Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Was the jumper installed when it was formatted and partitioned in the array?

Can you post the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file?

Can you try the disk on an sata port?  The USB enclosure may be an issue.

No, I used to run this drive with a jumper, but when I upgraded to Unraid 6 and a new server a couple of years ago, I removed it and started from scratch.

Trying this disk on a sata port is difficult as it is very difficult to remove the drive from the enclosure without risk of damage (to the enclosure) - which I'd rather avoid TBH.

Log

root@Toaster:~# more /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.                                                                                                                                                             cfg
[SanDisk_Extreme_AA011023141318292472-0:0]
share.1 = "no"
[00BEVE-00WZT0_000000000000]
share.1 = "yes"
[Config]
common_cmd = ""
destructive_mode = "enabled"
automount_usb = "no"
smb_security = "no"
smb_admin = "read-write"
smb_shield = "no-access"
smb_marion = "no-access"
[GB0160CAABV_5RX5625J]
share.1 = "yes"
[Extreme_AA011023141318292472]
share.1 = "yes"
[00BEVS-07RST0_000000000000]
share.1 = "yes"
[Elements_25A3_575833314434375245325934]
share.1 = "no"
[Elements_25A3_574D415A4131373138303038]
mountpoint.1 = "/mnt/disks/WD20EARS"

Update. I've just replaced another array drive this morning. I took out a 750GB Samsung Spinpoint. I've just used the controller from another Elements enclosure (hey those 5TB Element drives were cheap!) to try and mount that, same problem:

Sep 01 18:53:43 Disk with serial 'Elements_25A3_533133554A314B51343030303234' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Sep 01 18:54:15 Adding disk '/dev/sdg1'...
Sep 01 18:54:15 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdg1' '/mnt/disks/WD_Elements_25A3'
Sep 01 18:54:15 Mount of '/dev/sdg1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdg1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so.

Sep 01 18:54:15 Partition 'WD Elements 25A3' could not be mounted, aborting...

Edited by johnieutah
added log

I am having a small problem. I am using an ICY BOX IB-3620 JBOD box for 2 drives. Problem is both drives are detected with the same identification.  If I format them and mount them, the share names of both drives are the same. If I change the name of 1, the other changes too.

The only way to prevent this is to format the drives in windows with NTFS and give them their names there. Then put them in the box. Then they still detected with the same identification but with 2 different share names. 

But I want to use XFS. I there any way to get the drives to show up with different shares with XFS?

I have implemented partitioning xfs and btrfs disks in UD to match the setting of Settings->Disk Settings->Default Partition Format.  The partition will start at sector 63 or 64 based on that setting.  This should allow disks formatted and partitioned with UD to properly go into the array.

With the release of 6.4.0-rc8q and the change to be compatible with 4Kn disks, there seem to be more issues with disks formatted with UD and put into the array.  I had to change out my cache disk on rc7 and unRAID would not format it.  I formatted the new cache disk with UD and installed it as my new cache disk.  unRAID accepted the disk and went happily on its way.  When I upgraded to rc8, the cache disk became un-mountable.  I would have thought that the original formatted cache disk starting at sector 2048 would be rejected by unRAID and force me to format it.  It did not and accepted that format.  I'm seeing others that have upgraded that are probably having the same problem.

Please consider this feature beta until it can be tested beyond what I could do with my limited supply of disks.  For those of you with a tolerance to possibly having problems, please check it out for me and provide feedback.  I'm not an expert on unRAID disk formatting and partitioning, but I think what I did will accomplish the job.

Note: I reluctantly put the time into this feature because of the issues that have come up and I don't see LT folding UD into unRAID in this release.  Hopefully this is all that is needed.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, PaDadof2 said:

I keep getting the error "Disk not Set".  I had two disks running preclear and had major power outage, now when I try to restart preclear, I get that error. I tried to move disk to windows machine and format it, didn't work.  It's the 8TB easystore, not shucked yet.  Thanks.

preclear.PNG

I just rebooted my system, and now everything works....hmmm

Unassigned disks not shown

Hi, I have just started with unRAID and played around with some empty disks. I have a minimal array consisting of two parity and one data drive. I have an additional disk drive and a SSD that are unassigned. When the array is stopped, I can select those in the pull-down menus for additional slots in the array or for the cache. So they are obviously visible for unRAID. They do however not show up under "Unassigned Devices".

It might have to do with the fact that I had them for a short time assigned as cache drive before installing UD, but subsequently unassigned them. How do I get them to show as unassigned?

Thanks for hints.

1 hour ago, tstor said:

Unassigned disks not shown

Hi, I have just started with unRAID and played around with some empty disks. I have a minimal array consisting of two parity and one data drive. I have an additional disk drive and a SSD that are unassigned. When the array is stopped, I can select those in the pull-down menus for additional slots in the array or for the cache. So they are obviously visible for unRAID. They do however not show up under "Unassigned Devices".

It might have to do with the fact that I had them for a short time assigned as cache drive before installing UD, but subsequently unassigned them. How do I get them to show as unassigned?

