Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, Videodr0me said:

The last couple of versions of the unassinged devices plugin seem to forget the auto-share options. I rebooted server 3 to 4 times in the past 2 month and every time it forgot the mount and share settings (curiously not of all drives). As these were mainly system updates I did not think much of it, but it also happened after a normal reboot. After revisiting the unassinged devices tab and (again) enabling the mounts everything works fine. Is this normal or is something strange going on?

It sounds like a corruption in the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file.  This is the file that stores the settings.  I would remove the UD plugin, remove the unassigned.devices.cfg file, re-install the UD plugin, and then re-do all your settings.

Hi,

I got an email from Crashplan today stating that my backup hadn't run for three days. My backup destination is a Lacie external RAID thing with 2x4TB drives in RAID 1. It is connected through USB3 and UD.

Well, it was connected through UD. Upon inspection it was not mounted. I tried to mount it and got this:

Aug 04 20:21:03 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdk2' '/mnt/disks/Hebe'
Aug 04 20:21:03 Mount of '/dev/sdk2' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdk2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

I ran xfs_repair without and with the -L flag but that doesn't appear to have helped. It still won't mount :(

So, given that I'm currently 2000 km away from the machine I can't physically look at the enclosure to see if it's having some hardware RAID melt down or disk failure, have I got any other options? Assuming that I haven't corrupted the data on the good disk with the -L flag, that is if I've had a single drive failure.

Cheers,

Tom

Update: I got someone to have a look at the enclosure and all was well, no LEDs indicating single or double drive failure. They also rebooted the enclosure but the problem still persists...

Oh, there's another small EFI partition on the disk, not sure what it's for, but it's been there since I set it up and it mounts and unmounts fine, so I'm guessing the problem lies with the XFS filesystem on the sdk2 partition. What's the best way to reformat if it's required? 

Edited by giantkingsquid
typo
On 4.8.2017 at 0:30 PM, dlandon said:

It sounds like a corruption in the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file.  This is the file that stores the settings.  I would remove the UD plugin, remove the unassigned.devices.cfg file, re-install the UD plugin, and then re-do all your settings.

Just for forensics I attached the current unassinged.devices.cfg:

unassigned.devices.cfg

maybe you can look at it. The only strange thing i notice is that the config part is in the middle between the individual drive parts. Maybe this confuses the parser to ignore everything that follows or precedes [Config]

One other thing is that there also is a zero byte file called iso_mount.cfg. This might be correct though as i do not use an iso share (but some back i briefly tried the feature).

Edited by Videodr0me

Hi there,

sorry to bother you but I am trying a solution for a while but there is no way I can find something useful... Basically what I want to obtain is the following:

- Use Unassigned Device to mount an external drive where to download through JDownloader and Transmission

- Once in a while I would like to disconnect the disc from Unraid and read/write it with OSX Sierra...

Is this possible? Tried to format in different way but once I plug it in my mac there is no way to read anything...

Thanks for the help

42 minutes ago, gideva said:

Hi there,

sorry to bother you but I am trying a solution for a while but there is no way I can find something useful... Basically what I want to obtain is the following:

- Use Unassigned Device to mount an external drive where to download through JDownloader and Transmission

- Once in a while I would like to disconnect the disc from Unraid and read/write it with OSX Sierra...

Is this possible? Tried to format in different way but once I plug it in my mac there is no way to read anything...

Thanks for the help

Try formatting it on your mac and then see if you can mount it in Unassigned Devices.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:36 PM, wgstarks said:

Did you try HFS+? You should be able to format the drive on your Mac and then mount it with UD.

With the proper driver packages installed you should also be able to do this with NTFS and EXT. I don't think Apple includes support for these formats by default though.

Tried and tried again and at the end NTFS worked!!!

Thanks

I ran into an issue with the Unassigned Devices plugin mounting SMB shares and have a feature request.

