Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

28 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Yes.  I can see people getting confused when they reboot after updating UD and don't have UD+ installed and wonder why certain things are now broken.

Rather than @pluginCop handling this via moderation of the online lists, I updated FCP to test for the various scenarios of one installed and not the other. 

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Rather than @pluginCop handling this via moderation of the online lists, I updated FCP to test for the various scenarios of one installed and not the other. 

Looks good.  Couple clarifications.  The exFAT is only for mounting large flash drives; I believe larger than 64GB.  Unraid natively supports FAT.  UD+ is also necessary for 'Destructive Mode' to work.

12 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Looks good.  Couple clarifications.  The exFAT is only for mounting large flash drives; I believe larger than 64GB.  Unraid natively supports FAT.  UD+ is also necessary for 'Destructive Mode' to work.

I gotta leave some work for you on the support threads ;) 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, JasonJoel said:

I am surprised parted was moved to plus... Seems like anyone that mounts drives will want to format one sooner or later (?).

Install UD+ and format the drives as necessary.  The feature has not been removed, it's just optional.  I never format drives on my main server.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ucliker said:

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with UD and UD+, I received a notification from Fix Common Problems to install UD+ so I did and now my unassigned SSD will not show up in shares anymore. It's mounted and the share button is on. Any input? The drive is NTFS if that helps.

UD+ shouldn't affect the ntfs disk at all.  Try removing UD+ and see if it changes anything.

Please post diagnostics.

Hi all,

strange thing happening on my unraid server:

Unraid version: 6.8.0 stable

Unassigned devices version: 2019.12.29a

My setup is as following:

Users: root, user1, user2

SMB settings:

[global]
access based share enum = yes
min protocol = SMB2
client min protocol = SMB2
client max protocol = SMB3
signing_required = no
include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
browsable = yes
valid users = user1, user2
write list = user1, user2

In unassigned devices settings both users user1 and user2 have read/write permissions. and SMB security is enabled.

The unassigned device disk is mounted and shared over SMB.

The client is a mac os Catalina 10.15.2 VM inside unraid.

Bug report:

1- Mount and share the unassigned device

2- Connect to the unraid server (tower) over SMB and login with user1 or user2: rootshare folder and the unassigned device are listed

3- Open the unassigned device folder: it's ok, user1 and user2 can browse, read and write files

4- Go back to tower, user1 or user2 is still logged in

5- Open the rootshare folder: folders/files on first level are listed, but user1 or user2 has no access permissions

This does not happen if:

1- Mount and share the unassigned device

2- Connect to the unraid server (tower) over SMB and login with user1 or user2: rootshare folder and the unassigned device are listed

3- Open the rootshare folder: it's ok, user1 or user2 can browse, read and write files

4- Go back to tower, user1 or user2 is still logged in

5- Open the unassigned device folder: it's ok, user1 and user2 can browse, read and write files

Are you able to replicate it or is it my problem?

Thanks

Edited by ghost82

Several things going on here.  Remove these lines from smb-extra.conf:

[global]
min protocol = SMB2
client min protocol = SMB2
client max protocol = SMB3

Go to Settings->SMB and disable NetBIOS.  It will do the same thing.

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
browseable = yes
valid users = user1, user2
write list = user1, user2

I don't know what you are trying to do here, but sharing the /mnt/user is not the thing to do.  This is probably conflicting with the array and UD share settings.

Go to Settings->Unassigned Devices and set up your SMB UD shares there.  Set up the array shares in the Shares tab.

The best practice is to not make any changes to smb-extra.conf.

Edited by dlandon
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

I don't know what you are trying to do here, but sharing the /mnt/user is not the thing to do.  This is probably conflicting with the array and UD share settings.

I was trying to share the "rootshare" parent folder, disabling single shares for appdata, domains, system and iso folders, so to list only the unassigned device and the rootshare folder.

However, by following your indications, i.e. deleting part of the global section, disabling netbios, enabling shares for isos and domains and deleting the rootshare config, there is no more the described issue.

Thanks

I'm running 6.6.7.  After running preclear, I am attempting to format a new 8TB drive.  I updated UD, installed UD Plus, and enabled Destructive Mode.  Clicked the red X, and entered Yes to remove the partition.  The log says that the partition is being removed, but it's not.  The red X comes back.

fdisk -l shows that the partition still exists.