Thanks for hints.

If you have the preclear plugin installed, remove it and see if the disks show up.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

If you have the preclear plugin installed, remove it and see if the disks show up.

Thank you for posting this. I lost a drive last night and couldn't get it to show in UD. As soon as I deleted the preclear plugin the lost drive was found. It was actually the second drive in about a week to do this. I'm guessing I may be able to get the other one back up and running too?

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

Thank you for posting this. I lost a drive last night and couldn't get it to show in UD. As soon as I deleted the preclear plugin the lost drive was found. It was actually the second drive in about a week to do this. I'm guessing I may be able to get the other one back up and running too?

If you mean UD didn't see the drive, then yes.  The preclear plugin has a background task that checks disk status and UD uses that for its disk status when the preclear plugin is installed.  This was done to cut down on disk activity during preclears, but it seems to have some issues with certain drives.  I would stay away from the preclear plugin for the time being until @gfjardim has a chance to update the plugin.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

Thanks. Can I still run preclears from CLI? I've got another drive shipping in on Wednesday and I'd like to get the preclear started on it since it's 8TB and will take a while.

The cli preclear works fine.  The preclear plugin is pretty cool, but I would wait until @gfjardim updates it to clear up these kinds of issues.  If people continue to have problems, I can disable the background task feature in UD until it is fixed.

• Upvote 2

I've added a configurable option in Settings->Unassigned Devices to enable the preclear rc.diskinfo daemon that is causing the missing UD disks issue.  It defaults to off and should not normally be needed unless the preclear operation is not proceeding as it should or appears to be hung.  This should prevent the missing UD disks.

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

I've added a configurable option in Settings->Unassigned Devices to enable the preclear rc.diskinfo daemon that is causing the missing UD disks issue.  It defaults to off and should not normally be needed unless the preclear operation is not proceeding as it should or appears to be hung.  This should prevent the missing UD disks.

I did the UD plugin update before reading your reply to my question and now the "lost" drive is shown again and yes, I have the preclear plugin installed.

Thanks for the support

54 minutes ago, Spies said:

Does mounting a SMB share in unassigned devices count as a drive in the unraid license?

If you have the Pro license then only drives assigned to unRAID count.   For the Basic and Plus licenses ALL directly connected drives count whether they are assigned to unRAID or not.

the check is applied at array start time so a drive plugged in later (e.g. a USB drive to be used for backups) does not count.

if the question related to mounting a drive on another system via SMB then that does NOT count.

Edited by itimpi
7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you have the Pro license then only drives assigned to unRAID count.   For the Basic and Plus licenses ALL directly connected drives count whether they are assigned to unRAID or not.

the check is applied at array start time so a drive plugged in later (e.g. a USB drive to be used for backups) does not count.

if the question related to mounting a drive on another system via SMB then that does NOT count.

Yes, it would be if I was mounting a path on another NAS which creates a link under the disk/user share.

2 hours ago, tstor said:

I did the UD plugin update before reading your reply to my question and now the "lost" drive is shown again and yes, I have the preclear plugin installed.

Thanks for the support

What I did is not really a fix.  It is a work around.  The preclear rc.diskinfo has some issues and it is now disabled by default in UD with the option of re-enabling it if there are preclear issues.  @gfjardim needs to put the time into fixing the issues with rc.diskinfo.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:01 AM, Squid said:

Is it possible somehow to introduce timeouts or something.  I had the same thing happen when my internal network was messed up, but never bothered to ask about it.

On 8/3/2017 at 4:31 AM, dlandon said:

I did a little research on this problem and it is a Linux design issue.  For example to find out the size of a mounted device, UD uses df on the mount point.  If df is run on a mounted device that is off-line it will hang (this is by design) waiting for the device to come back on-line.  I did what I could for the SMB shares by not doing things like a df on it if UD sees that it is off-line.  It would be very unwieldy to try to cover all the cases, and I don't have any interest in doing anything further with LT saying they will fold UD into unRAID.

My suggestion is to not mount SMB shares in unRAID for extended time periods, and if you do be sure the mount stays on-line.  Why mount an SMB share in unRAID to then just share it again as an SMB share?  If you are sharing SMB shares with NFS on unRAID, I'd suggest another answer.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:00 PM, Squid said:

Fair enough. My use case for smb mounts is to mount shares from a secondary server so that my docker apps can access the files

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have better idea how mount windows share on Unraid ?

I have to use that kind of setup because all my data to docker comes from Windows machine (stablebit clouddrive) plex, sonarr, radarr etc...

13 minutes ago, ufo56 said:

Does anyone have better idea how mount windows share on Unraid ?

I have to use that kind of setup because all my data to docker comes from Windows machine (stablebit clouddrive) plex, sonarr, radarr etc...

You'll have the same problem no matter how you mount it.  It works fine unless your network is flaky or the smb share goes off-line.

This is not a UD issue.  Its the way the CIFS mount works in Linux.

Edited by dlandon
  • trurl pinned this topic