1TB drive and make a cron job to daily backup the files to the UD drive?

Should probably just try it out but don't want to mess anything up in case this is not the purpose of it.

Just to be sure I understand this method - I have a 3TB Parity drive + 2x2TB data drives and want to backup my 1TB picture collection, I can add a 1TB drive and make a cron job to daily backup the files to the UD drive?

Should probably just try it out but don't want to mess anything up in case this is not the purpose of it.

The preferred way to do this is to use the User Scripts plugin and set up a script and then set it to run daily.

Hi,

I've been using a precleared drive as a hot spare for quite some time now.

I had the problem that the drive was always spinning after I woke up my server.

So I installed the UD plugin and now the drive at least does show as spun down.

I have not mounted the drive with unassigned devices or something. It's just not assigned to the array.

So my question is if unassigned devices plugin really prevents the drive from spinning up or if the actual status is just not reported anymore?

Just want to make sure that the drive stays really spun down just because I installed this plugin.

It's working for me to...

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Ryan.

There are some settings in the Settings->Unassigned Devices related to SMB permissons.  Check those.  Click on 'Help' and read the settings configuration.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have not mounted the drive with unassigned devices or something. It's just not assigned to the array.

So my question is if unassigned devices plugin really prevents the drive from spinning up or if the actual status is just not reported anymore?

Just want to make sure that the drive stays really spun down just because I installed this plugin.

Can someone clarify this for me please? :)

Hi,

Can someone clarify this for me please? :)

The temperature indication will be a '*' when the drive is spun down.  If a temperature is shown, the drive is spinning.

• trurl pinned this topic