Running parted returns "parted: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I tried removing UD and UD Plus, removing their plugin folders in flash/config/plugins, rebooting, and reinstalling.  Same result.

Any ideas?

tower7-diagnostics-20200107-0943-M.zip

29 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Any reason why you are not on the latest stable? Hard to troubleshoot if not on similar kernel.

Was waiting for a 6.8.1 stable that fixed the problem Settings-->VM Manager-->DIsable VM function does not work without stopping the array.  If an 6.8.1-RC seems stable, and it is the only way to fix the problem, I'll probably jump early.

Hello,

Had some very bizarre behavior when trying to use Unassigned Devices after the creation of the Plus addon. My 4TB exFAT drive mounted and was usable in Krusader without the addon, but I was having issues. If I'm understanding what the addon does, I'm surprised the drive even mounted in the first place. I'm guessing the "base" plugin updated automatically, and fix common problems hadn't caught it yet to mention the addon?

I was able to browse the exFAT drive in Krusader and start a Move process. However, it would get about 50GB in and freeze up. After a couple cancels and retries, Krusader crashed and I had to just reboot. Then the exFAT disks would no longer mount and I starting digging into UD to reinstall it, then noticed the addon.

I was on 6.5.3, installed the addon, and was still unable to mount. (Very likely due to it not occurring to me to reboot after installing the addon.) Anyway, after misreading the minimum requirements for the addon, I upgraded to 6.8.0. All anecdotal at this point, and those logs are long gone. Just thought I'd mention how this presented for me in case it comes up for anyone else. There's also every chance that I'm just bad at unraid and a complete fringe case... and/or that drive is coincidentally failing.

e.g.

Jan 9 00:01:17 Tower kernel: print_req_error: critical medium error, dev sdp, sector 4009728
Jan 9 00:01:17 Tower kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 500960, async page read
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x796
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower kernel: sd 19:0:0:0: [sdp] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower kernel: sd 19:0:0:0: [sdp] tag#0 Sense Key : 0x3 [current]
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower kernel: sd 19:0:0:0: [sdp] tag#0 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower kernel: sd 19:0:0:0: [sdp] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 00 00 3d 2f 00 00 00 00 08 00 00
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower kernel: print_req_error: critical medium error, dev sdp, sector 4009728
Jan 9 00:01:20 Tower kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 500960, async page read
Jan 9 00:17:18 Tower nginx: 2020/01/09 00:17:18 [error] 14636#14636: *9410 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.231, server: , request: "POST /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "192.168.1.38", referrer: "http://192.168.1.38/Main"

Disk sdp is the before mentioned 4TB drive. Not sure if it's the plugins not liking the format or the drive failing at this point. As the topic isn't lighting up with the issue, I'm guessing I'm fighting two things at once here and the plugins are fine. I'll have to look at the disk more in the morning.

As for the non-disk failure issue... Perhaps, if it's possible and/or worth the effort, consider having the base plugin throw a warning sign for disks that require the addon?

Thanks for your time/effort here and on the plugins.

edit: After looking at and repairing the filesystem on the drive, it appears to be fine. I believe my initial Move process using the partial UD plugin may have borked the file system on the drive during the delete part of the Move. Just guessing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Edited by scooterbaga
more info
15 hours ago, scooterbaga said:

I'm surprised the drive even mounted in the first place. I'm guessing the "base" plugin updated automatically, and fix common problems hadn't caught it yet to mention the addon?

The package for exFAT was moved to the UD+ plugin, but the previous UD had the package installation still included.  When UD updates, the packages are not removed, but left installed.  After a reboot the updated UD will not re-install the exFAT package.  You would have to then install UD+ to re-install the exFAT package.

An exFAT disk will not mount without the package from UD+ being installed.  It was probably the previous UD version that left the package installed.

This confusion added to what looks like a disk issue at the same time.

15 hours ago, scooterbaga said:

My 4TB exFAT drive

Why exFAT on a disk that size?

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Why exFAT on a disk that size?

I use exFAT for compatibility. I use this drive on Mac, Windows, and Unraid. I'm unaware of a better/easier method without installing/maintaining additional software if there is one.

Did you catch my edit regarding the drive seeming to be fine? I think attempting to read/write from the disk with the partial plugin damaged the filesystem. (Could still easily/purely be a drive issue though.)

• trurl pinned this topic