Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, Kimbie said:

Hi

Thanks I had to remove all my connections and redo them, only thing found annoying was when readded put folders in upper case so had to change my docker assignments but working now

Thanks

The server name is converted to upper case just like Windows does.  The shares are mixed case.

10 hours ago, aidenpryde said:

Hello.

I just added a 500GB SATA SSD to UD, and cannot format it.  I turned Destructive mode on, and the only button available is Mount.  It does successfully mount, but I can't seem to format it as the Format button never shows up.

UD.thumb.PNG.fa0fa65f4bb57dd32b6d474ac291ffa0.PNG

I initially tried Preclearing it (I knew I should try that with SSDs, but I couldn't think of anything else to try).  I then thought it was because it has a bunch of Proxmox partitions on it, so I tried deleting those.  That didn't work, and after I did that it wouldn't even mount.

So then I pulled it from the server and hooked it up to another machine and formatted it NTFS, and that's where I'm at now.  I'd like to format it as XFS, but can't figure out how to do that.

It's an older generation drive, that supports TRIM, but not "Deterministic read" if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Any help on this?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, aidenpryde said:

Just found the command.

Open terminal > type: wipefs -af /dev/### (where ### is the ID of the drive as it appears in the GUI.

The format button then appears.

You don't have to do that.  Click on the X next to the partition to remove it.  Then you can reformat the drive.

On 2/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, dlandon said:

While that works, it's not recommended.  It's way too easy to make a mistake and clear the wrong drive.  Why bother with the GUI if you think the command prompt is better?

It was my only choice, as the GUI didn't work.  I know enough about command line to not select the wrong disk.  Unless you have another solution that didn't involve the GUI, I don't think that your solution is helpful because it would have meant the drive was useless to me (or anyone else for that matter), as again, the GUI didn't work.

Just now, aidenpryde said:

I know enough about command line to not select the wrong disk.

Many people make the mistake of not realizing that the drive "letter" isn't constant from one boot to another, so they can easily get /dev/sd? wrong by not checking which disk a particular identifier refers to. The drive letter is especially likely to change if you plug or unplug any disks.

Another thing that people who know about the command line might do is try to work directly with the sd device, when they really need to work with the md device. If you work directly with an sd device that is part of the parity array, you will invalidate parity.

2 hours ago, aidenpryde said:

It was my only choice, as the GUI didn't work.  I know enough about command line to not select the wrong disk.  Unless you have another solution that didn't involve the GUI, I don't think that your solution is helpful because it would have meant the drive was useless to me (or anyone else for that matter), as again, the GUI didn't work.

I believe it will work with preclear plugin removed.  There is a known issue in some circumstances.  If that doesn't solve it, we will pursue it until a solution is found.  The command line is a poor choice for dong things like removing disk partitions.  The Unraid GUI is made to be easy to use and will generally prevent things being done to lose data.

4 minutes ago, pappaq said:

Hello there, I can't get an external HFS+ drive to mount. It only says format. And I've got UD+ installed. Do I miss something? The HDD comes right out of an old iMac from 2008. Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.cf9de8fa1ee9715990cea57a1c897e85.png

Uninstall the preclear plugin.  Post dagnostics if the same thing happens.

10 minutes ago, pappaq said:

It's hard to help you when you are not keeping your server up to date:

Mar  1 04:30:01 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems Version 2020.02.06
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application booksonic has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application calibre has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application calibre-web has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application H265ize has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application habridge has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application MakeMKV has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application mariadb has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application nextcloud has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application openvpn-as has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application piwigo has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application plex has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:30:10 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Application Redis has an update available for it
Mar  1 04:32:22 dringenet-MS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker application tt-rss has moderator comments listed

Your UD is dated 1/13/20.  The latest is 2/9/20.

You also have an issue with the disk you are discussing here:

Mar  1 16:13:38 dringenet-MS kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdp] 61049646 4096-byte logical blocks: (250 GB/233 GiB)
Mar  1 16:13:38 dringenet-MS kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdp] Write Protect is off
Mar  1 16:13:38 dringenet-MS kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdp] Mode Sense: 2f 00 00 00
Mar  1 16:13:38 dringenet-MS kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdp] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Mar  1 16:13:38 dringenet-MS kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdp] Attached SCSI disk

It looks like it keeps going off-line and preclear rc.diskinfo has to refresh.

It's almost impossible to troubleshoot older versions of plugins.  The first rule of asking for help is to be sure your server is current with all up to date plugins.

Update all plugins and dockers and reboot your server.  See if the issue clears up.  If not post diagnostics again.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is a feature request/bug report or what. When I turn on destructive mode for UD+ then attempt to format my 5tb drive using NTFS, exFAT, or FAT32, it fails instantly. i checked into the issue and noticed that the format command used by UD+ uses MS-DOS MBR partition instead of letting you select MBR/GPT+. So my remedy was to open a webterminal, fdisk /dev/sd(#), create GPT+ partition and write. then refresh my screen and format. it keeps creating a MBR before the format, and does not allow for multi-partitioning in the format process to accommodate. however xfs, and btrfs work fine out of the box. I'm not sure if there is something I am missing or something I can do to help out, but I will be turning off destructive mode, format the drive on another box and reintroduce it to the UD+

51 minutes ago, cuutip said:

I am missing or something I can do to help out, but I will be turning off destructive mode, format the drive on another box and reintroduce it to the UD+

UD has limited format capabilities.  UD will not format multiple partitions.  The best answer is to do as you did and format it on another machine.

How do I install Unassigned Devices Plus, when I want to format the drive, when I turn on "Destructive Mode", I am prompted "Unassigned Devices Plus' plugin must be installed to enable Destructive Mode", but I do n’t know how to install or purchase Unassigned Devices Plus, I can't find a valid installation method, I hope to get your help, thank you.

20200304055339.thumb.png.3c630e827cf4d925f91c2d8c1bf81fb6.png

6 minutes ago, lhyily1314 said:

How do I install Unassigned Devices Plus, when I want to format the drive, when I turn on "Destructive Mode", I am prompted "Unassigned Devices Plus' plugin must be installed to enable Destructive Mode", but I do n’t know how to install or purchase Unassigned Devices Plus, I can't find a valid installation method, I hope to get your help, thank you.

844316373_InstallUD.thumb.png.7b0a6dc9591739d2e95b107080c08e48.png

Edited by dlandon
40 minutes ago, lhyily1314 said:

20200304055339.thumb.png.3c630e827cf4d925f91c2d8c1bf81fb6.png

Go to the Apps tab and search for it.

• trurl pinned this topic