[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

18 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok lets get some info for starters:-

1. are you using the built in privoxy? if so are you using it for any other torrent clients? I am NOT currently using provoxy flag.

2. how did you download the torrent/magnet link? if its just via browser then did you use privoxy or over your standard connection? Remote Desktop to my VM, which has VPN plugin activated (and confirmed working), copied link from ipleak and pasted into local windows client that reported back to ipleak. All looked good there, the website also showed what my VPN client was showing.

3. what dns are you using for the container?, is it your isp''s dns or the defaults? Defaults

4. do you have any other torrent clients running anywhere on your LAN, check there are no other torrent clients running on any other hosts. I am 100% certain this is the only client with any sort of torrenting job. I do have Sonarr and Radarr for grabbing. I do have a stopped instance of raw deluge, but it was not set to autostart and my uptime was over 90 days at the time of the download.

5. have you configured deluge to socks proxy? Unsure, probably no? I downloaded the .ovpn file from my VPN vendor and placed in the config/openvpn/ location. It is finding it and showing it correctly setting the VPN_PORT. I don't see anywhere where by socks profile has been used in the logs.

6. does your vpn provider log?, who is your vpn provider? I'd prefer not to say, but they are reputable and have confirmed that they DO NOT log. I'm more than willing to message you them if you think that may be a concern? It's not one of two "preferred" VPN's.

in answer to your question, yes there is built in protection via iptables, it doesnt matter if the vpn tunnel is up, down or initialising, you are always protected.

See responses above. Thanks for responding so quickly. I suspect the socks might be the issue?

Edited by kreene1987
4 hours ago, binhex said:

To reassure everyone, this issue looks to be resolved via PM, i don't want to go into too much detail but i don't believe there is any ip leakage from this image.

Yes thank you so much binhex. I'll let you guys know if any further mail shows up, but for now everything seems to be working as expected.

Lesson learned: USE the privoxy for your meta gathering apps!

On 1/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, binhex said:

are you using the built in privoxy? if so are you using it for any other torrent clients

Not that I’ve had any issues, but I could not figure out what proxy settings to use in Deluge, Radarr and Sonarr when I first set them up so I left them disabled. What settings should I be using?

Edit: Really just the deluge app. If I set http, IP and port in the proxy settings I get about a 40%(ish) speed drop and lots of tracker errors. Maybe this is normal???

Edited by wgstarks
17 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Not that I’ve had any issues, but I could not figure out what proxy settings to use in Deluge, Radarr and Sonarr when I first set them up so I left them disabled. What settings should I be using?

Edit: Really just the deluge app. If I set http, IP and port in the proxy settings I get about a 40%(ish) speed drop and lots of tracker errors. Maybe this is normal???

hehe its like chinese whispers here :-), all i was asking was does kreene1987 have a proxy set in deluge, just to give me as much detail as possible, you should NOT be setting proxy for DelugeVPN, this will significantly slow things down (as you've found out) and add zero additional protection.

What you DO need to set if you want 100% protection from ISP monitoring is to set the proxy setting for every metadata downloader you use (sickrage, sonarr, radarr etc), to point at the running Privoxy instance (once enabled), again do NOT set Deluge to use Privoxy, if you want to achieve this then it doesn't get better than following the excellent youtube video from spaceinvader:-

a few hours ago delugevpn was working fine (albeit a bit slower than usual). I then restarted my server to install a new drive and my torrents dont download anymore. I can still access the webgui but each torrent keeps timing out when trying to establish a connection

I saw that a few people have this issue and I think I've addressed most of those problems (e.g. ensuring LAN_NETWORK is correct, changing /data to /download) but I still cant download anything. Whats weird is that is was fine before I restarted, and I didn't change any of the deluge settings or update the container prior to the restart. It just stopped working all of a sudden

Here are my deluge settings, ports and mappings:

zJ31RBx.png

QErkTRV.png

Do those settings look correct? 

