dlandon

Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

3008 posts in this topic Last Reply

52 minutes ago, MothyTim said:

I thought, maybe wrongly, that it would cause problems if the drive is mounted and then used as a VM?

How are you using the drive as a VM?  If you're not using the extra partitions, delete them.

23 minutes ago, dlandon said:

How are you using the drive as a VM?  If you're not using the extra partitions, delete them.

The drive is a bare metal install of Windows 10 that I use as my Win 10 VM. I did it this way as I was having out of memory problems and so wanted to be able to boot directly into windows, I've now solved the out of memory issue (turned out to be a dodgy SATA card!!) but would like to retain the ability to boot straight into Windows for the occasional time that I need all the horsepower the machine can provide! The partition that I want to mount at boot is for the swap file, this really helped with the issues I was having so want to keep it!

So will it cause me issues if I just leave the whole drive mounted?

Cheers,

Tim

2 minutes ago, MothyTim said:

The drive is a bare metal install of Windows 10 that I use as my Win 10 VM. I did it this way as I was having out of memory problems and so wanted to be able to boot directly into windows, I've now solved the out of memory issue (turned out to be a dodgy SATA card!!) but would like to retain the ability to boot straight into Windows for the occasional time that I need all the horsepower the machine can provide! The partition that I want to mount at boot is for the swap file, this really helped with the issues I was having so want to keep it!

So will it cause me issues if I just leave the whole drive mounted?

Cheers,

Tim

No.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Why is this so much of a concern?  Just ignore the partitions you aren't interested in.

It's to avoid accidentally modifying the files on those partitions, especially for the EFI partition. There's no need for it or the main OS partition to be visible to the unRAID OS, but the data partition can be used for transferring documents, pictures, etc. I intend more to use my existing Win10 SSD in bare-metal mode, but have watched the @SpaceInvaderOne video illustrating how to use it as either bare metal or a VM. Obviously it's a minor issue, but it would be a nice addition. But since I'm now aware of the User Script option, I'll use it. No worries.

When mounting the array, this is displayed at the bottom panel:

Warning: Use of undefined constant luksKeyfile - assumed 'luksKeyfile' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/lib.php on line 584

Nothing serious, but should probably be updated soon :) 

Unraid 6.7.0 with current Unassigned plugin.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:45 PM, awilderaid said:

I haven't touched either server since posting this and tried to get the issue to reoccur and upload diagnostics. Everything now seems to be working perfectly, no stuttering, Emby's transcoding buffer stays between 2 and 3 minutes, UD shows accurate size/used/free information. My thought was that maybe SMB or NFS was giving up, and UD might have been involved. In any case, hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does I'll upload diagnostics as soon as. Cheers!

Hi all, this is a followup to my original post here of UD "dropping out" and showing 0B with my mellanox connectx-2 NICs. It's continued over the past few weeks intermittently. I've attached diagnostics from 3 occasions, the most recent being today, each set being downloaded a minute or so after Emby (or Plex) started stuttering and UD showed 0B.

highgarden-diagnostics-20190612-0152.zip highgarden-diagnostics-20190612-0703.zip highgarden-diagnostics-20190619-1529.zip