dlandon

Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives Outside of The Unraid Array

2705 posts in this topic Last Reply

So its Ping? The server is online if I write the //192.168.0.... it connects

So maybe some special FW rule to allow ping (Is this normal SMB configuration I dont have any setup like this on my other servers?)

Any way not sure what to do next, maybee its a network issue not sure Unify allows network ping by default

Again Thanks for your quick reply!

47 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your server appears off-line to UD.  The server has to respond to a ping or UD thinks it is off-line.

Feb  7 09:57:30 Tower unassigned.devices: Error: Remote SMB/NFS server '192.168.0.10' is offline and share '//192.168.0.10/TV_Shows' cannot be mounted.

Be sure your remote server is configured to respond to a ping.

This is what the SMB indicator shows when the remote server is on-line.

1394216632_SMBOnline.png.471716a16bbab2309ff2ba8e5fc8f968.png

Ok solution was to first allow ping on Unifi USG

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003146787-UniFi-USG-Firewall-How-to-Enable-ICMP-over-WAN

And then create a FW rule on the Synology for Ping

https://www.randomhacks.co.uk/how-to-allow-incoming-pings-through-synology-firewall/

That fixed the SMB indicator!

1 hour ago, casperse said:

So its Ping? The server is online if I write the //192.168.0.... it connects

So maybe some special FW rule to allow ping (Is this normal SMB configuration I dont have any setup like this on my other servers?)

Any way not sure what to do next, maybee its a network issue not sure Unify allows network ping by default

Again Thanks for your quick reply!

UD has to ping so it can show the status of the remote server.  The share might be mountable, but UD doesn't know that without the server responding to a ping.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:52 PM, x64 said:

New Unraid user here. For some reason my 3TB ST33000650SS Seagate SAS drives (paired up with my LSI 9212-4i HBA in IT mode) aren't showing up in Unassigned Devices. My SATA drives show up just fine on the HBA in Unassigned Devices. The SAS drives preclear and add to my array flawlessly. Anyone run into this before?

Just following up here. Got a new 3TB HGST SAS drive and that one does show up correctly in Unassigned Devices. I now have 3 Seagate ST33000650SS SAS drives and none of them show up in UD when taken out of the array or are still unformated. I wonder if it's a bug or something? They are all on the same HBA. Let me know if I can furnish logs or something to help with this.

working.png

48 minutes ago, x64 said:

Just following up here. Got a new 3TB HGST SAS drive and that one does show up correctly in Unassigned Devices. I now have 3 Seagate ST33000650SS SAS drives and none of them show up in UD when taken out of the array or are still unformated. I wonder if it's a bug or something? They are all on the same HBA. Let me know if I can furnish logs or something to help with this.

working.png

Post diagnostics.  Tools->Diagnostics

11 minutes ago, x64 said:

Remove the UD plugin and then navigate to the Unassigned Devices tab and show me a screen shot.  It looks like the disk drive designations are not being recognized by UD.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Remove the UD plugin and then navigate to the Unassigned Devices tab and show me a screen shot.  It looks like the disk drive designations are not being recognized by UD.

Is this what you are needing? I don't see anything in the area UD is when the plugin is removed.

1.png

15 minutes ago, x64 said:

Is this what you are needing? I don't see anything in the area UD is when the plugin is removed.

1.png

Your drives should show here:

1485493277_UnassignedDevices.thumb.png.d039508f3bf567beeb1df843f3026c9c.png

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Your drives should show here:

1485493277_UnassignedDevices.thumb.png.d039508f3bf567beeb1df843f3026c9c.png

Nothing showed there without the UD plugin.

5 minutes ago, x64 said:

Nothing showed there without the UD plugin.

Your disks are not recognized by Linux.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your disks are not recognized by Linux.

Seems unlikely. I can bring up a terminal and see them just fine. They also show correctly in the syslog.

4 hours ago, x64 said:

Seems unlikely. I can bring up a terminal and see them just fine. They also show correctly in the syslog.

Show me where you see them.  I don’t see them in the diagnostics.

Quick Q.

I added the SMB shares using the "Add remote SMB share" because I wanted to copy files to UNRAID using some file manager and because I thought this was how I could share files to a Plex docker running on my new Unraid server?

But I just noticed that all the mounted shares are now showing up as shares on my network under Tower?

And reading the below info (Thanks)

Mount Points and Shares

There seems to ba a lot of confusion over a mount point vs. a share.  The mount point is where the device is mounted locally on Unraid.  A share makes the mount point available in Windows at '\\Tower' as a browseable folder.

It seems I might have done this wrong? or do I create them without mounting the SMB shares (Not wanting them available in Windows share \\Tower )

Sorry if I am complicating things ;-) love this plugin!

1 hour ago, casperse said:

Quick Q.

I added the SMB shares using the "Add remote SMB share" because I wanted to copy files to UNRAID using some file manager and because I thought this was how I could share files to a Plex docker running on my new Unraid server?

But I just noticed that all the mounted shares are now showing up as shares on my network under Tower?

And reading the below info (Thanks)

It seems I might have done this wrong? or do I create them without mounting the SMB shares (Not wanting them available in Windows share \\Tower )

Sorry if I am complicating things ;-) love this plugin!

