Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Ok.  I did a little experiment.  I've never tried to mount a Windows share.  When mounting a Windows share, you have to enter the login user and password just to get it to list the shares and to mount the share.

Yeah.  One of my "Issues" with UD and SMB is that the order of the fields is wrong.  Before hitting load shares, I always had to go to the username / password fields below the button.  Couldn't be bothered to ask you to change the order.

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Ok.  I did a little experiment.  I've never tried to mount a Windows share.  When mounting a Windows share, you have to enter the login user and password just to get it to list the shares and to mount the share.

25 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Do you have password protected sharing turned off on the Windows computers?

I think it's a combo of these two items.

I tried another Windows machine on my network (coincidentally a Win10 VM running on my unRaid machine). Made sure password protected sharing was off (along with a few other settings in "Advanced Sharing Settings"), entered by Microsoft Username and Password and viola! There are the shares on my Win10 VM. 

I can't change the settings on the original Win10 machine right now (working remotely) but I'm guessing that it's a combination of both these problems. I will have to check when I get home. I will report back with my findings.

Well at least I know it wasn't ENTIRELY my fault - there appears to be a bug/confusion in UD itself. 

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Yeah.  One of my "Issues" with UD and SMB is that the order of the fields is wrong.  Before hitting load shares, I always had to go to the username / password fields below the button.  Couldn't be bothered to ask you to change the order.

I don't understand what you think is wrong with the order.  The user and password are above the load shares button.

2 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I think it's a combo of these two items.

I tried another Windows machine on my network (coincidentally a Win10 VM running on my unRaid machine). Made sure password protected sharing was off (along with a few other settings in "Advanced Sharing Settings"), entered by Microsoft Username and Password and viola! There are the shares on my Win10 VM. 

I can't change the settings on the original Win10 machine right now (working remotely) but I'm guessing that it's a combination of both these problems. I will have to check when I get home. I will report back with my findings.

Well at least I know it wasn't ENTIRELY my fault - there appears to be a bug/confusion in UD itself. 

Nobody said it was your fault.  I don't see any bug in UD.  The confusion is probably more on the part of Microsoft than UD.  They insist on the user and password just to be able to list the shares.  Linux computers don't have this restriction for listing the shares.  They do insist on credentials for authentication.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't understand what you think is wrong with the order.  The user and password are above the load shares button.

Too late to delete my post then, eh?  Did that change semi-recently then?  I swear it was different before, and had to TV into network to verify

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Nobody said it was your fault.  I don't see any bug in UD.  The confusion is probably more on the part of Microsoft than UD.  They insist on the user and password just to be able to list the shares.  Linux computers don't have this restriction for listing the shares.  They do insist on credentials for authentication.

"bug" was a bad choice of words. 

Regardless, I will try it when I get home and we'll see it works.

Well, I turned off password sharing on the PC in question and it worked... sorta. After entering username/password I can see the shares on the PC in question and it will add them as an unassigned device, but I can not mount it. :(

Edit: never mind. I turned off forcing SMB1 and it seems to be working now. We have a winner!

THANK YOU for all the help and hand holding. unRaid has an incredible community!

Edited by jpotrz

First of all, great plugin, just being able to manage new drives and start preclear from the main tab is priceless for me!

This is a feature request, would it be possible to hide specific drives from the list?

I use as a flash and SD card in a SD reader, the reader has two slots, but I never use the second one. It still appears in the devices list (despite not having an sd card inserted)

2019-02-13 15_03_50-gaia_Main.png

16 minutes ago, dheg said:

This is a feature request, would it be possible to hide specific drives from the list?

I'd quite like this too, but for completely lazy reasons.  I don't have any dummy drives in my server's hotswap bays, so to keep the airflow normal I have old drives in there that I manually spin down on boot (don't know whether this is bad practise).

(whilst typing this, I just thought of the hdparm -Y option, which will take the drive out of the system altogether, yes?)

Just wanted to chime in again and say that I now have my SMB share(s) mounted and recognized perfectly. Updated some scripts to recognize them and all seems to be working properly.

Thanks for an absolute KILLER plugin for unRaid. This increases it's value a to me a TON. 

