Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Update from 2017.06.23a to 2017.06.28a, my nvme (cache) disk missing and UD identification problem in booting unRAID (6.4rc6) seems gone. 

Sometimes, this drive me crazy because if problem occur, I need to wait GUI start up ( 6 min instead 2 min ) and stop / start array to fixed.

The NVME drive isn't handled by UD, right?

Enviado de meu SM-G930F usando Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

The NVME drive isn't handled by UD, right?

Enviado de meu SM-G930F usando Tapatalk

It should be.  I added the nvme drive recognition some time ago.  I think he is saying that it is working.  It's just not real clear what he is saying.

It should be.  I added the nvme drive recognition some time ago.  I think he is saying that it is working.  It's just not real clear what he is saying.

I'm saying that because of the new diskinfo daemon; it's not tested for nvme support. Will MP you about this.
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for the not clear !!

The story was

- The NVMe (PLEXTOR PX-512M8PeG) was new add after 6.4rc2

- 1st problem (minor) was NVMe assign to cache and disply as "eui.002303563000fe74 - 512 GB (nvme0n1)", but UD also show "its serial no." with grey colour. If refresh, then it will disappear as expect. UD can mount NVMe if unassign it to cache.

- 2nd problem (major) was unRAID bootup always need wait longtime, Syslinix prompt already show, it need wait more ~4min then all disk start mount and GUI up. But you may found the cache disk will be missing. To fix this major problem, you may stop/start the array or reboot again. From the log "rc.diskinfo process" will show several times.

To minmise 2nd problem happen, I found set Syslinux prompt waiting longer, i.e. 10s instead 5s, cache missing problem will be gone. But long bootup problem sometime will happen too.

After yesterday UD update, UD won't show the NVMe (cache) again. And I also found long bootup and cache missing problem also gone, "rc.diskinfo process" just show one time, the Syslinux prompt also can return to 5s.

Edited by Benson
16 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

I believe is talking about ReFS, the new MS filesystem and AFAIK not supported by unRAID or any other linux OS.

Yes, I am talking about the new MS filesystem ReFs, ReiferFS. None of the Auto-mounts are working.

Also I have 2 drives with the same name(Volume) which overrites the shares. The log shows this:

/Volume'
Jun 30 07:48:03 Successfully mounted '/dev/sdd1' on '/mnt/disks/Volume'.
Jun 30 07:48:03 Defining share 'Volume' on file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Volume.conf'
Jun 30 07:48:03 Adding share 'Volume' to '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'
Jun 30 07:48:03 Reloading Samba configuration...
Jun 30 07:48:04 Directory '/mnt/disks/Volume' shared successfully.
Jun 30 07:48:04 Device '/dev/sdd1' script file not found. 'ADD' script not executed.
Jun 30 07:48:08 Adding disk '/dev/sde2'...
Jun 30 07:48:08 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ntfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sde2' '/mnt/disks/Volume'
Jun 30 07:48:12 Successfully mounted '/dev/sde2' on '/mnt/disks/Volume'.
Jun 30 07:48:12 Defining share 'Volume' on file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Volume.conf'
Jun 30 07:48:12 Reloading Samba configuration...
Jun 30 07:48:12 Directory '/mnt/disks/Volume' shared successfully.
Jun 30 07:48:12 Device '/dev/sde2' script file not found. 'ADD' script not executed.
Jun 30 07:48:16 Adding disk '/dev/sdf2'...
Jun 30 07:48:16 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t ntfs -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sdf2' '/mnt/disks

Where can I change the name of one Volume that I can share them both?

After one of the recent updates, I started having issues with detection of one of my drives handled by UD. Specifically, this is an NVMe drive (Samsung EVO 960). The problem I'm having is that my drive is now listed as missing under the historical devices, but it also shows up under unassigned devices with the option to format it. The volume for this drive is still mounted and data that was stored on the volume is still accessible. I've seen a lot of chatter about NVMe here in recent posts. Is this a known issue that is being worked on?

38 minutes ago, kpereira said:

After one of the recent updates, I started having issues with detection of one of my drives handled by UD. Specifically, this is an NVMe drive (Samsung EVO 960). The problem I'm having is that my drive is now listed as missing under the historical devices, but it also shows up under unassigned devices with the option to format it. The volume for this drive is still mounted and data that was stored on the volume is still accessible. I've seen a lot of chatter about NVMe here in recent posts. Is this a known issue that is being worked on?

