[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

No, not afaik. You could change the UID so it runs as a specific user instead of the nobody user. If you have only one user this can work fine. On my backup server I have done this, as it has only one user. I then make sure I call the user the same on all my other machines which is going to access the files, works fine.

If you use couchpotato or sonarr or something I believe you can set the permissions there.

To get this container to execute in Docker on the latest Synology version (DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1):

1. The --cap-add=NET_ADMIN parameter isn't supported by the Docker GUI. Without it iptables won't play nice. Instead select 'Execute container using high privilege' under the General settings of the container.
  2. Make sure that mandatory kernel modules are loaded. We got two options (A & B):
    A. This won't survive a reboot. SSH as an user in the administrators group to your Synology NAS and run the following commands:
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko

B. This will recover the loading during the boot. Create a new 'Triggered Task' from the DSM 'Control Panel' -> 'Task Scheduler'. Select user 'root', event 'Boot-up' and check 'Enabled'. As script enter:
    insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko

3. Done. //EDIT: User reported he needed to reboot. I can't remember anymore.
@binhex:
Could you please consider adding an option to shutdown the container with a non-zero status if these modules are not loaded (if possible)? Currently the container appears to be running, but Deluge will not be loaded because of these missing modules. It took me some time to figure out why I couldn't reach Deluge.

Also, Synology Docker contains and option (in the GUI) to auto restart the container on unexpected shutdown (non-zero exit status). I think it will append --restart failure to the docker command. If you add this shutdown we will always have enough time to make sure the loading of the required modules is done during the boot-up (using the Task Scheduler).

Thank you so much for the container. :) The most used 3rd packages source for our Synology NAS systems (SynoCommunity) is currently incompatible with the latest version of the operation system (DSM 6+) and it looks like it will be the case for a long time. So containers like these are essential for us.
Edited by BakedPizza
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, BakedPizza said:

To get this container to execute in Docker on the latest Synology version (DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1):

I'm new to both Synology and Docker.  I guess this explains why I can't get it to run properly. :)  I'll be on the lookout for an updated image if something is released to fix the issue for us.

7 hours ago, BakedPizza said:

1. The --cap-add=NET_ADMIN parameter isn't supported by the Docker GUI. Without it iptables won't play nice. Instead select 'Execute container using high privilege' under the General settings of the container.
  2. Make sure that mandatory kernel modules are loaded. We got two options (A & B):
    A. This won't survive a reboot. SSH as an user in the administrators group to your Synology NAS and run the following commands:

sudo insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko

B. This will recover the loading during the boot. Create a new 'Triggered Task' from the DSM 'Control Panel' -> 'Task Scheduler'. Select user 'root', event 'Boot-up' and check 'Enabled'. As script enter:

insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko

3. Done.
@binhex:
Could you please consider adding an option to shutdown the container with a non-zero status if these modules are not loaded (if possible)? Currently the container appears to be running, but Deluge will not be loaded because of these missing modules. It took me some time to figure out why I couldn't reach Deluge.

Thanks for laying out the solution so clearly, i am just about check-in some additional code to check for the tun module, and exit if not present, i already have code in place to check for iptable_mangle, i wont be forcing exit if this particular module isnt present as the vpn will still come up, you just wont be able to access the interface outside of the lan.

as a side note unraid users also suffer an issue with iptable_mangle, where we have to ensure its loaded prior to starting this container otherwise you cannot access it externally.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, clambert said:

I'm new to both Synology and Docker.  I guess this explains why I can't get it to run properly. :)  I'll be on the lookout for an updated image if something is released to fix the issue for us.

just to manage your expectations here, the best "fix" i can do is simply to log the error with a suggested fix and exit, i cannot execute any commands to load kernel modules from inside the container.

10 hours ago, ween101 said:

Hello and good day 

It looks like I have my settings are correct but I can't seem to open up the web gui get a "this site can't be reached refused to connect error" 

I have it set to the default port of 8112 

I have my log file attached any insight would be great 

delugevpn.txt

i will need the full log file to see the issue, please repost with the full log (minus username and password)

12 hours ago, binhex said:

just to manage your expectations here, the best "fix" i can do is simply to log the error with a suggested fix and exit, i cannot execute any commands to load kernel modules from inside the container.

