[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

8 minutes ago, wortzinator said:

Are you saying that I can’t change the WebUI port on the container I am trying to rout to the VPN container? Or are you saying that I should not add a new port in delugevpn?

neither :-), what im saying is the 'Container Port:' value for the port you have added to delugevpn MUST be 8080, it cannot be changed, what CAN be changed is the 'Host Port:' this can be whatever you like as long as it's not already in use, an example of what i mean, note the container port number:-

image.png.d25d081a16f45f9e74df29b880e9cd41.png

4 minutes ago, wortzinator said:

Okay, so as long as I’m tracking correctly; in your picture above if I set my WebUI of that specific container to 1234 then in the Host I would set that to 1234 but then the Container would be 8080 because that is the default port of that specified container?

you got it!, the only edit to the above is that its not 'the default port of that specified container?' its the default port of the application running inside the container, but yeah you get the idea.

Awesome! I will try this fix when I either have a break at work or once I get home. 

Left click icon and 'Edit' container and toggle advanced view (top right).

In 'Extra Parameters' enter --net=container:<vpn container name>.

Go to 'Network Type' and select 'none'.

Remove all ports defined (no ports required as we will be accessing it via the vpn container).

Click on 'Apply'.

And in the VPN Q&A you mentioned removing all ports. Do you mean literally all the Host ports called out? For example if I wanted to move my binhex-sonarr over I would delete Host port 1 and 2? But then would I only have to map over the Host port 1 being 8989 which I have as 8787 (I’m seeing consistencies now that I’m starting to understand this). Do I do anything with Host port 2: Container port:9897?

5 minutes ago, wortzinator said:

Do you mean literally all the Host ports called out?

i mean you can delete ALL ports for the container you are going to attach to the vpn container, click on 'Remove' for each 'Host Port X' entry, just to be 100% clear do not delete the ports on the vpn container, just the other container you want to attach, ok.

9 minutes ago, wortzinator said:

For example if I wanted to move my binhex-sonarr over I would delete Host port 1 and 2?

correct.

But then would I only have to map over the Host port 1 being 8989 which I have as 8787

correct

Do I do anything with Host port 2: Container port:9897?

from memory i think that port was used in case you use secure connection to sonarr, i dont think it will be required so ignore it (you can run https over 8989).

On 4/29/2021 at 3:07 AM, NGDM said:

Have you ever found a reason/solution to this?

I'm encountering this issue also.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:47 AM, NVS1 said:

Did you ever get an answer to this? It seems as though I'm encountering this issue too... only solution right now is to restart my container, and then everything clears up. After a couple days, my trackers will start showing HnR's and such, and they're not seeing any of my torrents being seeded.

Unfortunately I never got an answer to my issue. I ended up routinely going into Deluge to pause all the torrents and then restarting them, then I would verify it's being seen by the trackers. 

It doesn't seem to have been happening since I made my last post about this but I would say probably check if there's any updates you can make to the image or if everything is ok with your VPN port-forwarding service. I was using PIA and believe the endpoint for my port-forwarding went down and I had to update that. 

Thought I would show my setup since i fought with this for months like a dummy. I have what seems to be a pretty common use case, routing jackett, radarr, and sonarr, through DelugeVPN.

Older setups of the deluge vpn may still try to use an additional ports setting which wasn't helping me. I have the port for each of the three things I am looking to access listed in three places in the update container page for delugevpn. Listed in the Container_Input_Ports, Container_Output_Ports and then there is also a separate port definition for each web ui I had to add. IO_Ports.thumb.PNG.bad2d35ea335547cd555aae3774334ff.PNG

AlonePorts.thumb.PNG.457480d4bd1d12d9b5120ac3dac9060c.PNG

Then in the setup for jackett, sonarr, and radar I have network type set to none, and under advanced view the extra parameter --net=container:binhex-delugevpn. (Capitalization is important on that parameter, I had to make sure it matched my name for the delugevpn docker.) I then deleted the ports that would normally be associated with jackett(Leaving it in the WebUI box didn't seem to hurt anything)

Jackett.thumb.PNG.90721157881ee89e9fbe95c998a04c7c.PNG

Now my containers are able to talk to each other (at least so far) for example Radarr sees deluge at host:localhost and port:8112 and can see my rarbg indexer at http://localhost:9117/api/v2.0/indexers/rarbg/results/torznab/    (I had to substitute in localhost, jackett still wanted to use the local IP for the copy link function.)

Hopefully this helps someone else from fighting this for as long.

I'd really like to thank binhex for putting all these containers together for us to use and trying to keep up with all the support requests. I spent about 36 hours trying to figure out how to do something similar by either making a docker of my own to use my vpn provider's linux client or with an openvpn client container someone else had written (It only worked until it leaked, guess I'll wait for the email from my ISP). Another couple readings of the FAQs from binhex had me up and running on the setup I'd been using for a couple years without issue...   Guess I'll be sticking around

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 6:21 PM, orlando500 said:

1) same for different machine

2) same for different browser (tried chrome and MS edge)

3) not blocking any local traffic

4)wireguard is off

5) no vlan use

6) sh-5.1# curl http://localhost:8112
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 8112: Connection refused
sh-5.1# 

7) host is restarted

8 ) yes it seems i need to start from scratch... strange, it would be nice to have some sort of "check the config/problem solving" script 🙂 i just dont know what to look for in these stops. And yes i know its been a while for the update. This is the reason i dont like to update so often. It tends to break stuff. All other binhex dockers run fine and i update them once a week.

edit: btw: the first curl was from container terminal, here is from server terminal:

root@hal:~# curl http://localhost:8112
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

Today I ran into a similar issue --> connection refused to webui, while two weeks ago worked flawlessly.
Tried force updating etc, without succes.