9 minutes ago, Nem said:

a few hours ago delugevpn was working fine (albeit a bit slower than usual). I then restarted my server to install a new drive and my torrents dont download anymore. I can still access the webgui but each torrent keeps timing out when trying to establish a connection

I saw that a few people have this issue and I think I've addressed most of those problems (e.g. ensuring LAN_NETWORK is correct, changing /data to /download) but I still cant download anything. Whats weird is that is was fine before I restarted, and I didn't change any of the deluge settings or update the container prior to the restart. It just stopped working all of a sudden

Here are my deluge settings, ports and mappings:

zJ31RBx.png

QErkTRV.png

Do those settings look correct? 

yes, please do the following, need to see the log:-

38 minutes ago, Nem said:

ive attached my log file

supervisord.log

ok so you def do have dns resolution issues there, i see airvpn send a dhcp option to set the dns client to use their dns, i wonder if they also block dns resolution using other name servers, hmmm. 

ok try this, create a new env variable with key name NAME_SERVERS and set the value to '10.4.0.1', this is airvpn's name server.

this forum search function isn't great, so a search for slow speeds and slow downloads wasn't very helpful.

So, I've got terrible satellite internet, and go over my data every month.  But, they do allow me my 'normal' speeds during the day, when the network isn't busy.  My download speed is 12 Mbps, and 1 Mbps upload.  I just ran a test and got 9 Mbps down and 1 Mbps upload, which is typical during the day here.

I have felt my download speeds were very slow with Deluge for some time, but just kinda ignored it, but now it's annoyed me enough to try to 'fix' it.  I know part of the issue will be available seeds, so I went to a torrent site and just grabbed something with over 3000 seeds, so it should be about as fast as it will get.  I watched it climb to about 400 KiB/s, then settle into a more normal for me 125 KiB/s.

I assume this isn't normal and I should be able to get better speeds than this.  With SABnzbdVPN docker I get 1.2MB/s regularly.  I just added something as a test and SAB has leveled off at about 700-800 KB/s.

both are using the same VPN settings.  I included screenshots of the SAB and deluge docker setups and also the deluge bandwidth settings. I think I have it setup right from what I've read here, but it seems something isn't right.

any advice appreciated.

sab docker setup.jpg

deluge docker setup.jpg

deluge settings.jpg

22 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I improved my speeds a great deal by using a drive mounted outside the array for /downloads. You won’t have parity protection for your torrents but that didn’t really matter for my setup.

I have them set to go to my SSD Cache drive.  I guess I could send them to the unassigned SSD I use for my VM's as a test.  Hopefully someone else sees something else I'm not doing right.

I looked at the supervisord.log and it keeps saying "random port = False" which someone said is bad, but I've enabled/checked random incoming ports in the deluge interface settings several times, and it always looks like it's accepted the check, but when i restart the docker, it's back to not being checked.  Not sure how that's happening.

20 minutes ago, JustinChase said:

looked at the supervisord.log and it keeps saying "random port = False" which someone said is bad, but I've enabled/checked random incoming ports in the deluge interface settings several times, and it always looks like it's accepted the check, but when i restart the docker, it's back to not being checked.  Not sure how that's happening.

This is really only a guess on my part, but it may be because you have specified a port in the docker configuration. I know I don’t have this variable in my configuration.

11 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

This is really only a guess on my part, but it may be because you have specified a port in the docker configuration. I know I don’t have this variable in my configuration.

do you mean this entry?

Key 6:     Container Variable: VPN_PORT   1198

I don't remember adding that, i thought it was part of the template.

Perhaps I need to just kill this container altogether and restart from scratch.  Although, it seems I have it set right, that seems drastic.

2 hours ago, JustinChase said:

So, I've got terrible satellite internet,

I think maybe your issue is more related to latency than throughput. When you ask for a chunk of data, it takes 10X or more of the time to acknowledge and start transmitting than a normal terrestrial connection. The block sizes and the way torrents negotiate connections is the likely culprit for the lack of speed.

Maybe look into cell data service options? The pricing in some areas is quite competitive to satellite, and the speeds can be much better due to way less latency.

30 minutes ago, JustinChase said:

I kinda figured once the connection is handled, the latency is absorbed (it's all delayed, but stays steady). 

That's true for some types of transfers, but not torrents. Each individual block is almost a whole new connection latency wise, especially since you may jump from peer to peer for  each new block, and each block is verified complete.

13 hours ago, binhex said:

ok so you def do have dns resolution issues there, i see airvpn send a dhcp option to set the dns client to use their dns, i wonder if they also block dns resolution using other name servers, hmmm. 

ok try this, create a new env variable with key name NAME_SERVERS and set the value to '10.4.0.1', this is airvpn's name server.

