[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

Hey you all,

just discovered this godsend minutes ago and am already in love. It's running just fine but needs a few days of testing to be sure. In the meantime, I have a few quick question if you don't mind.

1) Is there a way to autostart the container on boot? Should I stop the container before shutting down in order to prevent damaging it? I'm not running a 24/7 server, so shutdowns are regular. I'm on Arch Linux btw.

2) Can I just add a folder for auto-grabbing torrent files using the same syntax (-v ...) so that torrent files added to a host folder will magically appear in the respective docker folder where Deluge grabs them?

3) Any chance to point the download folder on the host side to a different hdd? The system SSD is quite small compared my data grave HDD.

4) Can I safely set the DNS address (Google as per default) to my VPN's address without breaking anything?

5) Is it recommended to update to new versions? What would be the advantage? Could I use an older image if my tracker requires a certain version of Deluge?

6) How does updating work? Do I have to manually check for new versions and would it overwrite settings if I updated?

7) Running Arch Linux, I found a GUI frontend called Kitematic. It looks nice but doesn't recognises folders for volumes that were set in the terminal. I guess the question is if anyone uses it?

Cheers,

TombRaider

Hey you all,

just discovered this godsend minutes ago and am already in love. It's running just fine but needs a few days of testing to be sure. In the meantime, I have a few quick question if you don't mind.

1) Is there a way to autostart the container on boot? Should I stop the container before shutting down in order to prevent damaging it? I'm not running a 24/7 server, so shutdowns are regular. I'm on Arch Linux btw.

2) Can I just add a folder for auto-grabbing torrent files using the same syntax (-v ...) so that torrent files added to a host folder will magically appear in the respective docker folder where Deluge grabs them?

3) Any chance to point the download folder on the host side to a different hdd? The system SSD is quite small compared my data grave HDD.

4) Can I safely set the DNS address (Google as per default) to my VPN's address without breaking anything?

5) Is it recommended to update to new versions? What would be the advantage? Could I use an older image if my tracker requires a certain version of Deluge?

6) How does updating work? Do I have to manually check for new versions and would it overwrite settings if I updated?

7) Running Arch Linux, I found a GUI frontend called Kitematic. It looks nice but doesn't recognises folders for volumes that were set in the terminal. I guess the question is if anyone uses it?

Cheers,

TombRaider

replies as follows:-

1) im assuming your an unraid user, if so then start unraid webui, go to docker tab to see all containers and then click the slider to enable start on boot.

2) what your describing is a watch folder, this is already built into deluge, so just configure the watch folder in deluge and point it at /data/<name of the folder you want> and then you can drop torrent files on the host side into /<whatever data maps to on the host>/<name of the watch folder>/

3) you can point /data at any drive that is accessible on the host running unraid, e.g. /mnt/user/downloads however the side effect of this is that you will be keeping your drives spinning, thus the recommendation is generally to keep downloaded data on the cache drive (ssd) and then move it to the array.

4) you can set the value for key NAME_SERVERS to anything you want, not sure what you mean by "the VPN's address", just to be clear you would need to find out if your vpn provider has their own name servers setup and what the ip address of them is, this is NOT the same as the vpn endpoint.

5) this docker image included the latest stable version of deluge, thus no upgrade required, if you want to use a specific version then you will need to use docker tags to do this.

see FAQ Q11. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45811.msg437673#msg437673

6) see FAQ Q10. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45811.msg437673#msg437673 and no it wont overwrite your settings, as long as you keep the same mapping to your config folder then it will just pick up the config files.

7) kitematic is a gui frontend to the docker engine, its not used with unraid as we already have a very nice web ui interface to docker, plus the CA plugin to find docker images. i have used kitematic in the past, its ok but really once you wrap your head around the docker command line then there is no need for it.

Thanks for your reply binhex! That has cleared up quite a bit.  :)

1) I'm not an unRAID user. I take it that unRAID is a modified server OS much like FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault. I run docker on a regular Arch Linux desktop PC.

2) great, that's what I was hoping for.

3) that's fantastic as well.

4) Sorry for the confusion. I meant what you wrote. 10.4.0.1 would be my VPN DNS server IP. Glad to hear that will work too.

5+6+7) fair enough

I've got another question :D

With the container running I see two additional network interfaces, i.e. docker0 which is self-explaining and one veth59exxx which supposedly represents the VPN tunnel. My small network usage widget, which tracks all interfaces, shows a constant downloading stream of roughly 500Kib/s  despite me not downloading anything. Is this the container talking to the host or should I be worried? Again, this is on a Linux host with no unRAID installed.

I just installed this docker for the first time. Install went ok.

I went back and added another mapping, but when I clicked apply, it could not restart the docker and got this error:

docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create endpoint binhex-delugevpn on network bridge: Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:58846: bind: address already in use.

The command failed.

If I try start it again I get a server execution error.

I tried removing the docker and installing it again but now it wont install with the same error.

listen tcp 0.0.0.0:58846: bind: address already in use.