Will send you a MP.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Turn on Help for the page.

Thanks for your hint I read the help file and could change the volume name. But how can I make the given auto-mount script to run at each start?

It would be nice if it would " '/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount auto' - all devices and SMB/NFS mounts set to auto mount will be mounted. " run this script automatically at each start.

9 minutes ago, UltimateWidder said:

Thanks for your hint I read the help file and could change the volume name. But how can I make the given auto-mount script to run at each start?

It would be nice if it would " '/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount auto' - all devices and SMB/NFS mounts set to auto mount will be mounted. " run this script automatically at each start.

That's exactly what it does.  Post the ud log so I can see why you are having trouble.

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That's exactly what it does.  Post the ud log so I can see why you are having trouble.

Where can I find that logs? Do you mean this?

Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Mounted /dev/sdb2 (Read-Write, label "label1", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdb2,blkdev,blksize=2048
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Mounted /dev/sdd1 (Read-Write, label "label2", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdd1,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Mounted /dev/sde2 (Read-Write, label "label3", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sde2,blkdev,blksize=1024
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Mounted /dev/sdf2 (Read-Write, label "label4", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdf2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Mounted /dev/sdg2 (Read-Write, label "Kaputt", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdg2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1

Edited by UltimateWidder
1 hour ago, UltimateWidder said:

Where can I find that logs? Do you mean this?

Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Mounted /dev/sdb2 (Read-Write, label "label1", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdb2,blkdev,blksize=2048
Jun 30 13:25:45 Tower ntfs-3g[27572]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Mounted /dev/sdd1 (Read-Write, label "label2", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdd1,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun 30 13:25:51 Tower ntfs-3g[28191]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Mounted /dev/sde2 (Read-Write, label "label3", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sde2,blkdev,blksize=1024
Jun 30 13:26:01 Tower ntfs-3g[28841]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Mounted /dev/sdf2 (Read-Write, label "label4", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdf2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun 30 13:26:09 Tower ntfs-3g[29478]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Version 2016.2.22 integrated FUSE 27
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Mounted /dev/sdg2 (Read-Write, label "Kaputt", NTFS 3.1)
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Cmdline options: rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Mount options: rw,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,noatime,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sdg2,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jun 30 13:26:14 Tower ntfs-3g[30101]: Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 1

Partly.  You need to slow down a little bit and understand how UD works before firing off and saying that UD auto mount is broken.  You are also not giving me enough information to help you.

The auto mount script is run on an unRAID event when disks are mounted.  This event occurs when the drives are all mounted and the array is started.  This is the right time for UD to auto mount drives, remote shares, etc.  No one else is having an issue with this operation so it is something unique to your setup.  I suspect it's a timing issue because it seems you can run the auto mount command at the command line and the drives mount.  So whatever prevented the initial auto mount has had time to settle.

There are several tools to help you with UD.  Hover your mouse over any active area and a tool tip will show you what clicking that area will do.  Click the 'Help' text in the menu bar and it will turn on help and there is a description of the UD operations.  Many questions like how to rename a share are answered in this help text.

Here is what I need you to do.  Follow these steps and give me the information before doing any array operations.

• Reboot your server.
  • Get the diagnostics zip at Tools->Diagnostics.  Post that file in response to this message.
  • Click on the log download button on the UD web page and post that in response to this message.
  • Capture a screen shot of the UD page so I can see the devices you are trying to mount that you say do not auto mount.

I'll then be able to get the information I need to help you with your issue.

18 hours ago, kpereira said:

Fixed.

Hi Guys,

Just installed UD on unraid 6.3.5, there's 1 unassigned SSD in my system that I'm trying to mount for VM/Dockers.

I've formatted the drive as xfs and 1 partition is showing after clicking the + (Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_250GB_S1DBNSAF553821F).

I type in a new mount name, press enter and nothing happens, the cursor just keeps flashing waiting for more text input.

If I click outside of the text box, the label changes back to the original drive name, if I mount it mounts as the original drive name,

Tried 3 different browsers thinking that could be the issue (firefox/ie/vivaldi) and tried on a second PC, any ideas how to get the new label to stick? Or maybe a manual entry I can make to .cfg file to bypass it.

