[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

7 minutes ago, binhex said:

the usual cause of this is a router that isnt really man enough to deal with the multiple connections that torrenting can cause, unfortunately the only way to know if this is the case is to replace your router, which i can understand you dont want to do unless your sure thats the cause. 

one thing you could try is to just run a traditional torrent client NOT inside a container, just get yourself a windows pc, put deluge on it and download a well seeded iso, try and download something with lots of seeds and peers to ensure you get a lot of connections going on as this is probably the issue, if this causes the same symptoms then you know its your router.

I'll try a popular torrent as you suggest, but I doubt it's my router as I run a pfsense docker - unless I've got a pfsense setting that's causing problems

3 minutes ago, DZMM said:

unless I've got a pfsense setting that's causing problems

possible i guess, i know nothing about pfsense, other than what it's used for, all i can say with certainty is this doesn't happen for me, and as you're the first person ive seen report this im assuming this is also true for everybody else, so it has to be specific to your setup in some way, i know it can be a bitch to find out what, especially in a complex system, good luck.

Edited by binhex
21 minutes ago, binhex said:

possible i guess, i know nothing about pfsense, other than what it's used for, all i can say with certainty is this doesn't happen for me, and as you're the first person ive seen report this im assuming this is also true for everybody else, so it has to be specific to your setup in some way, i know it can be a bitch to find out what, especially in a complex system, good luck.

Ok, I've just tried some slackware torrents in deluge windows and the non-vpn docker and it's flying with no problems.  I think airvpn is causing my problems - what port does the VPN use?  Is it 1194?

Just now, DZMM said:

Ok, I've just tried some slackware torrents in deluge windows and the non-vpn docker and it's flying with no problems.  I think airvpn is causing my problems - what port does the VPN use?  Is it 1194?

if your on about the vpn endpoint port then it wll be in the ovpn file, if your talking about the incoming port then this wiil be dependant on the port you specified.

1 hour ago, binhex said:

if your on about the vpn endpoint port then it wll be in the ovpn file, if your talking about the incoming port then this wiil be dependant on the port you specified.

thx.  443 is already open and forwarded to my server so that's not it.  I'll ping airvpn as I've been having DNS problems with them which I know think is related.

Thanks for the help

Update:

I signed up for the 7 day trial with PIA and it worked perfectly.  So, I went back to Airvpn and it's been working fine for the last 45 mins or so.  The only change I made was to delete an unused forwarded port from my airvpn account so that only the one I need for torrents is live - I'm guessing that something was wrong with the forwarded airvpn ports.

Edited by DZMM
added update
On 19/09/2017 at 11:35 AM, gridrunner said:

@binhex lol, damn you and always  improving these great containers !! :)  Should have the new guide video up by the weekend but I'm off to EGX 2017 on Thursday, so weekend may be Sunday night...well that's still the weekend 

@binhex Ok its not Sunday but the new video for Deluge VPN is now uploaded :)

How to Install and Setup Deluge - VPN on unRAID -- updated video September 27 2017

• Like 2
23 hours ago, binhex said:

this would be your problem, germany does not support port forwarding, and thus your speeds will be VERY low, you need to connect to a endpoint that does support port forwarding, see here Q7.:-

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=433613

Thank you for your reply! I checked it thoroughly and it's still slow.

• Incoming port not defined correctly
    I added STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes to my docker-compose.yml. My server is specically located in east Germany so I changed to the Swiss VPN.
  • Upload rate set too high/unlimited
    I did a speedtest to a speedtest.net server located in the same city as my server, and the upload is 264 Mbit/s. So I've set the upload speed in Deluge Web to 190000 Kib/s, which is about 195 Mbit/s, which again is 3/4 of the max upload, as instructed. Not sure if this is practically still too high?
  • Rate limit overhead enabled (deluge specific)
    Allready unticked
  • VPN endpoint has low bandwidth
    I changed from Switzerland to the Netherlands because they have more servers/bandwidth. Slightly faster, but still slow.
  • Highly fragmented disk
    I have new enterprise HDD's, so shouldn't be a problem.
  • Name Resolution not working
    I've set NAME_SERVERS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 (Google) already.

