Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hi, sorry and thanks for clarifying, I had read that bit when I was trying to work this out myself. So I added the default script hoping that it would fix the problem but unfortunately, it didn't! Thought I'd deleted it but it was still there just empty, have now deleted it by clicking the red cross. Still have the same problem though, drive spins up when accessing Main page?

Cheers,

Tim

1 hour ago, MothyTim said:

Hi, sorry and thanks for clarifying, I had read that bit when I was trying to work this out myself. So I added the default script hoping that it would fix the problem but unfortunately, it didn't! Thought I'd deleted it but it was still there just empty, have now deleted it by clicking the red cross. Still have the same problem though, drive spins up when accessing Main page?

Cheers,

Tim

Update UD and see if it helps.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Show me a screen shot of UD and tell me which disk is the problem.

Hi, screenshot attached. There is only one disk now as moved the other to the array, as you'll see it has 2 partitions. 1 partition is used in Ubuntu VM and the other in Windows 10 VM.

Cheers,

Tim

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 14.40.09.png

Hello, 

I have been using this plugin for a few months now without much issue, but today I made a few changes in my network that seem to have broken a few things. My current setup is my my unraid server is basically just to run VMs and dockers. My main storage is a QNAP server. I have been using Unassigned Devices to map my network shares to my dockers. The change I made today was to make my QNAP an domain controller. This change makes it so a domain account is required to access a share. I have configured all of that, but it appears that I can't connect to the shares with Unassigned Devices now. I am using SMB to connect and adding the domain to the front of the user. All my Windows machines seem to be working fine connecting. below is the log I get from unraid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 13 19:05:40 ArlongPark unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//192.168.0.225/Books' using SMB3 protocol.
Mar 13 19:05:40 ArlongPark kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Mar 13 19:05:40 ArlongPark kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Mar 13 19:05:40 ArlongPark kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Mar 13 19:05:40 ArlongPark unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,,vers=3.0,username=zaraki1311.com\UnRAID,password=******* '//192.168.0.225/Books' '/mnt/disks/192.168.0.225_Books'
Mar 13 19:05:40 ArlongPark unassigned.devices: Mount of '//192.168.0.225/Books' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) 

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

What disk is spinning up, and how do you know which one it is?

sdk is spinning up. I know it's this one as it spins up no matter what the array is doing! I the following screenshots you'll see that the array is actually spun down and so is the sdk drive, I access Main page and here a drive spin up, go back to the Dashboard and the only change is sdk. :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 14.32.23.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 14.33.17.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 14.34.01.png

sdk is spinning up. I know it's this one as it spins up no matter what the array is doing! I the following screenshots you'll see that the array is actually spun down and so is the sdk drive, I access Main page and here a drive spin up, go back to the Dashboard and the only change is sdk. :)

I'm not sure it is UD doing that.  Remove the UD plugin and see if the drive spins up.

11 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Be sure you are on rc5.  There were disk spin up issues on earlier rcs.

Edited by dlandon

Hi to all!
I'm a new member and user of Unraid and UD and am so far impressed with the capabilities they offer!
It's great to see such a helpful community and hope that someone can help.

To be honest, i'm a bit overwhelmed and am struggling with possibly a simple configuration.

I have a HP P400 Smart Array Card and am running each drive in a seperate RAID 0 so that it is managed by Unraid.

However, UD only shows the first part of the device name eg. some of the devices full names are: LOGICAL_VOLUME_PAFGL0P9SWY149_3600508b1001050395357593134390009

LOGICAL_VOLUME_PAFGL0P9SWY149_3600508b1001050395357593134390008

(Only the last digit is different)
But UD only shows them as: LOGICAL_VOLUME_PAFGL0P9SWY149

When mounting more than 1 device with UD, only the first is mounted and all drives with the name LOGICAL_VOLUME_PAFGL0P9SWY149 are fixed to a single mountpoint and others show 0 size.

If I try to change mount point on any drive then it effects all drives connected to the card which haven't been added to the Unraid array.

Since I have an 8 port card, this is obviously going to cause some problems.

