Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Quick Q.

I added the SMB shares using the "Add remote SMB share" because I wanted to copy files to UNRAID using some file manager and because I thought this was how I could share files to a Plex docker running on my new Unraid server?

But I just noticed that all the mounted shares are now showing up as shares on my network under Tower?

And reading the below info (Thanks)

Mount Points and Shares

There seems to ba a lot of confusion over a mount point vs. a share.  The mount point is where the device is mounted locally on Unraid.  A share makes the mount point available in Windows at '\\Tower' as a browseable folder.

It seems I might have done this wrong? or do I create them without mounting the SMB shares (Not wanting them available in Windows share \\Tower )

Sorry if I am complicating things ;-) love this plugin!

1 hour ago, casperse said:

Quick Q.

I added the SMB shares using the "Add remote SMB share" because I wanted to copy files to UNRAID using some file manager and because I thought this was how I could share files to a Plex docker running on my new Unraid server?

But I just noticed that all the mounted shares are now showing up as shares on my network under Tower?

And reading the below info (Thanks)

It seems I might have done this wrong? or do I create them without mounting the SMB shares (Not wanting them available in Windows share \\Tower )

Sorry if I am complicating things ;-) love this plugin!

Any SMB or NFS share will be shared locally as an Unraid share (show in \\Tower) based on the settings in the Settings->Unassigned Devices.  If you don't set up security there, then all shares will be shared public and any Windows computer can browse the shares.  Based on what you are telling me, you probably want to share them hidden.  That way they can't be browsed.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Any SMB or NFS share will be shared locally as an Unraid share (show in \\Tower) based on the settings in the Settings->Unassigned Devices.  If you don't set up security there, then all shares will be shared public and any Windows computer can browse the shares.  Based on what you are telling me, you probably want to share them hidden.  That way they can't be browsed.

YES! setting the UAD/SMB as hidden did exactly what I wanted! - I am new to Unraid and now on my 29 day trial, but looks like I have to go shopping for a Pro license! - Again many Thanks for clarifying! 

I am in the process of consolidating hardware & would like to move a RAID0 array into a VM with UD.  What I have been doing in the past to passthrough a disk is use disk-by-id in the KVM template and this works just fine, but is labeled as Red Hat VirtIO SCSI disk device by Windows 10.

If I create a RAID0 array with UD, can the array be passed through by using the root device ID?

If I pass through say 5 disks instead, will Win 10 Storage Spaces allow creating of an extended array with the QEMU emulated disks?

I'm trying to add an unassigned drive using a share from a Win10 machine on my network.

I go to "Add SMB/NFS Share", I choose "SMB' from the dropdown and it can see the PC in question, but it can't see any of the shares on the machine. I have the share(s) set to "everyone" so i shouldn't need username/password but even if I enter that info (same info I log into that Windows machine with) no shares display.

I read some other posts where the "finding" shares options doesn't work and that you should just manually type in the share which I've tried. It shows up in unassigned devices as "//myPC/G" but if I try to mount it, it doesn't succeed. Tried on 2 different PCs on my network with the same results.

The little light next to the Device in the first column is green though if that means anything...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I'm trying to add an unassigned drive using a share from a Win10 machine on my network.

I go to "Add SMB/NFS Share", I choose "SMB' from the dropdown and it can see the PC in question, but it can't see any of the shares on the machine.

Click on the 'Search for Servers' button, then select the server.  Then click on the 'Load Shares' button and you'll see the shares on that PC.

42 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I have the share(s) set to "everyone" so i shouldn't need username/password but even if I enter that info (same info I log into that Windows machine with) no shares display.

User and password are only needed to authenticate access to the share.  It is not necessary to show the shares on the PC.

43 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I read some other posts where the "finding" shares options doesn't work and that you should just manually type in the share which I've tried.