The above is the important part, so basically you already had  port 58846 in use on the host side (unraid), and thus it couldnt start, the reason restarting the docker service "fixed it" is purely down to timing, this time the delugevpn docker started before the other container that is also bound to port 58846.

solution to the problem is make sure nothing else on the host side is using port 58846 other than delugevpn and you wont see the problem again, as it stands right now you may get into a situation where restarting the container could result in the same problem (depending if the conflicting docker container with port 58846 is up).

edit - i see you had linuxserver's deluge container running, that would DEF cause a conflict, as port 58846 will be defined for that container also!.

Thanks for the info binhex. linuxserver's docker doesn't have any port mappings in the docker settings, so it's not apparent up front what ports it's using.

The thing is, are you sure there is a conflict with the other deluge docker when the initial install of your deluge docker went fine? It only gave the conflicting port issue when trying to restart this docker. Because of this it seemed more like something that was installed with this docker wasn't shutting down or restarting right when the docker tried to start again.

Thanks for the info binhex. linuxserver's docker doesn't have any port mappings in the docker settings, so it's not apparent up front what ports it's using.

The thing is, are you sure there is a conflict with the other deluge docker when the initial install of your deluge docker went fine? It only gave the conflicting port issue when trying to restart this docker. Because of this it seemed more like something that was installed with this docker wasn't shutting down or restarting right when the docker tried to start again.

yeah the reason you dont define ports for the linuxserver docker container is because its defined as host only, not bridged.

i am 99.9999% sure the problem was due to the fact you were running linuxserver docker and this docker at the same time, the default deluge port is 58846 so it makes perfect sense that you would get a port conflict, which is exactly what the error message was showing, of course there is always a chance it is something else :-)

Is anyone encountering downloads stops after deluge has been downloading for at least 10 minutes? The progress still states "downloading" but down and up speed is zero. I have to stop/start the daemon for downloads to start again. Is it a misconfiguration on my part? Using PIA.

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-delugevpn in the binhex repo.

Application: Deluge - http://deluge-torrent.org/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-delugevpn/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer  :D

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Whats the default username so i can use the deluge client instead of the web versiom

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-delugevpn in the binhex repo.

Application: Deluge - http://deluge-torrent.org/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-delugevpn/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer  :D

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Whats the default username so i can use the deluge client instead of the web versiom

Check the auth file in the config folder.

Is anyone encountering downloads stops after deluge has been downloading for at least 10 minutes? The progress still states "downloading" but down and up speed is zero. I have to stop/start the daemon for downloads to start again. Is it a misconfiguration on my part? Using PIA.

If your speeds drop to 0 then the vpn tunnel is down, this was due either to a vpn provider issue or your isp connection dropping. i have built in the ability to re-establish the connection automatically when this happens after a maximum 10 minute period. so in short next time just leave it and it will auto reconnect and carry on d/ul.

If your speeds drop to 0 then the vpn tunnel is down, this was due either to a vpn provider issue or your isp connection dropping. i have built in the ability to re-establish the connection automatically when this happens after a maximum 10 minute period. so in short next time just leave it and it will auto reconnect and carry on d/ul.

This is happening to me all the time all of a sudden - I use air - their control panel says the connection is good when download/upload drops - happening in both Deluge and ruTorrent - both are using AirVPN :(

Is there a way to configure/change this 10 min timeout?  I have just recently moved and DSL in this new location - totally blows balls :(  All that is available

Myk

Binhex - I want to thank you for all the work you do on your dockers.  I use several of them and they work great and are very stable.  Sent you some beer money!  Thx.

I've been using DelugeVPN for a while and it works great.  I'm trying to take advantage of Privoxy that is included but I'm missing something on how to config my browser(Google Chrome) to utilize it.  I know I need to configure Chrome's proxy settings to point to the VPN.  What IP do I use for that address?  Is it the host address and port 8118?  I've also seen setup suggestions for Privoxy say to point at 127.0.0.1 port 8118.

I have tried both but neither work.  Browser tells me no internet connection available.  I have confirmed using the CheckMyTorrent that the VPN portion is setup and working properly.  I know I'm missing something silly based on my limited understanding...

Here's my Deluge settings.

Network Type: Bridged

Privileged: ON

Host Port 1: 8112

Container Port: 8112

Host Port 2: 58846

Container Port: 58846

Host Port 3: 8118

Container Port: 8118

Host Path 2: /mnt/user/Download/

Container Path: /data

Key 1: yes 

Container Variable: VPN_ENABLED

Key 2: XXXXXXXXX

Container Variable: VPN_USER

Key 3: XXXXXXXX 

Container Variable: VPN_PASS

Key 4: us-midwest.privateinternetaccess.com 

Container Variable: VPN_REMOTE

Key 5: 1198 

Container Variable: VPN_PORT

Key 6: udp 

Container Variable: VPN_PROTOCOL

Key 7:  

