[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

I previously had this all set up and working but after recreating the container I think I'm having an issue with my DNS. I'm using BT like a few others who have reported similar issues and I was wondering if anyone knows how to manually set the DNS on a BT Home Hub 5? I've set my DNS to Google on Unraid itself but when the container starts in debug mode it is listing a few extra DNS servers that I don't recognise. After this the container stalls waiting for valid IP address from tunnel. I'm hoping it's possible to fix this without purchasing a new router. 

2017-03-14 22:01:51,732 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 37.235.1.174
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 37.235.1.177

2017-03-14 22:01:51,733 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[debug] Show name resolution for VPN endpoint 185.8.107.176

2017-03-14 22:01:51,870 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, rcode: SERVFAIL, id: 2494
;; flags: qr rd ra ; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;; 185.8.107.176. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

;; Query time: 117 msec
;; SERVER: 37.235.1.174
;; WHEN: Tue Mar 14 22:01:51 2017
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 31

5 hours ago, drogg said:

Here's what I got from AirVPN and what my app data folder looks like. Sorry if my noob is showing, just got started with Unraid!

58c82284a3ab6_ScreenShot2017-03-14at1_03_04PM.thumb.png.661422bc2630435c8b1522962d7b41da.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 1.03.34 PM.png

You need to download the AirVPN_US-Atlanta....ovpn file again but this time untick the box that splits it into 5 files. This way the singele file contains all the data you need. The strange thing is that by default the file won't get seperated, so it looks like you have ticked this option under advanced settings in the config generator.

When done copy this new file into the openvpn folder and delete all the other files.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

You need to download the AirVPN_US-Atlanta....ovpn file again but this time untick the box that splits it into 5 files. This way the singele file contains all the data you need. The strange thing is that by default the file won't get seperated, so it looks like you have ticked this option under advanced settings in the config generator.

When done copy this new file into the openvpn folder and delete all the other files.

I was under the impression that I also needed the .crt file, which is why I'd checked the Advanced Options on AirVPN. So the only file that should be in there is the generated .ovpn file and not the rest of the files made by DelugeVPN?

8 minutes ago, strike said:

You generated a new file right? Be sure to set the port and protocol to the same as when you generated the ovpn file, and also set the vpn_remote variable to the address in the opvn file.

Edit: hard refresh fixed it. Thank you so much for your help!!

Edited by drogg
On 13/03/2017 at 5:49 PM, BakedPizza said:

@ysu take a closer look at the two module warnings in the log.

Sent from my D5503

Thanks for the tip - I did manage to get the 2nd one out of the way, as it had a bit of 'help' there.

But this first one baffles me, even my google-fu has failed.  Any chance you can shed some light on this one? What/where is the "tun" module, and/or how do I get it?

2017-03-15 23:16:37,276 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] 'tun' module not available, you will not be able to connect to Deluge or Privoxy outside of your LAN
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host:- 'insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko'

9 minutes ago, ysu said:

Thanks for the tip - I did manage to get the 2nd one out of the way, as it had a bit of 'help' there.

But this first one baffles me, even my google-fu has failed.  Any chance you can shed some light on this one? What/where is the "tun" module, and/or how do I get it?

2017-03-15 23:16:37,276 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] 'tun' module not available, you will not be able to connect to Deluge or Privoxy outside of your LAN
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host:- '

the tun module is a kernel module that you need to have loaded in order for this container to create the virtual tun device used to connect to the vpn tunnel, im assuming you've tried whats suggested in the log right?:-

insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko

what os is your host running? im assuming its not unraid, as this module is already present on unraid.

edit - you need to work on your google-fu :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP

Edited by binhex

Hi.

I thought I'd tighten up my torrenting using the VPN version of deluge in conjunction with PIA.

I am a bit stumped though as I get deluge running but something is not running as it should. I get a few kb/s in download speeds and after a short while it stops, error. Tracker timed out.

I have tried replacing the files in the openvpn directory with the ones provided by PIA but as soon as I start the container the content is replaced with the old files.

1 minute ago, nodeadlykittens said:

Hi.

I thought I'd tighten up my torrenting using the VPN version of deluge in conjunction with PIA.

I am a bit stumped though as I get deluge running but something is not running as it should. I get a few kb/s in download speeds and after a short while it stops, error. Tracker timed out.

I have tried replacing the files in the openvpn directory with the ones provided by PIA but as soon as I start the container the content is replaced with the old files.

most probably your endpoint doesnt support port forwarding, what is the value for key VPN_REMOTE ?

50 minutes ago, nodeadlykittens said:

I use the default, nl.privateinternetaccess.com, which should support port forwarding. Have also tried sweden with same results.

ok in that case its not that, i would guess then thats its most probably related to how you have configured deluge, have you set the folders correctly to reference /data in the deluge web ui?

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok in that case its not that, i would guess then thats its most probably related to how you have configured deluge, have you set the folders correctly to reference /data in the deluge web ui?

I have not, I wanted to keep it neat and keep it under my "download" folder.

I have now reinstalled it and readded the downloads I tried, it works a lot better now. Thank you.

I've been using DelugeVPN for several months now with no issues. Then about a week ago all torrents starting report "error: connection refused" for all trackers. Privoxy still works and reports correct VPN IP, so I know the vpn connection is up. My basic binhex deluge container will start and make connections without any issue. Any idea what might be up?

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, nodeadlykittens said:
1 hour ago, binhex said:

have you set the folders correctly to reference /data in the deluge web ui?

I have not, I wanted to keep it neat and keep it under my "download" folder.

I take that to mean you removed the default mapping of /data, and added one for /download on the "app" side of the docker template volume mappings?

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

I take that to mean you removed the default mapping of /data, and added one for /download on the "app" side of the docker template volume mappings?

Exactly, I substituted "/mnt/cache/appdata/data" with a download share and changed the corresponding values in Deluge webgui. However much as I like my idea of neat, I prefer working which is what it is doing after restoring things to default.

9 hours ago, binhex said:

the tun module is a kernel module that you need to have loaded in order for this container to create the virtual tun device used to connect to the vpn tunnel, im assuming you've tried whats suggested in the log right?:-

insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko

what os is your host running? im assuming its not unraid, as this module is already present on unraid.

edit - you need to work on your google-fu :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP

I'm running an "Unraid Server Basic" (funny because I've purchased a licence, I'd expect it not to be basic now.)

I've not tried that command before as it was pre-fixed with [synology users] - I've tried it now, but

>insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko
>insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

I'll have a looksie at the wiki you've posted, I hope I'll be able to figure out something.  Thanks!

On 3/14/2017 at 5:06 AM, mr-hexen said:

You need the .crt file too, which you can only obtain from their website..

I use airVPN and have never used a .crt file only the ovpn file you download.

I found I had to copy the file in terminal so it would actually copy the ovpn file.

7 hours ago, ysu said:

I'm running an "Unraid Server Basic" (funny because I've purchased a licence, I'd expect it not to be basic now.)

I've not tried that command before as it was pre-fixed with [synology users] - I've tried it now, but

>insmod /lib/modules/tun.ko
>insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

I'll have a looksie at the wiki you've posted, I hope I'll be able to figure out something.  Thanks!

Hm...I've looked, and I'm lost.  If you have some insight on this one, please help.