Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

Hmm, shows for me. You might need to refresh. Here's the direct link to where I posted it:

I've also uploaded it to Dropbox, if you're still having troubles:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q60375scvs8g42j/tower-diagnostics-20191219-1642.zip?dl=0

The mount command timed out after 60 seconds when trying to mount the device.  I'm quite surprised it takes that long.  Do the drives have to spin up when the Drobo is mounted?

The timeouts on commands are to keep UD from potentially hanging up.  I'm probably going to extend the time out on physical disk mounts.

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The mount command timed out after 60 seconds when trying to mount the device.  I'm quite surprised it takes that long.  Do the drives have to spin up when the Drobo is mounted?

The timeouts on commands are to keep UD from potentially hanging up.  I'm probably going to extend the time out on physical disk mounts.

It's strange that it's been working for over a year and then stopped suddenly with one the updates. Did you shorten the timeout period for mounting? Was that the only significant thing that changed that could have affected it? 

9 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

It's strange that it's been working for over a year and then stopped suddenly with one the updates. Did you shorten the timeout period for mounting? Was that the only significant thing that changed that could have affected it? 

The time outs were just recently added to all commands so UD would not get stuck.

34 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

Hmm, shows for me. You might need to refresh. Here's the direct link to where I posted it:

For future reference, you should not edit a previous post and expect anyone to notice your edit.

Make a new post for posting your diagnostics. Not only will they be easier to find, but the thread will show that there is new content for us to look at.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

For future reference, you should not edit a previous post and expect anyone to notice your edit.

Make a new post for posting your diagnostics. Not only will they be easier to find, but the thread will show that there is new content for us to look at.

Will do, thanks.

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

What I would expect.  Still not understanding your permission issues.

There seem to be some miscellaneous issues regarding catalina’s deprecation of smb1 for smb3 in documentation online.

That said, it started happening prior upgrading to 10.15

Purely making an educated guess... I think it has to do with samba 4.11 and macOS. If I have some time I may downgrade to 6.7.2 since the issue was absent until upgrading to 6.8

I appreciate you digging in on it... but it is log spam (and low priority) as near as I can tell since no functionally is compromised.

Happy Holiday

This popped up today:  so far only occurrence.

ec 20 02:24:54 nerdyRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: sends on sock 000000002eed1320 stuck for 15 seconds
Dec 20 02:24:54 nerdyRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: Error -11 sending data on socket to server
Dec 20 02:25:18 nerdyRAID kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000128 STATUS_FILE_CLOSED
Dec 20 02:25:18 nerdyRAID kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -9

I've released an update that will now set user to 'nobody' on all UD SMB shares.  This includes physical disks, remote shares, and iso mounts.  This may help with some permission issues that have come up.  The best I can tell, this won't create any problems with permissions as Unraid defaults to the user 'nobody'.

The mount physical disk time out has been increased to three minutes.

Lots of code cleanup.  A lot of the procedures were written some time ago, and I have just now spent time re-writing the code to standard coding practices.

For those of you using SSDs with UD, the 'discard' option is added to the mount command on file systems that support discard - xfs and btrfs.  This includes encrypted disks.  Reiserfs does not support discard.

On my LAN I have set NetBIOS off and WDS on on my main server and backup server.  I recommend doing this unless you have to have SMB1 for some older devices.  You probably need to look at updating or replacing devices that only use SMB1.  I have been noticing sometimes devices (including Unraid) cannot see another SMB device on the LAN.  A reboot of the device that cannot see another will correct the problem.  I'm also suspicious of the latest Windows 10 update (1909).  There have been times my laptop could not access the login to Unraid because the server name could not be found.  Again a quick reboot of the laptop fixes things.

I think Microsoft and the Samba development team are still sorting out SMB issues.  In the meantime, I'll do my best to keep up with fixing issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys I backed up all of my data to a single disc in order to free up my old raid system for transferring of the disk to me new unraid setup. Ive got everything working but I wanted to use unmount to mount the backup disc so I can transfer all data to the array then add the backup disc to the array. From what I am reading it should be possible. With unassigned device installed when I click mount on the backup disc nothing happens. It seems it cannot mount the drive. I cant seem to find any information on why this would occur. Any ideas from the community?

Edit: I see that there is an error stating that the disc is a linux raid device. Im guessing due to the face it came from my qnap server. Any way to mount this device? I can alway put it back in the qnap and transfer it but I believe that will take a very long time. 

Edited by DocHodges
3 minutes ago, DocHodges said:

Hey guys I backed up all of my data to a single disc in order to free up my old raid system for transferring of the disk to me new unraid setup. Ive got everything working but I wanted to use unmount to mount the backup disc so I can transfer all data to the array then add the backup disc to the array. From what I am reading it should be possible. With unassigned device installed when I click mount on the backup disc nothing happens. It seems it cannot mount the drive. I cant seem to find any information on why this would occur. Any ideas from the community?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

1 minute ago, DocHodges said:

I appreciate you taking the time to confirm my suspicions. I’m new to all this so I’m trying to limit questions until I’m 100% stuck. I’ll load the disk back into the Qnap and transfer it then load it in the array.

If you have another PC to use you could boot from a USB Linux distro, mount the image and then share it over your network for copying to the unRAID array. Or copy the data onto another disk that's formatted in a format that UD can use. Mounting it in the QNAP and transferring from there is probably just as simple though.

If you have another PC to use you could boot from a USB Linux distro, mount the image and then share it over your network for copying to the unRAID array. Or copy the data onto another disk that's formatted in a format that UD can use. Mounting it in the QNAP and transferring from there is probably just as simple though.

I’m so terribly unfamiliar with Linux that by the time I watched some you tube videos to get it transferring I would likely be 25% done just copying from the Qnap. I have the Qnap shared folder and the unraid shares on my main windows pc so plan to just copy and paste. But since it’s pushing over 4TB I was looking for a way to transfer without leaving my windows pc running.
  • trurl pinned this topic