You shouldn't have to enter the share manually.  Works for me.  The ability for UD to see the shares on the PC depends on the Master Browser.  It might help to set Unraid as the Master Browser.  Settings->SMB->Workgroup Settings

44 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

It shows up in unassigned devices as "//myPC/G" but if I try to mount it, it doesn't succeed. Tried on 2 different PCs on my network with the same results.

Can't help unless you post your diagnostics.  Tools->Diagnostics.

33 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on the 'Search for Servers' button, then select the server.  Then click on the 'Load Shares' button and you'll see the shares on that PC.

User and password are only needed to authenticate access to the share.  It is not necessary to show the shares on the PC.

You shouldn't have to enter the share manually.  Works for me.  The ability for UD to see the shares on the PC depends on the Master Browser.  It might help to set Unraid as the Master Browser.  Settings->SMB->Workgroup Settings

Can't help unless you post your diagnostics.  Tools->Diagnostics.

I tried the "load shares" and it doesn't show any shares on any of the PCs on my network. It remains blank. 

I have the shares set on the PC in question as generic as possible - single letter, shared with "everyone"

unRaid is my master browser (Yoda head says so! :)) 

Diagnostics attached

shelbyville-diagnostics-20190212-1132.zip

Edited by jpotrz
39 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I tried the "load shares" and it doesn't show any shares on any of the PCs on my network. It remains blank. 

I have the shares set on the PC in question as generic as possible - single letter, shared with "everyone"

unRaid is my master browser (Yoda head says so! :)) 

Diagnostics attached

shelbyville-diagnostics-20190212-1132.zip

Here are your issues:

Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB3 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000072 STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -128
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -128
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB2 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000072 STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -128
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB2 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB1 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,,vers=1.0,username=xxx=******* '//HOMER/G' '/mnt/disks/HOMER_G'
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount of '//HOMER/G' failed. Error message: mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) 

I have no idea what the "Key has been revoked" means.  Possibly a Windows 10 permission issue?

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Here are your issues:

Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB3 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB2 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB2 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB1 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,,vers=1.0,username=xxx=******* '//HOMER/G' '/mnt/disks/HOMER_G'
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount of '//HOMER/G' failed. Error message: mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) 

I have no idea what the "Key has been revoked" means.  Possibly a Windows 10 permission issue?

Hmmm. Not sure what permissions would be needed. That snipet is from the manual entry I did. I'm guessing that would cause problems on it's own.

Obviously something is messed up as it's not populating the shares on /Homer when I hit the "load shares" button. 

I can access the shares from other Windows PCs no problem.

Edited by jpotrz
8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Is there an issue with the user login password?  Expired?

Well, it's shared with "Everyone" and I'm not prompted for any login/pass when I access those shares from another WinPC on the network. 

I thought the "Shares" should populate regardless of login/pass population in that window.

Where in the diagnostics did you see that error message? Where should I be looking as I test things?

15 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Is there an issue with the user login password?  Expired?

Hmmm I do log into all these machines with my Microsoft Account though. Don't see how that should matter too much though as I'd think the shares should still populate the drop down though - just wouldn't be able to access them if it was a login/pass problem?

24 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I thought the "Shares" should populate regardless of login/pass population in that window.

This list is more for convenience than for functionality.  Not showing the list would not necessarily keep the remote share from mounting.  Try this command and let me know the output.

/usr/bin/smbclient -g -L IP -U% 2>/dev/null

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

This list is more for convenience than for functionality.  Not showing the list would not necessarily keep the remote share from mounting.  Try this command and let me know the output.

/usr/bin/smbclient -g -L IP -U% 2>/dev/null

root@Shelbyville:~# /usr/bin/smbclient -g -L 192.168.1.64 -U% 2>/dev/null
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Are your Windows computers and Unraid on the same workgroup?  Can your Windows computers browse the Unraid shares?

Both are in "Workgroup"

I browse my unRaid shares all the time via Homer (the Win10 machine I'm trying to get this SMB share working with)

• trurl pinned this topic