Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 hour ago, jbrown705 said:

I'm sorry, I am not sure which one you need (and possibly how to get it).  Did you want the main log file from the log tab or something else?  Do you need it when the the issue is actually happening?

Thanks!

The diagnostics will have the history of what has been happening plus some information on your system hardware and setup.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:37 PM, dlandon said:

The diagnostics will have the history of what has been happening plus some information on your system hardware and setup.

Sorry, apparently after I replied and attached it didn't post correctly and I was sitting here waiting to a notification. I  can still see it right below this message now.  Is it not showing for you?

deathstar-diagnostics-20190112-1546.zip

I already know there is a weakness in the small exhaust port... :)

Edited by jbrown705

I updated UD so remote shares (SMB/NFS) will mount properly when the array starts.  You no longer have to add the User Script to re-mount the devices to overcome the shares not mounting.

Someone that has this issue please let me know if it has been solved.  It worked fine on my test server.

Good afternoon all,

I'm running a virtualized UnRAID instance, running on ESX 6.7.   I've got UR booting off of a USB Flash drive, passed through to the VM.  I'm wanting to mount the VMDK so I can upgrade the system (currently running 6.5.3).  I've got a friend running a similar setup, and he uses UD to access the VMDK, however he's seeing his VMDK as an unassigned device, which he can mount/dismount at any time.

I however, do not have it as an option in UD.   I've verified that the system does see the drive, as it's appearing in System Devices as a SCSI device ([4:0:0:0]disk VMware Virtual disk 2.0 /dev/sdc 1.07GB), 

I'm thinking that I might have "hidden" that right after I got the system up and running, but not 100% sure.  Is there a way to unhide the VM disk, or force UA to see it so it can be mounted?

Thanks for the assistance!

1 hour ago, Pope Viper said:

I'm thinking that I might have "hidden" that right after I got the system up and running, but not 100% sure.  Is there a way to unhide the VM disk, or force UA to see it so it can be mounted?

There's no way to force UD to see a drive.  It will be recognized by UD if Linux sees it and assigns a /dev/sdX assignment.

Remove the UD plugin and see if it is recognized.

Ruining Unraid on ESX is not supported.

3 hours ago, Pope Viper said:

I'm running a virtualized UnRAID instance, running on ESX 6.7.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Ruining Unraid on ESX is not supported.

We usually let those people who want to try it that way provide support for each other over in the Virtualizing Unraid subforum:

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/46-virtualizing-unraid/

The Unraid forums are mostly about users helping users anyway, and that subforum is a subset of those users who are trying to do something that is "officially unsupported" by Limetech (the Unraid company).

3 hours ago, Pope Viper said:

I've got a friend running a similar setup

Maybe your friend could help.

I'm having an issue setting up an SMB share.

I have 2 unRaid systems. Adding an SMB Share in Server 1 from Server 2. The share on Server 2 is set to "Private" and the user is set to read/write. But when i set up the SMB share on Server 1 and put the user credentials, I cannot mount the share. I've tried both Private and Secure and it doesn't work. If i set it to public it mounts just fine.  Does UD not work with secure/private shares on another machine?

I spent quite a bit reading this thread and searched for "private" and "secure" and couldn't find any information to help.

1 hour ago, Kewjoe said:

I'm having an issue setting up an SMB share.

I have 2 unRaid systems. Adding an SMB Share in Server 1 from Server 2. The share on Server 2 is set to "Private" and the user is set to read/write. But when i set up the SMB share on Server 1 and put the user credentials, I cannot mount the share. I've tried both Private and Secure and it doesn't work. If i set it to public it mounts just fine.  Does UD not work with secure/private shares on another machine?

I spent quite a bit reading this thread and searched for "private" and "secure" and couldn't find any information to help.

Look at your log and see why it won't mount.  The remote share credentials shouldn't be a problem, but be sure you don't have any punctuation characters in the name or password - like ', ", $, parentheses, &, etc.  Keep the share name and password simple characters and numbers.  UD uses php, and a lot of characters are reserved and can't be used.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Look at your log and see why it won't mount.  The remote share credentials shouldn't be a problem, but be sure you don't have any punctuation characters in the name or password - like ', ", $, parentheses, &, etc.  Keep the share name and password simple characters and numbers.  UD uses php, and a lot of characters are reserved and can't be used.

It was the password :) i had a passphrase, i guess it didn't like the spaces. All good now. Thanks!

I've updated UD and changed the icons to built in font awesome icons.  I also reworked the edit script page and operation.  It never really worked the way I wanted.  For example, the run the script in the background switch defaults to on and is highlighted when it is on now.  The layout of the page is cleaner.

Let me know if there are any missing icons.  I'm pretty sure I got them all.

• Upvote 1

So when I hot plug/added new SAS drives to my server they would show up fine in Unassigned Devices, the power went out and the UPS didn't have enough power to keep the server up (I'm working in getting a better UPS).

After booting back up the SAS drives are not showing up in UD.

I pulled some of them and put them back in as their not assigned anywhere and found that only one of them are showing up now. Am I doing anything wrong?

server-diagnostics-20190121-1838.zip

Edited by AnnabellaRenee87
On 1/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, dlandon said:

I updated UD so remote shares (SMB/NFS) will mount properly when the array starts.  You no longer have to add the User Script to re-mount the devices to overcome the shares not mounting.

Someone that has this issue please let me know if it has been solved.  It worked fine on my test server.

I disabled the "At Startup of Array" schedule for the User Script you helped me with a month or so back, rebooted and the NFS share was mounted! :)  Thank you for correcting this particular issue, and all the time you put into UD.

Neil

39 minutes ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

So when I hot plug/added new SAS drives to my server they would show up fine in Unassigned Devices, the power went out and the UPS didn't have enough power to keep the server up (I'm working in getting a better UPS).

After booting back up the SAS drives are not showing up in UD.

I pulled some of them and put them back in as their not assigned anywhere and found that only one of them are showing up now. Am I doing anything wrong?

server-diagnostics-20190121-1838.zip

UD cannot recognize a drive unless Linux does.  You probably have drives, cables, or NIC issue.  Try each disk on a known working port to determine if it is the drive, cables, or or a NIC issue.

Just now, nmacle01 said:

I disabled the "At Startup of Array" schedule for the User Script you helped me with a month or so back, rebooted and the NFS share was mounted! :) Thank you for correcting this particular issue, and all the time you put into UD.

Neil

Thanks for letting me know it worked for you.

@dlandon Just thought I would point this out in case you haven’t seen it.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-670-rc1-available-r351/?do=findComment&comment=2650

I haven’t installed the RC so don’t know how much of an issue this is. Maybe just certain fs’s? Don’t know if you really even want to get into fixing the issue under the circumstances. Just thought I’d point it out since no one has posted about it here.

Edited by wgstarks
18 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

@dlandon Just thought I would point this out in case you haven’t seen it.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-670-rc1-available-r351/?do=findComment&comment=2650

I haven’t installed the RC so don’t know how much of an issue this is. Maybe just certain fs’s? Don’t know if you really even want to get into fixing the issue under the circumstances. Just thought I’d point it out since no one has posted about it here.

I doubt UD plugin has anything to do with the Dashboard page.

28 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Yes. That’s the one I was talking about. Just posted way too soon and linked to the wrong post.

😎😏😃

Thats my story anyway.

I was working on the used/free display because it was not showing the graphic correctly and ended up scaling the used/free space on the disk drives by *1024.  I've fixed that, but now I just realized that UD does not respect the used/free column setting in the Settings->Display Settings.  I've fixed that now.  I am finding issues with UD that have been there a very long time and fixing them.

• trurl pinned this topic