This is what my docker-compose.yml looks like. I've disabled Use Random Ports for incoming and outgoing and set a range manually in Deluge Web. That's why I added them to the ports sections of docker-compose.yml.

3 minutes ago, Rourke said:

I've disabled Use Random Ports for incoming and outgoing and set a range manually in Deluge Web. That's why I added them to the ports sections of docker-compose.yml.

dont do this, if you have a vpn tunnel running then it will NOT use any ports you specify via docker-compose, keep in mind all traffic is sent/received over the tunnel, just set them back to random ports for incoming and outgoing.

9 minutes ago, Rourke said:

So I've set the upload speed in Deluge Web to 190000 Kib/s

i cant remember, but i had a feeling the deluge webui allows you to specify the value in Bytes not bits? if so you should be dividing by 8 your upload rate.

12 minutes ago, binhex said:

dont do this, if you have a vpn tunnel running then it will NOT use any ports you specify via docker-compose, keep in mind all traffic is sent/received over the tunnel, just set them back to random ports for incoming and outgoing.

i cant remember, but i had a feeling the deluge webui allows you to specify the value in Bytes not bits? if so you should be dividing by 8 your upload rate.

Ah I got that wrong then. My bad. I've enabled Use Random Ports again, and it seems to go on expected speeds.

The upload speed is Kib/s by the way:

image.png.30283269caba7050f23f0cf188e2aaec.png

I just ran it through Google and got this result:

image.png.3efb6a3ce99ee5809d023c7334af01a7.png

I'll test it for a while to see if everything's alright now. Thanks for your help!

@binhex

Wanted to continue our previous conversation in the proper thread.

Squid has shared a script for his user scripts plugin which will run a custom command at parity check start/stop. I can't use the deluge scheduler plugin to pause torrents since it uses a weekly schedule and my parity checks are monthly, but I could run this on parity check start-

docker pause binhex-delugevpn

and then this on parity check completion-

docker unpause binhex-delugevpn

Any thoughts? Is my syntax correct? Have you tested pausing the docker?

12 minutes ago, supras4 said:

Hi All,

I understand this wasn't designed to be run on Qnap, but through the Container Station I think I've gotten...close. I just can't seem to login to the WebUI on the LAN and am unsure of the errors being thrown and it seems I'm stuck in a loop with updating Deluge for an IP change...any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

supervisord (1).log

lan_network is incorrect:-

LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.1.23/24'

take a look here at Q5. for how to define it:- 

I have a problem my deluge client doesent go through the open port atleast the torrent site superbits.org says that the port is closed. So how do i fix this? also the incoming port in deluge changes every time i restart it even though i dont have random port box checked but outgoing port is the same all the time what can be wrong?

Thanks in advance 

installed every thing as in this video 

3 hours ago, Raczo said:

I have a problem my deluge client doesent go through the open port atleast the torrent site superbits.org says that the port is closed. So how do i fix this? also the incoming port in deluge changes every time i restart it even though i dont have random port box checked but outgoing port is the same all the time what can be wrong?

Thanks in advance 

installed every thing as in this video 

Who are you using as a VPN provider?

3 minutes ago, mattmill said:

i have attatched my supervisor log and a screenshot of what files i get from mullvad when i download the linux configuration.

ovpn.png

supervisord.log

please re-run again following the procedure below, i need to have debug on:-

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=435831

but spotted first mistake, you have VPN_PROV set to airvpn?, you're not using airvpn. please set this to custom, then do the above procedure.

2 minutes ago, mattmill said:

Heres the supervisor log with debug on.

supervisord.log

it looks like the ovpn file is referencing some up/down scripts, which dont exist and aren't needed, please edit the ovpn file and remove the two lines:-

up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

then save and restart the container, if its still causing an issue then repeat the log with debug on and post.