Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 4/22/2019 at 12:28 AM, trurl said:

For some things there are definitely other ways to do this, and perhaps some people are overlooking or are unaware of those other ways. For example, the plex application itself has the ability to access media over SMB, so there is no need to remote mount that media in Unraid. Possibly other applications have similar capability.

This was this post: What did you mean "the plex application itself has the ability to access media over SMB, so there is no need to remote mount that media in Unraid" how?

18 minutes ago, casperse said:

OK - Do anyone know if it's possible to do the SMB or NFS connect in the docker config using the Path option?

No

A ton a containers do not support SMB directly which means that you have to use the mount via unassigned devices.  There is no problems with doing this.

But, (caveat emptor), if the remote mount isn't on 24/7, but the container is on 24/7, then you may or may not run into trouble if the container cannot handle a mount going offline properly.  YMMV

15 hours ago, frodr said:

Hi.

The Server do not seem to recognise smb devices, not finding NAS or MBPro. Both are set up smb. What is the domain setting, Workgroup?

I be happy for any help.

Cheers,

Frode

Running 6.7

Screenshot 2019-05-19 at 21.52.44.png

Screenshot 2019-05-19 at 21.55.11.png

What happens when you click on the 'SEARCH FOR SERVERS' button?  Does it find your servers?

Domain is for a server on a Domain.  Typically a Windows server.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

What happens when you click on the 'SEARCH FOR SERVERS' button?  Does it find your servers?

Domain is for a server on a Domain.  Typically a Windows server.

The Search Button blinks, and nothing happens.

Edited by frodr
1 hour ago, frodr said:

It looks like you have a problem with your server IP address.  Be sure the server is available on the same sub-net and the shares are set for SMB sharing.  Only enter the IP address as '192.168.1.10'.  Nothing else.

You should be able to enter the IP address and then click 'Load Shares' and the list of shares will show.  If not, unRaid cannot see the server.

Edited by dlandon
7 minutes ago, Squid said:

You would know best, but on my logs, there's always a sharename listed on that line...

That's what is confusing to me.  I don't understand exactly what he is doing.  I believe he may be overthinking it and trying to do everything manually.

If he can't enter the IP address and get a share listing, his server is not being seen by unRaid.

16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That's what is confusing to me.  I don't understand exactly what he is doing.  I believe he may be overthinking it and trying to do everything manually.

If he can't enter the IP address and get a share listing, his server is not being seen by unRaid.

Hidden Shares?

But, looks like if you don't enter in a share name then UD doesn't do anything.

But, if you enter in a space for the share name, then the exact same logging takes place...

26 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I only have one subnet on my router. 192.168.1.10, as Qnap NAS, is set up smb/Workgroup, not AD. The Nas is fully available to other computers. With Goodsync I have made smb sync between the Nas and the unRaid server. 

After typing 192.168.1.10 only and push the "search for servers" button, nothing happens. Well, a small "blink", that's all. Adding user/pass and then push Load shares, no shares is visible. 

Please see attached video for how I do it. 

Router is restarted.

32 minutes ago, frodr said:

I only have one subnet on my router. 192.168.1.10, as Qnap NAS, is set up smb/Workgroup, not AD. The Nas is fully available to other computers. With Goodsync I have made smb sync between the Nas and the unRaid server. 

After typing 192.168.1.10 only and push the "search for servers" button, nothing happens. Well, a small "blink", that's all. Adding user/pass and then push Load shares, no shares is visible. 

Router is restarted.

You are not following the instructions you get. Type in the IP, then push load shares. Not find servers.

50 minutes ago, frodr said:

Router is restarted.

Screen Recording 2019-05-20 at 21.59.03.mov

You aren't filling in a share.  Leaving it empty will fail.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Hidden Shares?

But, looks like if you don't enter in a share name then UD doesn't do anything.

But, if you enter in a space for the share name, then the exact same logging takes place...

Hidden shares will show up in the list of shares.  It looks like the share name either not entered or blanks is not being handled very well.

EDIT: I stand corrected.  Hidden shares don't show.

Edited by dlandon
56 minutes ago, frodr said:

I don't know what Goodsync is.  Can you browse the shares with a Windows computer?  Do you have any Windows computers on your network?

24 minutes ago, saarg said:

You are not following the instructions you get. Type in the IP, then push load shares. Not find servers.

Actually, he did not do as I asked, but what he did should still work to display the shares.  When trying to mount a Windows computer share, you actually have to enter the login credentials or the shares won't be shown.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't know what Goodsync is.  Can you browse the shares with a Windows computer?  Do you have any Windows computers on your network?

Yes. Yes.

Pushing the "Load shares" button not shares are available, and not possible to type. Not pushing the "Load shares" button, instead typing the share name and then add without pushing "Load shares" is possible. Then pushed the button "Mount".  Then it the button shows "Mounting" and stays there until I move to another area of the Server. I then get a question from Safari if I want to store the password. Just ignoring that, going back to Main. And hola, now the share on the Nas is mounted.

So ignoring "Load servers" and "Load shares" buttons did the trick. A bit confusing I have to say. 

Thank you very much for the help. 

Cheers,

Frode

1 hour ago, frodr said:

Yes. Yes.

Pushing the "Load shares" button not shares are available, and not possible to type. Not pushing the "Load shares" button, instead typing the share name and then add without pushing "Load shares" is possible. Then pushed the button "Mount".  Then it the button shows "Mounting" and stays there until I move to another area of the Server. I then get a question from Safari if I want to store the password. Just ignoring that, going back to Main. And hola, now the share on the Nas is mounted.

So ignoring "Load servers" and "Load shares" buttons did the trick. A bit confusing I have to say. 

Thank you very much for the help. 

Cheers,

Frode

I'm going to make a few changes to make the dialog easier to use.

• trurl pinned this topic