Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

19 hours ago, Ramiii said:

Tried again now , the USB Disk can be mounted successfully in a VM but not in Unraid OS 

Is the VM Windows or Linux?

Remove the preclear plugin and try.

EDIT: Also update UD and try.  I made a change to the mount.  It's possible that the disk actually mounted, even though it reported an error when mounting.  The change may help if this is the case.

Edited by dlandon

Hi there. I'm new to unRAID and I've just installed this plugin. I'm having issues with mounting a SMB share from my Windows 10 desktop. I use my Microsoft account instead of a local account on my PC. When I first attempted to "search for servers" I was able to find my desktop and sign in using my MS email/password. All disks...or shares...loaded up just fine in the drop down, but I was unable to add any. The windows just closed and the selected share was not in the UD list.

After a few minutes of digging I tried some things that were mentioned in this thread - I forced SMBv1, but had not luck. I then changed my MS account password to have no special characters, but still had no luck as shares on my desktop no longer loaded after entering the new password in UD. Lastly, I switched the setting to force SMBv1 back off, but I still can't load any of the shares on my desktop. I've seen repeated replies about removing a share and then trying to re-add after making changes such as forcing SMBv1 or removing special characters from the password. I'm assuming that is done in the terminal using some commands, but I don't know how to do that. 

Thanks in advance for any help here!

33 minutes ago, RS7588 said:

I've seen repeated replies about removing a share and then trying to re-add after making changes such as forcing SMBv1

Not necessary.  Removing and recreating SMB shares was needed when UD was updated to encrypt passwords.

33 minutes ago, RS7588 said:

or removing special characters from the password.

Yes.  If the password changes, you'll have to recreate the share.

If you entered the credentials correctly, then clicked the 'Load Shares' and they show up, then the credentials are correct.

For further help, post diagnostics.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Not necessary.  Removing and recreating SMB shares was needed when UD was updated to encrypt passwords.

Yes.  If the password changes, you'll have to recreate the share.

If you entered the credentials correctly, then clicked the 'Load Shares' and they show up, then the credentials are correct.

For further help, post diagnostics.

Hmm. Okay. Thanks for the speedy reply. I've restarted my desktop after the password change, but maybe I should restart my unRAID server as well. Gotta run to work, but I'll post diagnostics here in the mean time just in case there is something I'm missing. 

void-diagnostics-20200208-1304.zip

2 minutes ago, RS7588 said:

Hmm. Okay. Thanks for the speedy reply. I've restarted my desktop after the password change, but maybe I should restart my unRAID server as well. Gotta run to work, but I'll post diagnostics here in the mean time just in case there is something I'm missing. 

void-diagnostics-20200208-1304.zip 76.52 kB · 0 downloads

This is why:

Feb  8 11:24:37 void unassigned.devices: Share '//DESKTOP-944PM00/J$' contains a '$' character.#011It cannot be mounted.

You'll have to share the folder you want on the Windows Computer and then mount that folder.  The folder with the '$' in the name cannot be mounted.

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

This is why:

Feb  8 11:24:37 void unassigned.devices: Share '//DESKTOP-944PM00/J$' contains a '$' character.#011It cannot be mounted.

You'll have to share the folder you want on the Windows Computer and then mount that folder.  The folder with the '$' in the name cannot be mounted.

I've went ahead and shared all the folders in the desired drive, but UD still does not show any shares. I could see all the hard drives in my desktop computer listed under shares in UD prior to changing my password. New diag . . .

void-diagnostics-20200208-2258.zip

1 hour ago, RS7588 said:

I've went ahead and shared all the folders in the desired drive, but UD still does not show any shares. I could see all the hard drives in my desktop computer listed under shares in UD prior to changing my password. New diag . . .

void-diagnostics-20200208-2258.zip 68.57 kB · 0 downloads

If UD won't list the shares, it's a credentials problem.  Don't use special characters in your password.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

If UD won't list the shares, it's a credentials problem.  Don't use special characters in your password.

UPDATE: So manually typing the network path to the shares has worked for me instead of clicking the button to load available shares!

Edited by RS7588
6 hours ago, RS7588 said:

UPDATE: So manually typing the network path to the shares has worked for me instead of clicking the button to load available shares!

Please update UD and see if it will list your shares now.  You probably didn't see the list of shares because of the way UD was handling the credentials for the shares.  Using characters like ', ", and $ in the password can be troublesome in some cases because of the way php treats them.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Please update UD and see if it will list your shares now.  You probably didn't see the list of shares because of the way UD was handling the credentials for the shares.  Using characters like ', ", and $ in the password can be troublesome in some cases because of the way php treats them.

UD was up to date at the time.

Anyway, I have an update. Even though I was finally able to add a share to UD by manually entering it's path, I could not mount it! I had the idea to create another user on my desktop (local, NOT Microsoft account sign-in) and make sure it had access to the shares I wanted to access via my server. I used the credentials of that user in UD and I had no issues! All the shares on my desktop computer loaded up in UD after hitting the button and I was able to easily add/mount all of them.

I'm not exactly sure what was going on, but I have a hunch it has something with Microsoft account sign-in vs local user sign in on Windows 10. 

On 12/27/2019 at 6:29 AM, dlandon said:

All disks mounted by UD will have a spin down time set at 30 minutes,  This cannot be changed.

Is this going to be sticking around? I'm hitting a problem where I have a VM disk image on a drive that gets spun down, and while it is spun down and I try to start the VM I have problems... It's not the end of the world but it is a sort of inconvenience that I am hitting that causes me to have to forcefully shut down the machine once it's stuck and restart it.