LOL! That's fine. I'll just have to man up and follow BakedPizza's lead.  I appreciate you keeping it real. :)

21 hours ago, binhex said:

Thanks for laying out the solution so clearly, i am just about check-in some additional code to check for the tun module, and exit if not present, i already have code in place to check for iptable_mangle, i wont be forcing exit if this particular module isnt present as the vpn will still come up, you just wont be able to access the interface outside of the lan.

Sounds fair enough and thanks for your swift consideration. :)Time to look at your arch-medusa container.

Edited by BakedPizza

Hello All,

I am new to delugevpn and am having a few issues. I am using the label plugin and it will disable itself and therefore cause an error in both radarr and sonarr. I have to go in and reenable the label plugin for radarr and sonarr to work correctly. I am not sure how to go about getting this issue fixed. If it helps i am running the most up to date version of the docker.

Recently I have been having an issue with this docker, where on startup of unraid, this docker won't work until I manually restart it.

Any ideas what could cause this?

The log shows the following:

2017-03-07 06:05:36,742 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[crit] 'tun' module not available, you will not be able to connect to Deluge or Privoxy outside of your LAN

2 hours ago, dvd.collector said:

Recently I have been having an issue with this docker, where on startup of unraid, this docker won't work until I manually restart it.

[crit] 'tun' module not available, you will not be able to connect to Deluge or Privoxy outside of your LAN

my sig, vpn docker faq q1.

Just now, dvd.collector said:

I've been running unraid 6.3.0 for ages with this docker though with no problem, but I'll try what is listed in the FAQ.

trust me, this is your issue, it MAY just work sometimes if you also run a VM on startup, as this forces the iptable_mangle module to load, however its a race to see which one starts first, if docker gets in there first then your stuffed until you restart the container, the fix detailed in my sig will permanently fix it, ensuring iptable_mangle module is available.

2 hours ago, dvd.collector said:

This doesn't help a whole lot but I've been having the same issue since I updated this docker image yesterday. I can't access the webui (even after a restart) and have this note in the logs. I tried a fresh config and still have the same error. I'm not sure what else I can do :/ First time having an issue with this docker and I've been using it for a loooong time with the same settings (bridged network, lan_network set correctly for my network, etc.).

18 minutes ago, PatchyCactus said:

This doesn't help a whole lot but I've been having the same issue since I updated this docker image yesterday. I can't access the webui (even after a restart) and have this note in the logs. I tried a fresh config and still have the same error. I'm not sure what else I can do :/ First time having an issue with this docker and I've been using it for a loooong time with the same settings (bridged network, lan_network set correctly for my network, etc.).

this is a completely separate issue, if you cant access the webui even on your home lan then you have another issue, please post your full supervisord.log file.

can you also post the output of command "lsmod" executed on your unraid host.

Edited by binhex
20 minutes ago, binhex said:

trust me, this is your issue, it MAY just work sometimes if you also run a VM on startup, as this forces the iptable_mangle module to load, however its a race to see which one starts first, if docker gets in there first then your stuffed until you restart the container, the fix detailed in my sig will permanently fix it, ensuring iptable_mangle module is available.

I've added your fix as per the FAQ and rebooted unraid.  I still see the same error in the log and cannot access deluge or privoxy.  If i restart the container it then works.  I'm sure this has only started happening since updating the docker recently.

2017-03-07 11:42:17,422 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host:- 'insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko'

Just now, dvd.collector said:

I've added your fix as per the FAQ and rebooted unraid.  I still see the same error in the log and cannot access deluge or privoxy.  If i restart the container it then works.  I'm sure this has only started happening since updating the docker recently.

2017-03-07 11:42:17,422 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host:- 'insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko'

hmm ok so this could be the same issue, but for the tun module too, right for now i will remove the exit, as it was loading ok even without the module being present, i wouldn't expect it to run without this module tbh, but hey maybe the host is loading it JUST before it requires it, i do have some retries in place so this might be why it works, try a pull down of the image in about 2 hours from now.

9 hours ago, binhex said:

hmm ok so this could be the same issue, but for the tun module too, right for now i will remove the exit, as it was loading ok even without the module being present, i wouldn't expect it to run without this module tbh, but hey maybe the host is loading it JUST before it requires it, i do have some retries in place so this might be why it works, try a pull down of the image in about 2 hours from now.

Thanks binhex! I've just updated this docker and it's working perfectly now