Any SMB or NFS share will be shared locally as an Unraid share (show in \\Tower) based on the settings in the Settings->Unassigned Devices.  If you don't set up security there, then all shares will be shared public and any Windows computer can browse the shares.  Based on what you are telling me, you probably want to share them hidden.  That way they can't be browsed.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Any SMB or NFS share will be shared locally as an Unraid share (show in \\Tower) based on the settings in the Settings->Unassigned Devices.  If you don't set up security there, then all shares will be shared public and any Windows computer can browse the shares.  Based on what you are telling me, you probably want to share them hidden.  That way they can't be browsed.

YES! setting the UAD/SMB as hidden did exactly what I wanted! - I am new to Unraid and now on my 29 day trial, but looks like I have to go shopping for a Pro license! - Again many Thanks for clarifying! 

19 hours ago, dlandon said:

Show me where you see them.  I don’t see them in the diagnostics.

Again, they add to the array fine and preclear fine. The only area I'm not seeing them is in UD.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Edited by x64

Unassigned disks are disks not assigned to the array as parity, data, or cache.  Those disks are assigned to the array.  You’ll not see them as unassigned disks.

I am in the process of consolidating hardware & would like to move a RAID0 array into a VM with UD.  What I have been doing in the past to passthrough a disk is use disk-by-id in the KVM template and this works just fine, but is labeled as Red Hat VirtIO SCSI disk device by Windows 10.

If I create a RAID0 array with UD, can the array be passed through by using the root device ID?

If I pass through say 5 disks instead, will Win 10 Storage Spaces allow creating of an extended array with the QEMU emulated disks?

I'm trying to add an unassigned drive using a share from a Win10 machine on my network.

I go to "Add SMB/NFS Share", I choose "SMB' from the dropdown and it can see the PC in question, but it can't see any of the shares on the machine. I have the share(s) set to "everyone" so i shouldn't need username/password but even if I enter that info (same info I log into that Windows machine with) no shares display.

I read some other posts where the "finding" shares options doesn't work and that you should just manually type in the share which I've tried. It shows up in unassigned devices as "//myPC/G" but if I try to mount it, it doesn't succeed. Tried on 2 different PCs on my network with the same results.

The little light next to the Device in the first column is green though if that means anything...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I'm trying to add an unassigned drive using a share from a Win10 machine on my network.

I go to "Add SMB/NFS Share", I choose "SMB' from the dropdown and it can see the PC in question, but it can't see any of the shares on the machine.

Click on the 'Search for Servers' button, then select the server.  Then click on the 'Load Shares' button and you'll see the shares on that PC.

42 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I have the share(s) set to "everyone" so i shouldn't need username/password but even if I enter that info (same info I log into that Windows machine with) no shares display.

User and password are only needed to authenticate access to the share.  It is not necessary to show the shares on the PC.

43 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I read some other posts where the "finding" shares options doesn't work and that you should just manually type in the share which I've tried.

You shouldn't have to enter the share manually.  Works for me.  The ability for UD to see the shares on the PC depends on the Master Browser.  It might help to set Unraid as the Master Browser.  Settings->SMB->Workgroup Settings

44 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

It shows up in unassigned devices as "//myPC/G" but if I try to mount it, it doesn't succeed. Tried on 2 different PCs on my network with the same results.

Can't help unless you post your diagnostics.  Tools->Diagnostics.

33 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on the 'Search for Servers' button, then select the server.  Then click on the 'Load Shares' button and you'll see the shares on that PC.

User and password are only needed to authenticate access to the share.  It is not necessary to show the shares on the PC.

You shouldn't have to enter the share manually.  Works for me.  The ability for UD to see the shares on the PC depends on the Master Browser.  It might help to set Unraid as the Master Browser.  Settings->SMB->Workgroup Settings

Can't help unless you post your diagnostics.  Tools->Diagnostics.

I tried the "load shares" and it doesn't show any shares on any of the PCs on my network. It remains blank. 

I have the shares set on the PC in question as generic as possible - single letter, shared with "everyone"

unRaid is my master browser (Yoda head says so! :)) 

Diagnostics attached

shelbyville-diagnostics-20190212-1132.zip

Edited by jpotrz

39 minutes ago, jpotrz said:

I tried the "load shares" and it doesn't show any shares on any of the PCs on my network. It remains blank. 

I have the shares set on the PC in question as generic as possible - single letter, shared with "everyone"

unRaid is my master browser (Yoda head says so! :)) 

Diagnostics attached

shelbyville-diagnostics-20190212-1132.zip

Here are your issues:

Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB3 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000072 STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -128
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -128
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB2 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000072 STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -128
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB2 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB1 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,,vers=1.0,username=xxx=******* '//HOMER/G' '/mnt/disks/HOMER_G'
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount of '//HOMER/G' failed. Error message: mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) 

I have no idea what the "Key has been revoked" means.  Possibly a Windows 10 permission issue?

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Here are your issues:

Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB3 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB3 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB2 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: SMB2 mount failed: mount error(128): Key has been revoked Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) .
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//HOMER/G' using SMB1 protocol.
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,,vers=1.0,username=xxx=******* '//HOMER/G' '/mnt/disks/HOMER_G'
Feb 12 10:05:59 Shelbyville unassigned.devices: Mount of '//HOMER/G' failed. Error message: mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) 

I have no idea what the "Key has been revoked" means.  Possibly a Windows 10 permission issue?

Hmmm. Not sure what permissions would be needed. That snipet is from the manual entry I did. I'm guessing that would cause problems on it's own.

Obviously something is messed up as it's not populating the shares on /Homer when I hit the "load shares" button. 

I can access the shares from other Windows PCs no problem.

Edited by jpotrz