The drive is a SSD and I don't really need this to be spun down, or any of the drives under the UD domain to be spun down... While trying to figure this out I was starting to assume that this was at least following the "Default spin down delay" setting in the Disk Settings of Unraid but now that I just found this post I'm supposing it's a hard 30 minute spin down...

53 minutes ago, AboveUnrefined said:

Is this going to be sticking around?

Yes.  It was never intended for UD to support VM disk images.  VM images should be on the cache or an array disk.  UD happens to handle mounting and supporting a VM image disk to a point.  Spin down control is fixed and disk monitoring is non-existent.

I know the arguments about how the cache and array don't do what you want right now.  Eventually Unraid will have multiple cache device capability that will let you do what you are doing with UD.

59 minutes ago, AboveUnrefined said:

I'm supposing it's a hard 30 minute spin down...

Yes, and I don't intend to change it.

Post a feature request for LT to add the multiple cache device capability.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:27 PM, dlandon said:

Yes.  It was never intended for UD to support VM disk images.  VM images should be on the cache or an array disk.  UD happens to handle mounting and supporting a VM image disk to a point.  Spin down control is fixed and disk monitoring is non-existent.

I know the arguments about how the cache and array don't do what you want right now.  Eventually Unraid will have multiple cache device capability that will let you do what you are doing with UD.

Yes, and I don't intend to change it.

Post a feature request for LT to add the multiple cache device capability.

Alright, thanks for your answer -- I'll likely restructure my array to have cache disks instead and put the VM images on those.

On 1/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, dlandon said:

There is a new version of UD available.  The changes are:

• Remove ext4 format.  Ext4 is not a format used in Unraid and is available in UD for file transfer purposes.  It is not recommended to use an ext4 disk for Unraid purposes such as VMs or Dockers.  Ext4 disks can still be mounted.
  • The 'Auto Mount' switch now defaults to off for physical disk devices.  This might affect existing disks you have that are still using the default setting.  Just go to UD and set the 'Auto Mount' switch on for any physical disks you want auto mounted.
  • Add a 'Pass Through' switch.  Set this switch to on for any disks you are passing through to a VM or Docker.  When this switch is set, UD will not allow a manual mount and will not attempt to auto mount the disk even if 'Auto Mount' is turned on.  UD will not monitor the disk temperature.

Anyone passing through a disk to a VM or Docker should go to UD and set the 'Pass Through' switch on.  With this switch set on, UD will not allow mounting the disk.  It is known that mounting a passed through disk with UD will corrupt the file system on the disk.

I just found this while trying to figure out why my UD drives I'm using for 2 different dockers didn't auto mount after restarting the array. I'm confused. Before I setup my emby and plex dockers, I first formatted and mounted the 2 UD drives. Then I setup the dockers and pointed the /config to the /mnt/usr/disks/mount-name. Did I do this wrong? I ask because my emby and plex dockers wouldn't start unless I manually mounted these drives. I do have pass-through ticked on as well as auto-mount.

Do I just leave pass through off?

Edited by lviperz
2 minutes ago, lviperz said:

I just found this while trying to figure out why my UD drives I'm using for 2 different dockers didn't auto mount after restarting the array. I'm confused. Before I setup my emby and plex dockers, I first formatted and mounted the 2 UD drives. Then I setup the dockers and pointed the /config to the /mnt/usr/disks/mount-name. Did I do this wrong? I ask because my emby and plex dockers wouldn't start unless I manually mounted these drives. I do have pass-through ticked on as well as auto-mount.

Turn off pass through and turn on auto mount.  If you want UD to mount the disk, you are not passing it through.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Turn off pass through and turn on auto mount.  If you want UD to mount the disk, you are not passing it through.

Ah, I think I understand now. I'm 2 weeks old in Unraid time. Thanks.

So if I'm understanding correctly, using pass through is only if I want to access the unmounted drive from within a container, not if I want to run the container from that drive.

So I'm having trouble trying to format a disk in UD. I DO have the UD+ plugin and destructive mode enabled. The drive is a NTFS drive from a windows server box that I replaced with Unraid. I have delted the partition and it seems to have worked as the drive shows 2tb free if i mount it. However, no matter what I do I cannot seem to get the option to format. When I delete the partition with the red x it just comes back wit the same name/serial as the drive itself. The disc log even says that it deleted it. But when I do UD refreshes and its still there with 0b so I never get the option to format the disk.

Any insight? This is the first time I've tried to do anything other than mount with UD since you split them into two plugins. I'm on Unraid 6.8.2

2 hours ago, neruve said:

So I'm having trouble trying to format a disk in UD. I DO have the UD+ plugin and destructive mode enabled. The drive is a NTFS drive from a windows server box that I replaced with Unraid. I have delted the partition and it seems to have worked as the drive shows 2tb free if i mount it. However, no matter what I do I cannot seem to get the option to format. When I delete the partition with the red x it just comes back wit the same name/serial as the drive itself. The disc log even says that it deleted it. But when I do UD refreshes and its still there with 0b so I never get the option to format the disk.

Any insight? This is the first time I've tried to do anything other than mount with UD since you split them into two plugins. I'm on Unraid 6.8.2

Post a screen shot and the diagnostics.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

When you hover your mouse over the 'X', what does it say?  Remove the preclear plugin and see if the partition can be removed.

When I hover over the 'x' it says "Remove Partition". 

But you nailed it! When I removed the preclear plugin it worked as expected and let me format the disk. Now the question is is the incompatibility on UD or preclear?

• trurl pinned this topic