[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Ah, I know something which has changed ... I noted that you'd put up a new version of CouchPotato, which seems to have fixed the problem with the IMDB interface, so I now have that container running alongside radar and jacket. I wonder whether those could be conflicting in some way?

Since stopping the radar and jacket containers, I've not seen transfers through the vpn tunnel fail.  I will continue to monitor.

Is it possible that there could be some untoward interaction between the CP, radar, jacket and delugevpn containers?

Ooops, spoke too soon.  Deluge transfers just dropped to zero briefly.

Edited by PeterB
20 hours ago, PeterB said:

What puzzles me is that the transfers through the tunnel cycle from zero, to max (50Mb/s) at something like ten minute intervals.  When deluge transfers are at zero, my Kodi box, using privoxy, also cannot access themoviedb.org.

This is completely as designed, if the vpn tunnel goes down then all downloads through that tunnel will cease, its completely secured using iptables to prevent ip leakage, thus the drop to 0, then i have code in to detect if the tunnel is up, if its not then it will attempt to re-establish, which it looks like it manages to do, thus your speeds ramp back up to max again, and so the cycle continues, obviously privoxy is also affected by this and will behave in the same manner as its going down the same tunnel as deluge.

One thing you could look at is to ensure you are not flooding your upload rate, if you do not restrict this then you will have issues that will affect your stability of the tunnel, my recommendation would be to crank this down to around 75% of your max upload rate.

since i have upgraded my very poor ISP bundled router/firewall/wifi box to a pfsense minipc(somewhat overkill) i have seen very stable VPN torrents. Before i found that it would peak then drop for awhile.

Iam almost certain it was the poor devices lack of power to route the encrypted traffic consistently. AES-256-CBC with multiple connections @ 20mbit/s troughput.

Edited by raidserver

Deluge has been working great for me for a while now, until yesterday. I noticed last night that all network activity had stopped. Restarted the docker and it seemed to fix the problem. Checked when I got home from work today and no network activity again. I restarted the docker and seems to be working now, but something must be causing this. The only change I have made is to replace the UD mounted drive that I use or /data. Not sure how that could be related though. The host path and drive format is the same.

deluged.log.txt

Hi

I'm trying to connect to vyprvpn (giganews), but no matter what I try, I get AUTH_FAILED.

I have triple checked that my user and pass is correct and that it is only [a-zA-Z0-9].

I also checked that the same user and pass, works with there own openvpn client, it does. (so I have also paid ).

The credentials.conf is created like it should and file permissions looks great in config/openvpn (Maybe a little too good, for my taste, but maybe i'm to strict :-) ).

I got the .ovpn file strait from there site  and for me everything looks right in the log, except for auth_failed.

I have also tried the connection in a ubuntu server vm with openvpn and that also works fine (didn't use the .ovpn file, but a conf file with the same settings, I used this vm before, but now I like to use docker instead)

Any ideas?

supervisord.log

docker-compose.yml

8 hours ago, supremebot said:

I'm trying to connect to vyprvpn

As far as I can find, it doesn't look like they support port forwarding, which means torrents will not seed properly, and you probably will have VERY poor speeds even if you get it working. I recommend PIA, it's well supported and works.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:15 PM, wgstarks said:

Deluge has been working great for me for a while now, until yesterday. I noticed last night that all network activity had stopped. Restarted the docker and it seemed to fix the problem. Checked when I got home from work today and no network activity again. I restarted the docker and seems to be working now, but something must be causing this. The only change I have made is to replace the UD mounted drive that I use or /data. Not sure how that could be related though. The host path and drive format is the same.

deluged.log.txt

Looks like this must have been related to the snort plugin on my pfsense box. I installed it a few days ago. It was set to not block any traffic. Just generate alerts and only for malicious traffic. I uninstalled the snort plugin and now my Deluge docker is working fine. Maybe I need to look at other pfsense plugins? Any suggestions?

On 06/01/2018 at 8:41 PM, Kir said:

Is it possible that despite proper proxy settings, Deluge would still leak IP address?

if you are using deluge socks proxy to protect yourself then yeah it can leak ip address info, that was one the reasons that motivated me to create delugevpn, as a vpn tunnel does protect you if correctly secured using iptables.

9 hours ago, binhex said:

if you are using deluge socks proxy to protect yourself then yeah it can leak ip address info, that was one the reasons that motivated me to create delugevpn, as a vpn tunnel does protect you if correctly secured using iptables.

Well, my VPN provider doesn't support incoming port forwarding, and they suggest using Socks instead, so alas...

10 minutes ago, Kir said:

I know we are getting OT, but having a US based VPN provider is worse than not having one at all, IMHO.

They maybe US based, but they have a proven track record of zero logging, even telling the FBI to bugger off - https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/ when data was requested, but hey whatever your comfy with, basically any VPN provider will work, but for top speeds as you've found out you need a vpn provider that supports port forwarding, take a look at airvpn and see if that fits the bill for you.

I have this image working with PureVPN, and can access sites through the Amsterdam p2p endpoint. Privoxy is working correctly — using an IP checker site shows that my IP is located in Amsterdam, and I can access sites that are normally IP-blocked in the UK.

However, Deluge refuses to connect and download anything — all torrents just sit at "downloading 0.00%" and all trackers time out.

If I attempt to add a Ubuntu distro it claims it's unable to download the .torrent file — I can only use Magnet links to add something. But even those torrents won't start, as they can't find the trackers. I can download a blocklist from the link in the Spaceinvader One video, but then the trackers come up with "blocked by IP filter" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Without the blocklist, I get things like "coppersurfer.tk: host not found (authoritative)".

If I connect my desktop system to the VPN and use Transmission, I can connect to the trackers just fine, and the download starts.

Does anybody know what could be going wrong here?

The log contains the following lines:

2018-01-10 14:33:21,039 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Wed Jan 10 14:33:21 2018 ERROR: Linux route add command failed: external program exited with error status: 2

but unhelpfully it does not say what the 'route add' command actually was. I can't find where this start-script is defined to have a look at it, either. But it seems a little odd that everything works fine through the VPN except Deluge!

Edited by ElectricBadger
added log excerpt