Container Variable: VPN_PROV

Key 8: no 

Container Variable: STRONG_CERTS

Key 9: yes 

Container Variable: ENABLE_PRIVOXY

Key 10: 10.121.1.0/24 

Container Variable: LAN_NETWORK

Key 11: false 

Container Variable: DEBUG

Key 12: 99 

Container Variable: PUID

This is happening to me all the time all of a sudden - I use air - their control panel says the connection is good when download/upload drops - happening in both Deluge and ruTorrent - both are using AirVPN :(

Is there a way to configure/change this 10 min timeout?  I have just recently moved and DSL in this new location - totally blows balls :(  All that is available

Myk

At the moment in afraid there is no way to define it, I could add this in, however if your ISP/router is dropping your connection on a frequent basis then this really is only go to help so much, you really need to get to the bottom of why you're losing connection to the tunnel, are you by ant chance flooding your connection? If you attempt to use 100% of your connection either up or down then it is possible that the VPN watchdog won't have enough bandwidth to ping the end of the tunnel, so limit your downloader and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answer. I did not know about the builtin automatic re-connect feature. I will leave it on next time it DL/UL drops to zero. Now I need to find out why the VPN tunnel is dropping out. My internet connection is working OK when that happens. Thanks again.

Thanks for the answer. I did not know about the builtin automatic re-connect feature. I will leave it on next time it DL/UL drops to zero. Now I need to find out why the VPN tunnel is dropping out. My internet connection is working OK when that happens. Thanks again.

As pointed out on my previous post also keep in mind it could be due to line saturation, if your connection is maxed out then the built in VPN watchdog won't have enough bandwidth to get a ping response and thus will assume the connection is down and restart, so limit upload and download for the app

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Binhex - I want to thank you for all the work you do on your dockers.  I use several of them and they work great and are very stable.  Sent you some beer money!  Thx.

I've been using DelugeVPN for a while and it works great.  I'm trying to take advantage of Privoxy that is included but I'm missing something on how to config my browser(Google Chrome) to utilize it.  I know I need to configure Chrome's proxy settings to point to the VPN.  What IP do I use for that address?  Is it the host address and port 8118?  I've also seen setup suggestions for Privoxy say to point at 127.0.0.1 port 8118.

I have tried both but neither work.  Browser tells me no internet connection available.  I have confirmed using the CheckMyTorrent that the VPN portion is setup and working properly.  I know I'm missing something silly based on my limited understanding...

Here's my Deluge settings.

Network Type: Bridged

Privileged: ON

Host Port 1: 8112

Host Port 2: 58846

Host Port 3: 8118

Host Path 2: /mnt/user/Download/

Key 1: yes 

Key 2: XXXXXXXXX

Key 3: XXXXXXXX 

Key 4: us-midwest.privateinternetaccess.com 

Key 5: 1198 

Key 6: udp 

Key 7:  

Key 8: no 

Key 9: yes 

Key 10: 10.121.1.0/24 

Key 11: false 

Key 12: 99 

hi elmn8r. firstly thanks for the donation, always very appreciated!.

so onto your problem, it sounds like your almost there, so you need to configure chrome to use privoxy, you should be entering in a proxy address of <your unraid servers ip> in the "Address:" field and then the privoxy port number in the "Port:" field, optionally tick the box to bypass the proxy for local addresses and that should do it.

I apparently suck at this.

I switched from linuxserver's generic deluge to this one to take advantage of the VPN features.

I got everything working (checked using the fake torrent file), and it all worked happily for two months (with the exception that I've never been able to get a remote deluge client to connect from a different system on the LAN).

Today I rebooted my system, and when the docker came back up I can no longer access the web UI.

Any thoughts as to why I can't get on the webui (or connect a remote deluge) would be appreciated.

My server is running on 192.168.0.101, and my configuration looks like:

Network Type:      Bridge

Privileged:  ON

Host Port 1:  8112

Host Port 2:  58846

Host Port 3:  8118

Host Path 2:  /mnt/user/Download/

Key 1:  yes 

Key 2:  XXXXXXXXX

Key 3:  XXXXXXXX 

Key 4:  nl.privateinternetaccess.com

Key 5:  1198 

Key 6:  udp 

Key 7:    tun

Container Variable: VPN_DEVICE_TYPE

Key 8:  pia

Key 9:  no 

Key 10:  no 

Key 11:  192.168.0.1/24 

Key 12:  8.8.8.8,37.235.1.174,8.8.4.4,37.235.1.177

Container Variable: NAME_SERVERS

Key 13:  false 

Key 14:  99 

Key 15:  100 

Container Variable: PGID

I apparently suck at this.

I switched from linuxserver's generic deluge to this one to take advantage of the VPN features.

I got everything working (checked using the fake torrent file), and it all worked happily for two months (with the exception that I've never been able to get a remote deluge client to connect from a different system on the LAN).

Today I rebooted my system, and when the docker came back up I can no longer access the web UI.

Any thoughts as to why I can't get on the webui (or connect a remote deluge) would be appreciated.

My server is running on 192.168.0.101, and my configuration looks like:

Network Type:      Bridge

Privileged:  ON

Host Port 1:  8112

Host Port 2:  58846

Host Port 3:  8118

Host Path 2:  /mnt/user/Download/

Key 1:  yes