Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

HI @FreeMan

5 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

I've wanted the "Oh, carp. I just realized I made changes and now I need to go back to an older version" version of backup.

I am by no means a wiz with Rsync, but I think the easiest way to accomplish this is to not use the 'delete' flag. Maybe only use that command/flag once every six months or so to do some housecleaning. Hope that sparks some thought.

Have a great weekend!

Hi!

Actually i can´t add new SMB Shares - existing ones are workin.

Is this an unRAID or problem of the plugin?

I´m running lates RC build and also latest plugin version.

When i try to add a SMB share nothing no server would be found and also adding one using a fix ip doesn´t seem to work...

2 hours ago, b0mb said:

Hi!

Actually i can´t add new SMB Shares - existing ones are workin.

Is this an unRAID or problem of the plugin?

I´m running lates RC build and also latest plugin version.

When i try to add a SMB share nothing no server would be found and also adding one using a fix ip doesn´t seem to work...

The samba commands to find SMB servers is not working in 6.8.  This is a Linux issue.  Entering a server name or ip address and then searching for shares is working.  Make sure the ip address you are using is reachable.

• Thanks 1

Hello @dlandon,

10 hours ago, dlandon said:

Did you have an unclean shutdown?  Doesn't look like it.

Yes and no.

'No' in so much as when I restarted I did not have to do a parity check 👏.

'Yes' in that the server did not actually shutdown, I had press the power button; this has never happened before.

The only reason this incomplete shutdown could be an issue is if I had a power outage, which is how this whole sub-thread got started.

Thoughts?

(Great job though! Thanks for the fixes!)

3 minutes ago, TechMed said:

Hello @dlandon,

Yes and no.

'No' in so much as when I restarted I did not have to do a parity check 👏.

'Yes' in that the server did not actually shutdown, I had press the power button; this has never happened before.

The only reason this incomplete shutdown could be an issue is if I had a power outage, which is how this whole sub-thread got started.

Thoughts?

(Great job though! Thanks for the fixes!)

You got a clean shutdown - i.e. the server shutdown properly and did not do a parity check when started back up.

Check your bios settings.  At the point it stopped, is when the bios takes over.

Try booting is safe mode and see if you get a complete reboot.  If you do then there is a plugin causing a problem.

I will do that.

Thanks again for taking the time to drill-down into all this.

I know for me, UD is becoming a greater necessity as I convinced some of my friends to cloud share their extra storage space.

So there are many that appreciate your work.

Take care and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

4 minutes ago, geonerdist said:

Thanks! I updated UD and have not seen it hang yet.

I don't think you will now.  You will notice a few things happen though you didn't see before.  If the remote server does not respond to a ping the 'Unmount' button will be greyed out.  You can't unmount a remote share if the server is offline.  If the server responds to a ping, but is not running, you should be able to unmount the remote share.

If the remote server goes offline when a remote share is mounted, none of the other mounts will show open files.  The biggest issue with hangs was with the lsof command that is used to check for open files.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, dlandon said:
33 minutes ago, Dimtar said:

The Unraid log Tools->System Log.

Dec  2 02:47:03 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Dec  2 02:47:03 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Dec  2 02:47:03 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.25.78/RalphBackup' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) 

This confuses me but I will check the permissions again.

6 minutes ago, Dimtar said:

Dec  2 02:47:03 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Dec  2 02:47:03 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Dec  2 02:47:03 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.25.78/RalphBackup' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) 

This confuses me but I will check the permissions again.

The remote SMB share needs user and password.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The remote SMB share needs user and password.

I re-did the mount but it didn't work. I deleted the user on the end SMB server and re-created them. It seems happy now, not sure what happened exactly as the user was enough to list the shares but I doubt this was the fault of the plugin.

Its all working, thanks for a great plugin.

Just now, Dimtar said:

I re-did the mount but it didn't work. I deleted the user on the end SMB server and re-created them. It seems happy now, not sure what happened exactly as the user was enough to list the shares but I doubt this was the fault of the plugin.

Its all working, thanks for a great plugin.

You have to be careful of using special characters in the user and password.  Maybe that was it.

Anyone else getting this error in bottom left corner next to the "Array Started" text?

Warning: unlink(/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials): No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1088

I'm getting it on two seperate Unraid servers. Started a couple days ago with an update and still happening.

unraid2-diagnostics-20191203-1235.zip

19 minutes ago, drawmonster said:

Anyone else getting this error in bottom left corner next to the "Array Started" text?

Warning: unlink(/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials): No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 1088

I'm getting it on two seperate Unraid servers. Started a couple days ago with an update and still happening.

unraid2-diagnostics-20191203-1235.zip 88.93 kB · 0 downloads

Fixed in next release.

• Like 1

Problem:

I've just recently swaped out an 8yr old drive with a new one. During the rebuild the old drive was listed under unassigned devices, so I attempted to mount the old drive to check the files. The old drive would not mount under unassigned devices due to the error below. It looks like linux attached/kept the old drive UUID to the new drive in my disk array while the unassigned devices also did the same. I only say that by looking at the serial number UUID list it seems linux or unraid for that matter has kept the old UUID to the new drive serial number. Given the permutations possible for UUID allocation this cant be a random match if unraid reassigned a new UUID to be the same.

SYSLOG ERROR LINE:

Dec 3 12:11:36 Planck unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdl1' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B0_WD-WMATV6728186'
Dec 3 12:11:36 Planck kernel: XFS (sdl1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID c3b9058b-ee4f-4f23-a056-8a03c96b1038 - can't mount
Dec 3 12:11:36 Planck unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdl1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B0_WD-WMATV6728186: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdl1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
Dec 3 12:11:36 Planck unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B0_WD-WMATV6728186' could not be mounted...

Looking at the Serial and UUID's as listed with terminal command "lsblk -o SERIAL,UUID" 

WD-WXC1A29EH7D2       c3b9058b-ee4f-4f23-a056-8a03c96b1038 (New drive added to array)

WD-WMATV6728186        c3b9058b-ee4f-4f23-a056-8a03c96b1038 (Old drive moved to unassigned devices)

Terminal command blkid shows linux kept the device mount point at sdd with the orignal UUID (didnt create new one and i guess why should it?)

/dev/sdd1: UUID="c3b9058b-ee4f-4f23-a056-8a03c96b1038" TYPE="xfs -----------This is the new drive serial WD-WXC1A29EH7D2 in the array and linux maintained the old UUID

/dev/sdl1: UUID="c3b9058b-ee4f-4f23-a056-8a03c96b1038" TYPE="xfs" -------------This is the old drive serial WD-WMATV6728186 moved to unassigned devices but UUID is same.

You would think at that the serial number should follow the same UUID and allocate a new UUID to new drives when added. Is this a potential bug with unassigned devices or unraid code?

Thanks.

• trurl pinned this topic