This does not effect the data and cache drives (Which are on the same controller) that I have already added to the array and these show the full name (Not the short one) which is why I beleive it to be a UD setting.

It seems that the short name is what is causing the issue that it wont differentiate between them when mounted.

Is there a way to force full name recognition or another work around?!

I have tried searching for my problem but haven't found any similar problem.

Thanks to all of you in advance!

Edited by Deano309
clarification
13 minutes ago, Deano309 said:

I have a HP P400 Smart Array Card and am running the drives in a RAID 0 so that it is managed by Unraid.

As you have found out UNraid doesn't work well (or at all) with RAID cards. You need to use a controller that can pass the drive through unmolested, HBA mode.

Yes, it does spin up the drive! I assume you intended me to change the X to the actual drive letter?

That is the command to tell it to sleep after 30 minutes.  The problem is the disk spins up with that command.  It really shouldn't spin up if it is given a sleep command.  I'm not sure what I can do at this point.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

As you have found out UNraid doesn't work well (or at all) with RAID cards. You need to use a controller that can pass the drive through unmolested, HBA mode.

Unraid works fine and I have no problems with the drives within the array at all, since each drive is in it's own RAID0, I beleive it is referered to as JBOD?!

But everything points to UD which seems to have the problem of multiple devices on the same card being mounted at the same time.

The P400 doesn't have a HBA mode and I do agree that a HBA is better but my budget means I have to use what I have already got at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Deano309 said:

Unraid works fine and I have no problems with the drives within the array at all,

Until there is an undetected issue that causes data loss. The RAID controller doesn't pass smart info in the standard way, so unraid will be unable to warn you of possible impending drive failure. When you do have a drive failure (all drives eventually fail) your recovery is going to be complicated by the custom numbers assigned to your RAID0 array members. You must be extra vigilant to keep track of which serial number drive is assigned to a specific slot, and keep those slot allocations the same so unraid can do its recovery magic. Normally that information is passed through, and unraid takes care of all that automatically.

TL;DR Unraid can be forced to work with RAID controllers, but it's not ideal, and can put your data at risk.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Until there is an undetected issue that causes data loss. The RAID controller doesn't pass smart info in the standard way, so unraid will be unable to warn you of possible impending drive failure. When you do have a drive failure (all drives eventually fail) your recovery is going to be complicated by the custom numbers assigned to your RAID0 array members. You must be extra vigilant to keep track of which serial number drive is assigned to a specific slot, and keep those slot allocations the same so unraid can do its recovery magic. Normally that information is passed through, and unraid takes care of all that automatically.

TL;DR Unraid can be forced to work with RAID controllers, but it's not ideal, and can put your data at risk.

Yes, I noticed I was missing my SMART data and wondered how hard it would be to recover in the event of a failure!

I do intend to replace my card but at the moment I am unsure of connection names & compatibility with drive backplate so I only need it to last a couple of months until I can afford to swap out.

However, at the moment all my drives are fine (I already checked prior to removal from previous systems) and I need to try to configure UD to allow multiple devices so I can reorganise files.

2 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Yes, it does spin up the drive! I assume you intended me to change the X to the actual drive letter?

That code is only executed when the disk is mounted or unmounted, so I don't think that is it.  I don't see anything that could spin up a drive.

So to follow up on my query, checking lsblk -f it shows me that the UUID of each drive is different but the mount points are the same leaving additional drives unable to be accessed.

So is it possible for UD to mount devices by the long name that Unraid shows or preferably UUID?

Is it possible for me to change this?

For my purpose, this would be a better implementation rather then trunctuated naming.

29 minutes ago, Deano309 said:

So to follow up on my query, checking lsblk -f it shows me that the UUID of each drive is different but the mount points are the same leaving additional drives unable to be accessed.

So is it possible for UD to mount devices by the long name that Unraid shows or preferably UUID?

Is it possible for me to change this?

For my purpose, this would be a better implementation rather then trunctuated naming.

You can set the mount point names.

• trurl pinned this topic