Then I remenbered there were some updates on the NORDVPN software side this week.
I checked the servers allowing for openVPN connection, and the server I was using before wasn't in the list anymore.
Installed a new openvpn config file (to another server) and docker container runs fine. again.

Issue was on the side of NORDVPN in my case.

Edited by cantharides999

[EDIT - wanted to cancel my request for help as I found the problem, but also wanted to document the solution for others. Turns out the issue was the default “localhost” addresses for the Sonarr/Radar configurations. Changing those to the direct IP of the server fixed all of the connectivity issues.]

HI all, I'm having problems using delugevpn with other docker containers (like NZBGET or the ***ars). The other containers all have DNS or connection or "pipe closed" issues, which leads me to guess they aren't able to communicate through Delugevpn. But since I'm a relative newbie to Docker, am not sure what the issue might be, and was hoping some of you folks might be able to point me in the right direction.

Errors I see include:

"Unable to communicate with NZBGet. Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down." (Sonarr) - verified that NZBGet is up and running

"Could not resolve hostname https://api.nzbgeek.info/: Error -2 - Name does not resolve" (NZBGet, when trying to add newshost and testing)

Deluge (part of the DelugeVPN package obviously) *does* work, which seems to hint at some sort of Docker/DelugeVPN networking configuration issue AFAIKT.

My docker-compose file for DelugeVPN (using ProtonVPN) is below. Note that I'm locked to this specific image due to a known kernel version on Synology which blocks me from using the most recent builds. It would be good to know if that's the issue in itself, in which case I guess I'll need to try to set up another VPN. Appreciate any tips you might be able to share, with thanks!

version: "2"
services:
  deluge-openvpn:
    restart: always
    image: binhex/arch-delugevpn:2.0.4.dev38_g23a48dd01-3-01
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    ports:
      - "8112:8112"
      - "8118:8118"
      - "58846:58846"
    volumes:
      - /volume1/data:/volume1/data #don't understand why I need this for Deluge to write files
      - /volume1/docker/delugevpn_protonvpn/config:/config
      - /volume1/data/downloads/torrents:/data
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    environment:
      - VPN_ENABLED=yes
      - VPN_USER=XXX
      - VPN_PASS=XXX
      - VPN_PORT=443
      - VPN_PROTOCOL=udp
      - VPN_DEVICE_TYPE=tun
      - VPN_PROV=protonvpn
      - STRONG_CERTS=no
      - ENABLE_PRIVOXY=no
      - LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24
      - NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4
      - DEBUG=false
      - PUID=1029
      - PGID=100
      - UMASK=000
      - TZ=America/Vancouver

Edited by Dublindog
Documented solution
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @binhex,

My container is not started anymore, it was running without any problem a couple months ago. I just notice it stop running about 1-2 weeks ago.

My setup is running through swag, and NordVPN opvn. Right now, even I copied a new opvn server file. It is not started. I tried to set VPN to no => it works, but the database is clean.

Here is the log file:

2021-06-29 00:12:19.324901 [info] Host is running unRAID
2021-06-29 00:12:19.341121 [info] System information Linux e584c106b0ed 5.10.28-Unraid #1 SMP Wed Apr 7 08:23:18 PDT 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2021-06-29 00:12:19.359360 [info] OS_ARCH defined as 'x86-64'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.377266 [info] PUID defined as '99'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.397389 [info] PGID defined as '100'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.426152 [info] UMASK defined as '000'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.443933 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings
2021-06-29 00:12:19.462253 [info] Deleting files in /tmp (non recursive)...
2021-06-29 00:12:19.483114 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.501805 [warn] VPN_CLIENT not defined (via -e VPN_CLIENT), defaulting to 'openvpn'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.519490 [info] VPN_PROV defined as 'custom'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.541073 [crit] No OpenVPN config file located in /config/openvpn/ (ovpn extension), please download from your VPN provider and then restart this container, exiting...

Thank you very much.

Long Vu.

3 minutes ago, Lohisa said:

Hi @binhex,

My container is not started anymore, it was running without any problem a couple months ago. I just notice it stop running about 1-2 weeks ago.

My setup is running through swag, and NordVPN opvn. Right now, even I copied a new opvn server file. It is not started. I tried to set VPN to no => it works, but the database is clean.