Cheers.

22 minutes ago, nicr4wks said:

Hi Guys,

Just installed UD on unraid 6.3.5, there's 1 unassigned SSD in my system that I'm trying to mount for VM/Dockers.

I've formatted the drive as xfs and 1 partition is showing after clicking the + (Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_250GB_S1DBNSAF553821F).

I type in a new mount name, press enter and nothing happens, the cursor just keeps flashing waiting for more text input.

If I click outside of the text box, the label changes back to the original drive name, if I mount it mounts as the original drive name,

Tried 3 different browsers thinking that could be the issue (firefox/ie/vivaldi) and tried on a second PC, any ideas how to get the new label to stick? Or maybe a manual entry I can make to .cfg file to bypass it.

Cheers.

It seems to work when I press enter but stays on the field.  I'll have a look.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

It seems to work when I press enter but stays on the field.  I'll have a look.

It looks to be a problem on disks with multiple partitions.  It appears to affect the first partition only.  Working on a fix.

• Upvote 1

Minor Bug Report

I noticed that when I toggle the complete/simple switch from the main tab, the setting doesn't save. If I refresh the page after toggling, the switch is back to its original state. If I go to the UD page through the plugins tab, and toggle the switch, the setting does save and the state persists in the main tab.

I'm making an assumption that this is a UD issue and not some conflict specific to my system. It would be great if someone else could confirm the behavior I'm describing.

5 minutes ago, kpereira said:

Minor Bug Report

I noticed that when I toggle the complete/simple switch from the main tab, the setting doesn't save. If I refresh the page after toggling, the switch is back to its original state. If I go to the UD page through the plugins tab, and toggle the switch, the setting does save and the state persists in the main tab.

I'm making an assumption that this is a UD issue and not some conflict specific to my system. It would be great if someone else could confirm the behavior I'm describing.

Not seeing that in safari.

1 hour ago, kpereira said:

Minor Bug Report

Don't see that with Chrome.

1 hour ago, kpereira said:

Minor Bug Report

Do you have cookies disabled?  UD uses a cookie to store that status.

14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Do you have cookies disabled?  UD uses a cookie to store that status.

I do not have cookies disabled, but I did some digging around and have a suspicion as to what the problem is.

It looks like 2 unassigned-complete-view cookies are being set, each with a different path value. When the cookie is set from the main tab, the path is the root "/", but when setting the cookie from the UD page, the path is "/Main". Once the cookie with the path "/Main" is set, the UD interface on the main tab always reads from that cookie, but still writes to the cookie with the root path.

I haven't tested, but I imagine always setting the the path to the root will resolve the issue. You can specify this in the options.

$.cookie('unassigned-complete-view', value, {path: '/'});

By the way, I'm using the latest version of Chrome.

I'm fairly new to this plugin and i had a question about the format feature. I had a drive that had already been precleared but i hit the format button and made it into xfs, would i be able to add it to the array like that or has it lost its preclear status? Would i have to preclear it again since i formatted it outside the array with the plugin and not with the disk being added then choosing to format it?

48 minutes ago, cherritaker said:

I'm fairly new to this plugin and i had a question about the format feature. I had a drive that had already been precleared but i hit the format button and made it into xfs, would i be able to add it to the array like that or has it lost its preclear status? Would i have to preclear it again since i formatted it outside the array with the plugin and not with the disk being added then choosing to format it?

Formatting a drive in UD causes it to lose its pre-clear status so it can no longer be added to the array without affecting parity.   If you tried to add a disk formatted in this way to the array, unRAID would promptly clear it down again and make you format it after it had been added to the array.   This means you should only format a drive from UD than you do NOT intend to add to the array.

16 hours ago, dlandon said:

It looks to be a problem on disks with multiple partitions.  It appears to affect the first partition only.  Working on a fix.

Tested this out and seems to be the case, created 2 partitions on the disk and I can rename the second but not the first.

If there's only 1 partition then it won't rename.

Will await the fix so I can use the whole disk, cheers :)

Edit:

Manually modified the config file and added 

mountpoint.1 = "/mnt/disks/EVO1"

Which has done the trick for getting the first partition to mount under a different name.

Edited by nicr4wks
  • trurl pinned this topic