Jump to content
dlandon

Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives Outside of The unRAID Array

2617 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I am using UD to mount and share a 4TB external drive on my server. I am trying to rsync files from my array to the drive. Here is the command to initiate the transfer:

rsync -av /mnt/user/Photography/2005/ /mnt/disks/EasyStore_4/2005/

 

When the rsync finishes it displays the following message:

rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1189) [sender=3.1.3]

The all are of the following type:

rsync: chown "/mnt/disks/EasyStore_4/2005/12-25-2005/.12-25-05(2).JPG.nkTWa8" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

 

I compared the source and destination paths after the operation and it looks like all the files were transferred - the count of files and folders along with total size are all equal. I searched and found a post where the discussion was about how the volume being written to was mounted and the root user wouldn't have permission to set ownership on a that volume. The suggested remedy was to run rsync -rltgoDv instead of the -a option. Would this correct my issue or is there a better way to correct this so I can run rsync without any errors. Having any error at the end of an rsync is not what I'd prefer to have.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, wsume99 said:

The suggested remedy was to run rsync -rltgoDv instead of the -a option. Would this correct my issue or is there a better way to correct this so I can run rsync without any errors. Having any error at the end of an rsync is not what I'd prefer to have.

That's likely the best way, you can also keep -a and just add the --no-perms flag, e.g.: rsync -av --no-perms etc

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having and issue with UA.  It seems to work fine for a bit then locks up and maxes out a few of my cores but never actually loads.  I have a left over WD MyBook attached via USB.  I leave it go and after a day or so and it seems to get stuck trying to mount the drive.  As soon as i unplug it the cpu usage drop and the UA network mounted locations pop up.  I'm not seeing anything in the SMART reports for the drive to indicate it is failing.  Any thoughts from anyone on how to troubleshoot?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, jbrown705 said:

I'm having and issue with UA.  It seems to work fine for a bit then locks up and maxes out a few of my cores but never actually loads.  I have a left over WD MyBook attached via USB.  I leave it go and after a day or so and it seems to get stuck trying to mount the drive.  As soon as i unplug it the cpu usage drop and the UA network mounted locations pop up.  I'm not seeing anything in the SMART reports for the drive to indicate it is failing.  Any thoughts from anyone on how to troubleshoot?

 

Thanks!

Please post your diagnostics.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, dlandon said:

Please post your diagnostics.

I'm sorry, I am not sure which one you need (and possibly how to get it).  Did you want the main log file from the log tab or something else?  Do you need it when the the issue is actually happening?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Diagnostics are a ZIP file obtained via Tools->Diagnostics (or by using the ‘diagnostics’ command from a terminal session). 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jbrown705 said:

I'm sorry, I am not sure which one you need (and possibly how to get it).  Did you want the main log file from the log tab or something else?  Do you need it when the the issue is actually happening?

 

Thanks!

The diagnostics will have the history of what has been happening plus some information on your system hardware and setup.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2019 at 6:37 PM, dlandon said:

The diagnostics will have the history of what has been happening plus some information on your system hardware and setup.

Sorry, apparently after I replied and attached it didn't post correctly and I was sitting here waiting to a notification. I  can still see it right below this message now.  Is it not showing for you?

 

deathstar-diagnostics-20190112-1546.zip

 

I already know there is a weakness in the small exhaust port... :)

 

Edited by jbrown705

Share this post


Link to post

I updated UD so remote shares (SMB/NFS) will mount properly when the array starts.  You no longer have to add the User Script to re-mount the devices to overcome the shares not mounting.

 

Someone that has this issue please let me know if it has been solved.  It worked fine on my test server.

Share this post


Link to post

Good afternoon all,

 

      I'm running a virtualized UnRAID instance, running on ESX 6.7.   I've got UR booting off of a USB Flash drive, passed through to the VM.  I'm wanting to mount the VMDK so I can upgrade the system (currently running 6.5.3).  I've got a friend running a similar setup, and he uses UD to access the VMDK, however he's seeing his VMDK as an unassigned device, which he can mount/dismount at any time.

 

    I however, do not have it as an option in UD.   I've verified that the system does see the drive, as it's appearing in System Devices as a SCSI device ([4:0:0:0]disk VMware Virtual disk 2.0 /dev/sdc 1.07GB), 

 

  I'm thinking that I might have "hidden" that right after I got the system up and running, but not 100% sure.  Is there a way to unhide the VM disk, or force UA to see it so it can be mounted?

 

  Thanks for the assistance!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pope Viper said:

I'm thinking that I might have "hidden" that right after I got the system up and running, but not 100% sure.  Is there a way to unhide the VM disk, or force UA to see it so it can be mounted?

There's no way to force UD to see a drive.  It will be recognized by UD if Linux sees it and assigns a /dev/sdX assignment.

 

Remove the UD plugin and see if it is recognized.

 

Ruining Unraid on ESX is not supported.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pope Viper said:

I'm running a virtualized UnRAID instance, running on ESX 6.7.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Ruining Unraid on ESX is not supported.