Here is the log file:

2021-06-29 00:12:19.324901 [info] Host is running unRAID
2021-06-29 00:12:19.341121 [info] System information Linux e584c106b0ed 5.10.28-Unraid #1 SMP Wed Apr 7 08:23:18 PDT 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2021-06-29 00:12:19.359360 [info] OS_ARCH defined as 'x86-64'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.377266 [info] PUID defined as '99'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.397389 [info] PGID defined as '100'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.426152 [info] UMASK defined as '000'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.443933 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings
2021-06-29 00:12:19.462253 [info] Deleting files in /tmp (non recursive)...
2021-06-29 00:12:19.483114 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.501805 [warn] VPN_CLIENT not defined (via -e VPN_CLIENT), defaulting to 'openvpn'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.519490 [info] VPN_PROV defined as 'custom'
2021-06-29 00:12:19.541073 [crit] No OpenVPN config file located in /config/openvpn/ (ovpn extension), please download from your VPN provider and then restart this container, exiting...

Thank you very much.

Long Vu.

not obvious enough?:-

in /config/openvpn there are 3 files: 2 opvn files download from NordVPN website (1 with tcp443 and 1 with udp1194 in their name) + 1 credentials.conf with account and pass from NordVPN.

They have been in this folder for couple months and running without any problem. I even downloaded a new 2 opvn files and replace the old ones, but it still show logs like that.

in /config/openvpn there are 3 files: 2 opvn files download from NordVPN website (1 with tcp443 and 1 with udp1194 in their name) + 1 credentials.conf with account and pass from NordVPN.

They have been in this folder for couple months and running without any problem. I even downloaded a new 2 opvn files and replace the old ones, but it still show logs like that.
Can you do a screenshot of the folder, I suspect the OpenVPN config files do not have a .ovpn extension

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok and can you left click delugevpn and select edit, then click on 'show more settings' at the bottom and screenshot what /config is set to, also do the following:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Bro, you are genius, the /config is different. Don't know what did I do, but somehow, the /config in container change to /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-deluge (not delugevpn). That's why it can not find the opvn files. Change it to correct path, the container is running. Only problem the data is not the up-to-date as I remembered. I need to restore it from my backup.

Thank you very much Binhex. 

• Like 1

I just updated to DSM 7 on my synology and suddenly DelugeVPN stopped working. Anyone else who's had this happen to them?

EDIT: It looks like The container is running as a tracker is seeing my shared torrents, but I cannot connect to the daemon or webUI from anywhere. Neither lan nor wan. Both were working yesterday.

EDIT2: I think i solved it, so heres how to anyone else who might experience this. Looks like something during the update changed the daemon port setting in Docker to one below what it was before the update. Caught the error, changed it back and now everything is working again. 

Edited by Thrane

I cannot get this figured out so I am coming here for help. I was swapping batteries in my UPS 2 days ago when I accidentally turned off the UPS instead of starting a self-test. Server was hard shut off and then I rebooted it and it performed parity check and everything came out ok until I realized today that I cannot access my deluge containers (I have 3). I have gone through the logs and it seems like it was running fine until the hard shutdown and now the logs loop after an Inactivity Timeout. I have combed the logs and cannot find a reason why.

I have already downloaded fresh "ca.crt", "ta.key", and ovpn files and have even changed my user name and pass and entered the new ones. It seems to be an issue with my VPN connection as I can access the GUI if I turn off VPN, but when it is on, it will not connect. LAN is 192.168.1.0/24. I have double checked the info by making a new VPN connection on my desktop and it connects fine.

supervisord.log

Hi! I was wondering if having two ISPs would cause the VPN connection to disconnect when doing a failover if ISP1 goes down and automatically moved to ISP2? Or the connection is securely enough it can withstand a failover when ISP1 is up? Does it work ok with load-balancing as well? 

Thanks for the hard work, I tried several options to set up a VPN tunnel for torrents but nothing worked until I tried DelugeVPN. Thanks.

On 7/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, ghostlight said:

I was wondering if having two ISPs would cause the VPN connection to disconnect when doing a failover if ISP1 goes down and automatically moved to ISP2?

of course, any interruption in the internet connection will cause the vpn tunnel to disconnect and unless the failover is perfect with no dropped packets (unlikely) then a vpn drop is inevitable, note this image should reconnect though automatically, no container restart should be required (assuming internet connectivity is restored to the host).

On 7/2/2021 at 10:06 PM, Kosslyn said:

I cannot get this figured out so I am coming here for help. I was swapping batteries in my UPS 2 days ago when I accidentally turned off the UPS instead of starting a self-test. Server was hard shut off and then I rebooted it and it performed parity check and everything came out ok until I realized today that I cannot access my deluge containers (I have 3). I have gone through the logs and it seems like it was running fine until the hard shutdown and now the logs loop after an Inactivity Timeout. I have combed the logs and cannot find a reason why.

I have already downloaded fresh "ca.crt", "ta.key", and ovpn files and have even changed my user name and pass and entered the new ones. It seems to be an issue with my VPN connection as I can access the GUI if I turn off VPN, but when it is on, it will not connect. LAN is 192.168.1.0/24. I have double checked the info by making a new VPN connection on my desktop and it connects fine.

supervisord.log 32.9 kB · 3 downloads

from your log:-

2021-07-02 13:45:19 [UNDEF] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

see Q17:https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md