@binhex so I took a look at deluge again this morning and it was downloading again without me having changed anything. So the problem seems a bit random, but as of right now everythings seems OK

if I make the change you suggested I cant connect at all. I keep seeing the following:

2018-01-26 17:51:50,560 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Fri Jan 26 17:51:50 2018 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: europe.vpn.airdns.org:443 (Name or service not known)
Fri Jan 26 17:51:50 2018 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: europe.vpn.airdns.org:443 (Name or service not known)
Fri Jan 26 17:51:50 2018 Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol

plus, the solution seems a bit inflexible. what if their DNS servers change? Im wondering if theres a more flexible solution that wouldn't require manual intervention when something changes on their end

Hey guys,

I'm struggling getting connectable. Both porttest.net and canyouseeme says I'm invisible, in addition to the trackers that I'm using. 

So my Deluge-settings looks like this:

5a6da177eb966_ScreenShot2018-01-28at11_07_20.png.74fad9252df85d72b38ce312f8407d00.png

My router (Unifi USG with UPNP disabled) like this:

5a6da1a9554ae_ScreenShot2018-01-28at11_10_09.png.e6678e24c16b601b93d327f1da6ae1d5.png

*Note this type of port-forwarding works for other services like Letsencrypt/Plex.

And my docker:

5a6da1d222894_ScreenShot2018-01-28at11_11_03.png.cc7206c2c938d25c681b6a3114242c14.png

I'm running latest Unraid with latest docker (non-vpn). I've also tried moving the docker to br0 with a static, separate IP, without any luck.

I'd love some pointers on where I'm going wrong. 

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can solve the WebGUI not working properly? There seems to be a number of Javascript errors being thrown and I'm not sure of the root cause or even how to investigate. I've attached an image showing the issue. 

image.png

EDIT: I found the issue. I have Radarr let up, and there was several corrupt files, so it was sending over the same file over and over and over, causing an error.

Edited by J_Hizzal
Fixed the issue.

I'm having the same issue. After a few hours the daemon will crash. The web ui is still accessible, but nothing like Sonarr or Radarr can connect to it. Also nothing will appear in the GUI like in your picture. Restarting the docker helps, as does restarting the daemon. Not sure what's wrong but it's been happening for about a month now. Really frustrating.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fredrick said:

Hey guys,

I'm struggling getting connectable. Both porttest.net and canyouseeme says I'm invisible, in addition to the trackers that I'm using. 

So my Deluge-settings looks like this:

5a6da177eb966_ScreenShot2018-01-28at11_07_20.png.74fad9252df85d72b38ce312f8407d00.png

My router (Unifi USG with UPNP disabled) like this:

5a6da1a9554ae_ScreenShot2018-01-28at11_10_09.png.e6678e24c16b601b93d327f1da6ae1d5.png

*Note this type of port-forwarding works for other services like Letsencrypt/Plex.

And my docker:

5a6da1d222894_ScreenShot2018-01-28at11_11_03.png.cc7206c2c938d25c681b6a3114242c14.png

I'm running latest Unraid with latest docker (non-vpn). I've also tried moving the docker to br0 with a static, separate IP, without any luck.

I'd love some pointers on where I'm going wrong. 

I am using DelugeVPN and connect without issue.  For comparison, here are my settings (none of which I modified, they are all the defaults):

image.png.9bb1f4d4c757c35807f4091b28bcff79.png

Note:  Incoming Ports: Use Random Ports is not checked and it is not necessary to set it to the port variables specified in the docker setup. Outgoing Ports: Use Random ports is selected, but no ports are specified.  You have nothing in the Network Interface and I suspect this is a problem.

image.png.9eb9554820a11f045664ad7cbc75d5f1.png

These are default docker settings, I modified nothing.

I also have a Ubiquiti USG router and it is not necessary to set any port forwarding rules for Deluge. I have set some port forwarding rules for OpenVPN and Plex, but nothing for Deluge.

I don't know of this will help, but, it comes from my working setup and there are several differences. 

Note: I do not have an IP address assigned to this docker.  It is using the same IP as  the unRAID server.

• Like 1