We usually let those people who want to try it that way provide support for each other over in the Virtualizing Unraid subforum:

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/46-virtualizing-unraid/

The Unraid forums are mostly about users helping users anyway, and that subforum is a subset of those users who are trying to do something that is "officially unsupported" by Limetech (the Unraid company).

3 hours ago, Pope Viper said:

I've got a friend running a similar setup

Maybe your friend could help.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having an issue setting up an SMB share.

 

I have 2 unRaid systems. Adding an SMB Share in Server 1 from Server 2. The share on Server 2 is set to "Private" and the user is set to read/write. But when i set up the SMB share on Server 1 and put the user credentials, I cannot mount the share. I've tried both Private and Secure and it doesn't work. If i set it to public it mounts just fine.  Does UD not work with secure/private shares on another machine?

 

I spent quite a bit reading this thread and searched for "private" and "secure" and couldn't find any information to help.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kewjoe said:

I'm having an issue setting up an SMB share.

 

I have 2 unRaid systems. Adding an SMB Share in Server 1 from Server 2. The share on Server 2 is set to "Private" and the user is set to read/write. But when i set up the SMB share on Server 1 and put the user credentials, I cannot mount the share. I've tried both Private and Secure and it doesn't work. If i set it to public it mounts just fine.  Does UD not work with secure/private shares on another machine?

 

I spent quite a bit reading this thread and searched for "private" and "secure" and couldn't find any information to help.

Look at your log and see why it won't mount.  The remote share credentials shouldn't be a problem, but be sure you don't have any punctuation characters in the name or password - like ', ", $, parentheses, &, etc.  Keep the share name and password simple characters and numbers.  UD uses php, and a lot of characters are reserved and can't be used.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Look at your log and see why it won't mount.  The remote share credentials shouldn't be a problem, but be sure you don't have any punctuation characters in the name or password - like ', ", $, parentheses, &, etc.  Keep the share name and password simple characters and numbers.  UD uses php, and a lot of characters are reserved and can't be used.

It was the password :) i had a passphrase, i guess it didn't like the spaces. All good now. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

I've updated UD and changed the icons to built in font awesome icons.  I also reworked the edit script page and operation.  It never really worked the way I wanted.  For example, the run the script in the background switch defaults to on and is highlighted when it is on now.  The layout of the page is cleaner.

 

Let me know if there are any missing icons.  I'm pretty sure I got them all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

So when I hot plug/added new SAS drives to my server they would show up fine in Unassigned Devices, the power went out and the UPS didn't have enough power to keep the server up (I'm working in getting a better UPS).

After booting back up the SAS drives are not showing up in UD.

I pulled some of them and put them back in as their not assigned anywhere and found that only one of them are showing up now. Am I doing anything wrong?

server-diagnostics-20190121-1838.zip

Edited by AnnabellaRenee87

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, dlandon said:

I updated UD so remote shares (SMB/NFS) will mount properly when the array starts.  You no longer have to add the User Script to re-mount the devices to overcome the shares not mounting.

 

Someone that has this issue please let me know if it has been solved.  It worked fine on my test server.

I disabled the "At Startup of Array" schedule for the User Script you helped me with a month or so back, rebooted and the NFS share was mounted! :)  Thank you for correcting this particular issue, and all the time you put into UD.

 

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

So when I hot plug/added new SAS drives to my server they would show up fine in Unassigned Devices, the power went out and the UPS didn't have enough power to keep the server up (I'm working in getting a better UPS).

After booting back up the SAS drives are not showing up in UD.

I pulled some of them and put them back in as their not assigned anywhere and found that only one of them are showing up now. Am I doing anything wrong?

server-diagnostics-20190121-1838.zip

UD cannot recognize a drive unless Linux does.  You probably have drives, cables, or NIC issue.  Try each disk on a known working port to determine if it is the drive, cables, or or a NIC issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, nmacle01 said:

I disabled the "At Startup of Array" schedule for the User Script you helped me with a month or so back, rebooted and the NFS share was mounted! :) Thank you for correcting this particular issue, and all the time you put into UD.

 

Neil

Thanks for letting me know it worked for you.

Share this post


Link to post

@dlandon Just thought I would point this out in case you haven’t seen it.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-670-rc1-available-r351/?do=findComment&comment=2650

 

I haven’t installed the RC so don’t know how much of an issue this is. Maybe just certain fs’s? Don’t know if you really even want to get into fixing the issue under the circumstances. Just thought I’d point it out since no one has posted about it here.

Edited by wgstarks

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

@dlandon Just thought I would point this out in case you haven’t seen it.

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-670-rc1-available-r351/?do=findComment&comment=2650

 

I haven’t installed the RC so don’t know how much of an issue this is. Maybe just certain fs’s? Don’t know if you really even want to get into fixing the issue under the circumstances. Just thought I’d point it out since no one has posted about it here.

I doubt UD plugin has anything to do with the Dashboard page.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, trurl said:

I doubt UD plugin has anything to do with the Dashboard page.

Correct. UD is not involved in the Dashboard page.

Share this post


Link to post

This one does look like it might be a UD plugin problem though:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, trurl said:

This one does look like it might be a UD plugin problem though:

 

 

It is.  A mistake on my part.  Fixed in the next release.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now