[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

8 hours ago, strike said:

If you haven't done so already, limit your upload to about 80% of what your connection can handle. If you don't put a cap on your upload it will "overload" your network causing lower download speed and higher ping. This should be done regardless of the client you're using.

Yeah that didn't seem to do anything. This isn't a problem effecting my bandwidth I can download normally and use everything normally it's just causing huge ping times. I've never really bothered to limit my upload in other clients and have never experienced this issue. Even desktop deluge hasn't caused this issue which is why I'm thinking it's something to do with this docker.

The docker container works fine. Have you tried turning on/off or adjusting QoS on your router? Also if you're on 6.5 stable or 6.5.1 RC 1 try upgrading to the latest RC. There have been many issues related to docker and LT has downgraded the docker version in the latest RC. Do you have many torrents in deluge? Deluge doesn't work that well with lots of torrents, there have been many reports of that. Maybe that's your issue. Although I've never seen anyone report huge ping times because of that. 

44 minutes ago, strike said:

The docker container works fine. Have you tried turning on/off or adjusting QoS on your router? Also if you're on 6.5 stable or 6.5.1 RC 1 try upgrading to the latest RC. There have been many issues related to docker and LT has downgraded the docker version in the latest RC. Do you have many torrents in deluge? Deluge doesn't work that well with lots of torrents, there have been many reports of that. Maybe that's your issue. Although I've never seen anyone report huge ping times because of that. 

My router doesn't have qos settings so unless it's doing something automatically I don't think that would come into play. I'll try upgrading to the latest RC but I was having the same issue in RC 3. I only have around 20-30 torrents in deluge I've comfortably ran over 400 torrents in deluge before yeah it would slow down but never flood my network like this. What's really strange about it is that it doesn't effect external ping times. My ping times to google for instance remain around 30 ms whereas pings to my router or other computers on my local network are varying anywhere from 1ms up to around 600. Like I said running the exact same version of deluge with the same torrents on my desktop isn't causing this issue so it's definitely not an issue with deluge.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:46 AM, binhex said:

there is nothing wrong with that, a successful start, it got both the external ip and incoming port, the only issue you have is that you have multiple ovpn files in /config/openvpn/ so delete all the ovpn files apart from the one you want to connect to.

Having the same issue I think. Cant' access webui. Only one ovpn in the folder (Netherlands, which has port forwarding). Mind having a look?

supervisord.log

Hey guys, I know a lot of you are having issues with PIA and getting deluge running at all - I have a different question though: How can I make sure I am maximizing my download and upload speed with deluge?

I have a 400x20 connection at home, I know that running a VPN will slow traffic down, and that the swarm quality determines the max download speed.

However, it seems I can play with the settings and get anywhere from 3-5MBs down and never any more. AFAIK PIA should perform faster than that so I am just wondering if you guys have any suggestions about tweaking settings in the deluge client to maximize performance?

14 minutes ago, sirelewop14 said:

However, it seems I can play with the settings and get anywhere from 3-5MBs down and never any more. AFAIK PIA should perform faster than that so I am just wondering if you guys have any suggestions about tweaking settings in the deluge client to maximize performance?

This isn’t really an answer to your question, but the location you are downloading to can also have some effect. I was able to boost my speeds slightly by downloading to a UD mount (outside the parity protected array). Since I copy completed downloads to my array I don’t really need parity protection for the download directory.

2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

This isn’t really an answer to your question, but the location you are downloading to can also have some effect. I was able to boost my speeds slightly by downloading to a UD mount (outside the parity protected array). Since I copy completed downloads to my array I don’t really need parity protection for the download directory.

I usually download to my cache drive, so I am not sure that the array speed is the issue. Only very large files do I direct straight to the array to avoid filling the cache drive.

2 hours ago, sirelewop14 said:

so I am just wondering if you guys have any suggestions about tweaking settings in the deluge client to maximize performance?

I'll just quote myself from the post a bit further up. This applies in your case as well:

On 4/6/2018 at 6:23 AM, strike said:

If you haven't done so already, limit your upload to about 80% of what your connection can handle. If you don't put a cap on your upload it will "overload" your network causing lower download speed and higher ping. This should be done regardless of the client you're using.