My only request (and this is a completely OCD type thing) is that in the main tab gui, if all the used/free space bars could line up with those in the actual unRaid pool, it would look so much cleaner and less "confusing". Obviously a SUPER minor item but figured I'd throw it out there.

Once again, thanks for a great plugin AND for all the help!

4 hours ago, jpotrz said:

My only request (and this is a completely OCD type thing) is that in the main tab gui, if all the used/free space bars could line up with those in the actual unRaid pool, it would look so much cleaner and less "confusing". Obviously a SUPER minor item but figured I'd throw it out there.

Hard to do with all the differing information.

Hello!

Been running UD for a while. Just updated to the last version, and for some weird reason, all i can see in the UD section is the Unraid loading animation. Same when I hit on the plugin icon in Plugins. Anyone else has that issue? Should I just completely restart Unraid?

T

logs:

Feb 13 21:04:02 NoodleNet php-fpm[10142]: [WARNING] [pool www] server reached max_children setting (20), consider raising it
Feb 13 21:10:53 NoodleNet nginx: 2019/02/13 21:10:53 [error] 10212#10212: *994825 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.229, server: , request: "POST /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "192.168.1.20", referrer: "http://192.168.1.20/Main"

load is around 20, which is super bad.

second edit:

since the load was terrible, I rebooted it all. seems to be back to normal.

Edited by TeeNoodle
added logs

Hi,

Starting to move my vm's to an unassigned disk.. Now I know it's possible but i got some questions

1. Is it possible to rename how the disks are mounted?
    E.g. /mnt/disks/Hitachi_HDS721032CLA362_JPB470HB18RZ3D is a ridiculously long and meaningless name. My test desktop will be at /mnt/disks/Hitachi_HDS721032CLA362_JPB470HB18RZ3D/domains/UbuntuDesk01/vdisk1.img for instance... I rather have it something like /mnt/disks/SLOT4_320GB/domains/UbuntuDesk01/vdisk1.img

2. About sharing. If all I do on those disks is hosting vm's then I do not need to share it right - that is only for nfs/cifs/smb?
    • And if I share can I share it the same way as unraids user shares (set R/W access to a unraid user?)

3. If I need to stop/powerdown/reboot the array. Will the vm's be shutdown gracefully like if they were on an array disk - like they do now?

Edited by sjoerd
17 minutes ago, sjoerd said:

Is it possible to rename how the disks are mounted?

Click the + by the device ID and hover your mouse over the mount point.

20 minutes ago, sjoerd said:

About sharing. If all I do on those disks is hosting vm's then I do not need to share it right

Only if you want to browse it.

21 minutes ago, sjoerd said:

And if I share can I share it the same way as unraids user shares (set R/W access to a unraid user?)

Go to Settings->Unassigned Devices and set the SMB security.

22 minutes ago, sjoerd said:

If I need to stop/powerdown/reboot the array. Will the vm's be shutdown gracefully like if they were on a array disk - like they do now?

Yes.  VMs will shutdown before UD unmounts the disk.

• Upvote 1

Hello, sorry for my english I need google :(

My problem, there are missing drives in the settings. Here as an example Sleep.

This is what my array looks like

FK819nY.png

that is the view in the plugin Unassigned Devices:

v0xAFvJ.png

and here are the hard drives to choose from:

K0WqAGJ.png

why are not all hard drives available for selection here?

I ask for help.

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, nebosa said:

Hello, sorry for my english I need google :(

My problem, there are missing drives in the settings. Here as an example Sleep.

This is what my array looks like

FK819nY.png

that is the view in the plugin Unassigned Devices:

v0xAFvJ.png

and here are the hard drives to choose from:

K0WqAGJ.png

why are not all hard drives available for selection here?

I ask for help.

Many Thanks

That appears to be an issue with the sleep plugin.  Ud sees the drives just fine.

Hey all, 

I'm using shares between two unraid servers, each one can see shares from eachother in unassigned devices. If I reboot one server, I run into issues with the shares not re mounting. I'm thinking about writing a script to re-mount the shares when they become available, possibly through userscripts to mount the shares on the opposite server upon array start. I have persistent keys setup between the two servers as well. 

Thanks in advance! 

• trurl pinned this topic