It finds the share from my Apple Time Capsule correctly with the following in the SMB extras area under Settings > SMB > SMB Extras

client use sec = ntlm
client use spnego = no

But the actual mount of the drive fails with:

Aug 10 22:37:18 Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,username=cap,password=******* '//MyAIRPORT/capData' '/mnt/disks/capData'
Aug 10 22:37:18 Mount of '//MyAIRPORT/capData' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

If I manually add 'sec=ntlm' to the options of the mount SMB command shown above it does mount fine.

My feature request is to add a dropdown to select the type of security to use.

On 8/3/2017 at 4:31 AM, dlandon said:

I did a little research on this problem and it is a Linux design issue.  For example to find out the size of a mounted device, UD uses df on the mount point.  If df is run on a mounted device that is off-line it will hang (this is by design) waiting for the device to come back on-line.  I did what I could for the SMB shares by not doing things like a df on it if UD sees that it is off-line.  It would be very unwieldy to try to cover all the cases, and I don't have any interest in doing anything further with LT saying they will fold UD into unRAID.

My suggestion is to not mount SMB shares in unRAID for extended time periods, and if you do be sure the mount stays on-line.  Why mount an SMB share in unRAID to then just share it again as an SMB share?  If you are sharing SMB shares with NFS on unRAID, I'd suggest another answer.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:00 PM, Squid said:

Fair enough. My use case for smb mounts is to mount shares from a secondary server so that my docker apps can access the files

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

exactly same here, all my data comes over Windows share. Storage is on other machine.

I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread, but here goes...

I have a couple of Western Digital 5TB Element drives arriving this week. I want to preclear them in their enclosures using UD, crack open the cases once completed and then add/update the Unraid array. I haven't precleared a drive for years and the last time was over the command line. Is there anything I need to be wary of with preclearing through UD?  If I install the preclear plugin am I good to go or is there some "tuning" required?

Many thanks guys.

Can anyone tell me how this plugin uses smbclient to mount an smb share? I'm trying to utilise the rc.unassigned script to mount the listed share via a cs user script but it seems to fail with the path. If I can work out the smbclient syntax instead then it won't matter. I have trawled through the source on github but struggling to see how it works.

On 8/22/2017 at 3:15 AM, allanp81 said:

Can anyone tell me how this plugin uses smbclient to mount an smb share? I'm trying to utilise the rc.unassigned script to mount the listed share via a cs user script but it seems to fail with the path. If I can work out the smbclient syntax instead then it won't matter. I have trawled through the source on github but struggling to see how it works.

Smb shares are mounted as CIFS.  You can Google how to do that.

Hope this isn't a silly question.

I plugged an old hard drive into my server.  When it shows up under unassigned devices, my only option is to format.  There is no option to mount like the other drives I have that are not part of the array.

What do I need to do to be able to mount this device outside the array without formatting?

I have a previous data disk from my Unraid array that I would like to mount with Unassigned Devices. At the moment the mounting process takes quite a few seconds before a red x pops up. Any ideas?

edit - just noticed this in the log

Aug 30 22:27:33 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdg1' '/mnt/disks/WD20EARS'
Aug 30 22:27:33 Mount of '/dev/sdg1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdg1,

edit 2

this is a WD20EARS drive that has the jumper removed and has been placed in a USB3 enclosure

@dlandon Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by johnieutah
added details
On 8/30/2017 at 4:26 PM, johnieutah said:

I have a previous data disk from my Unraid array that I would like to mount with Unassigned Devices. At the moment the mounting process takes quite a few seconds before a red x pops up. Any ideas?

edit - just noticed this in the log

Aug 30 22:27:33 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdg1' '/mnt/disks/WD20EARS'
Aug 30 22:27:33 Mount of '/dev/sdg1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdg1,

edit 2

this is a WD20EARS drive that has the jumper removed and has been placed in a USB3 enclosure

@dlandon Any ideas?

Thanks.

Was the jumper installed when it was formatted and partitioned in the array?

Can you post the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file?

Can you try the disk on an sata port?  The USB enclosure may be an issue.

• trurl pinned this topic