Also try different endpoints as this can make the biggest difference. The NL endpoint was long considered to be the fastest one but since they dropped that from the port forwarding list I don't know anymore. And I'm not using PIA anymore so I can't really test, I was a long time user tho. I would try France or Germany maybe. 

You can also see Q5 in this post for more tips: https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=433613

35 minutes ago, strike said:

I'll just quote myself from the post a bit further up. This applies in your case as well:

Also try different endpoints as this can make the biggest difference. The NL endpoint was long considered to be the fastest one but since they dropped that from the port forwarding list I don't know anymore. And I'm not using PIA anymore so I can't really test, I was a long time user tho. I would try France or Germany maybe. 

You can also see Q5 in this post for more tips: https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=433613

My issue isn't speeds I am using one of the port forwarded endpoints I'm having a completely different issue.

43 minutes ago, strike said:

OK, I did have my upload set to unlimited and I have reduced it now, so that does seem to help but it seems I am hitting 5.0MB/s down and sticking there - almost looks like throttling?

EDIT:

I applied a profile called High Performance Seed from ITConfig Plugin and restarted docker. I am now getting 8-10MB/s down which is fine with me.

I think there was a port forwarding issue as one of the settings showed "Use random ports"

Edited by sirelewop14
Update
33 minutes ago, Chaos_Therum said:

I'm having a completely different issue

Btw have you tried reducing the number of connections in deluge? It could be that your router is having trouble with that many connections. If so it should be affecting other clients as well, and you said other clients work fine. Shot in the dark, but hey, it's worth a shot.

The thing that's puzzling me is you said it's only local machines that are affected. And pinging any remote IP's is normal..  

2 minutes ago, sirelewop14 said:

The Romania one, I switched the other day when Netherlands stopped working.

I would definitely recommend trying different endpoint's and check which is better. I would take a guess and say France or Germany is performing better. Just a guess of course 

I've been having troubles with delugevpn for a couple of weeks.  Not sure if it's working.  I've re-installed a couple of times as well as  downgraded to various version that had  previously worked.  I grabbed a new ovpn file just in case my provider changed something.  I also tried several endpoints No luck.  I can't get into the webui.  Never had issues before.  Could you please look at my log and see if there is a problem?  I'm new at this and don't know what to look for.

Thanks.

supervisord.log

1 hour ago, strike said:

Btw have you tried reducing the number of connections in deluge? It could be that your router is having trouble with that many connections. If so it should be affecting other clients as well, and you said other clients work fine. Shot in the dark, but hey, it's worth a shot.

The thing that's puzzling me is you said it's only local machines that are affected. And pinging any remote IP's is normal.. 

Yeah that is by far the most confusing thing to me as well. I generally run my clients with somewhere between 150 to 200 connections. I limited Deluge down to 50 and it's still causing the issue while still not causing and external latency. I have a hard time accessing my router admin panel and unraid due to the latency but I can play online games without any latency or at least no more than is usual ie 30ms. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.

28 minutes ago, ZoZat said:

I've been having troubles with delugevpn for a couple of weeks.  Not sure if it's working.  I've re-installed a couple of times as well as  downgraded to various version that had  previously worked.  I grabbed a new ovpn file just in case my provider changed something.  I also tried several endpoints No luck.  I can't get into the webui.  Never had issues before.  Could you please look at my log and see if there is a problem?  I'm new at this and don't know what to look for.

Thanks.

supervisord.log

If you edit the atlanta ovpn file and replace "gw1.atl3.slickvpn.com" with  "23.239.17.108" can you reach the webui then? Stop the container first of course. You seem to have some trouble with name resolution.

also add udp to the remote line so it looks like this: "remote gw1.atl3.slickvpn.com 443 udp"

Edit: please post a new debug log if it doesn't work. From the log you posted earlier there were issues determining the protocol 

and yeah you might wanna try the IP insted of the hostname "remote 23.239.17.108 443 udp"

You may also have to remove/comment this line after adding udp to the remote line

"proto udp"

Edited by strike