[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

44 minutes ago, hmtran said:

Are this on my unraid  (dns client - thus ref to port 53) or on my router? if on my unraid how do i fix it?

that depends on how you have things setup, if unraid is set with a static ip and NOT using DHCP then you will need to configure unraid, on the other hand if unraid is using DHCP and you are pushing options to it (including dns) then you will need to configure your router (assuming your router hands out DHCP leases)

if unraid is using a static ip, then your best bet is to ask in the general support section, as its outside the scope of this thread.

Edited by binhex
2 hours ago, binhex said:

assuming the log still shows "auth failed" and not something else (correct?) then the ONLY reason this message is shown is due to authentication failure, i have seen this 3 or 4 times in this thread over the years and EVERY time its due to incorrect credentials, password with special characters, or the account has been de-activated (due to lapsed payment, double check this!).

@binhex  to your questions

yes I am still getting the same error.   I have gone through and remove all special characters from my password and it only has Numbers and Characrers.

I have tested my new password on my windows 7 PIA client and also in OpenVPN on my Raspberry and both connect with PIA with no issues.

would a copy of my debug log file help with the username password help if I PM it to yourself ?

1 minute ago, chris_netsmart said:

@binhex  to your questions

yes I am still getting the same error.   I have gone through and remove all special characters from my password and it only has Numbers and Characrers.

I have tested my new password on my windows 7 PIA client and also in OpenVPN on my Raspberry and both connect with PIA with no issues.

would a copy of my debug log file help with the username password help if I PM it to yourself ?

you can send me the log with debug turned on but i very much doubt it wll tell me much more, an auth fail is just what it says it is really, feel free though. im assuming you have tried another endpoint to ensure its not that, right?.

For my own notes for when i look back at this:-

2 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

yes I am still getting the same error. 

The above turned out to be somewhat not exactly true 🙂 the issue had now become trying to connect to an endpoint that didnt support port forwarding with STRICT_PORT_FORWARD set to 'yes', im sure the inital issue WAS authentication though.

• Like 1

with the help of binhex. I have been able to get my Deluge to work.  Thanks again for your help.

I am now having issue with connection my Windows Deluge to my Unraid Deluge as I would like to add the IPmagnet torrent to it to check on the VPN, but I am being asked for a username and password, when I am trying to add the host.

as anything know the details ?

Capture.JPG

49 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

with the help of binhex. I have been able to get my Deluge to work.  Thanks again for your help.

I am now having issue with connection my Windows Deluge to my Unraid Deluge as I would like to add the IPmagnet torrent to it to check on the VPN, but I am being asked for a username and password, when I am trying to add the host.

as anything know the details ?

Capture.JPG

It’s been a while, but I think this is correct as long as you haven’t changed the defaults (not positive about Username)-

Hostname=IP of server

Username=admin

Password=deluge

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient#ClientSetup1

Edited by wgstarks
Corrected Username
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

It’s been a while, but I think this is correct as long as you haven’t changed the defaults (not positive about Username)-

Hostname=IP of server

Username=admin

Password=deluge 

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient#ClientSetup1

hi wgstarks.  I just tried your advice with the username and password and, sadly it didn't work.

I also tried      user, root and leaving it blank and that didn't work :-(

19 hours ago, binhex said:

i can see the openvpn process is terminated, no obvious reasons why, perhaps give your qnap box a full system restart.

Thanks @binhex. Still nothing. OpenVPN dies after 30s when everything seems fine. I'd like to try and modify the openvpn start command to log-append to somewhere. Or does this "--log-append /dev/stdout " log to my supervisord.log? Maybe try some -e VPN_OPTIONS ?

Edited by WarezMonkey
13 hours ago, WarezMonkey said:

Thanks @binhex. Still nothing. OpenVPN dies after 30s when everything seems fine. I'd like to try and modify the openvpn start command to log-append to somewhere. Or does this "--log-append /dev/stdout " log to my supervisord.log? Maybe try some -e VPN_OPTIONS ?

you can certainly have a play with VPN_OPTIONS, this is one of the scenarios where it might come in handy, maybe you could turn the logs up for openvpn, i have a feeling though that this prob wont expose the real issue as i dont believe its an openvpn problem, more likely something on your system is killing the process. 

have a look in your system log for qnap, look out for oom_killer kicking in, is your system low on available ram?.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:39 PM, scubieman said:

DelugeVPN keeps removing my plugin "simply extractor" and reverting back to "extractor"

Could the plugin version be incompatible with the version of Deluge that you're running? I recently ran into the problem of a pluggin/egg file (Copy Completed) not installing via Web GUI and the version that SpaceInvaderOne had was one version newer than the one I pulled from the Deluge site/forums.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:46 AM, wgstarks said:

Plugins should be installed in appdata/binhex-delugevpn/plugins/.

In the past I’ve had issues with plugin settings reverting to defaults (I believe this is/was a Deluge issue) but never had plugins completely disappear.

@scubieman What method did you use to install the plugin?

1. Not sure if this will help solve the issue, but try making your changes to the preferences using the Web GUI and Apply/OK them.
  2. Next, go Connection Manager > Disconnect > Reconnect > Stop Daemon > Start Daemon
  3. Stop/Start the Deluge docker

I was running into an issue of the Plugin's settings were not being saved after stopping and starting the Deluge docker. Doing this, seemed to help me and I got the idea from here.

Initially, I thought it might be a permissions issue as this was showing up in my log:

WARNING: file 'credentials.conf' is group or others accessible

So, I deleted the perms.txt file thinking that would solve the issue.

I also, understood not to run the  New Permissions  (Located under Tools > New Permissions) on the /appdata directory as it will have a negative impact on any Docker containers — so, I didn't run New Permissions.

Note that this tool may negatively affect any docker containers if you allow your appdata share to be included.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Added possible insight on installing Deluge plugins
  • Upvote 1
On 1/14/2019 at 9:42 AM, binhex said:

that depends on how you have things setup, if unraid is set with a static ip and NOT using DHCP then you will need to configure unraid, on the other hand if unraid is using DHCP and you are pushing options to it (including dns) then you will need to configure your router (assuming your router hands out DHCP leases)

if unraid is using a static ip, then your best bet is to ask in the general support section, as its outside the scope of this thread.

I fit my static ip in unraid and is working good. Thanks

On 1/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, binhex said:

you can certainly have a play with VPN_OPTIONS, this is one of the scenarios where it might come in handy, maybe you could turn the logs up for openvpn, i have a feeling though that this prob wont expose the real issue as i dont believe its an openvpn problem, more likely something on your system is killing the process. 

have a look in your system log for qnap, look out for oom_killer kicking in, is your system low on available ram?.

My memory seems fine when the container is running. There is no oom killer and I can't see any QNAP logs that indicate openvpn is being killed. Just a mystery. I am at a loss. I will continue some other troubleshooting with VPN disabled and another docker with just OpenVPN to see if it is my system or network setup.

I can't get VPN_OPTIONS to work. I am unsure if it is possible with the syntax. It seems to put single quotes around it. I have to use some quotes in my docker command line:

-e VPN_OPTIONS='--log-append /config/openvpn.log' \
-e DEBUG=true \
-e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes \
binhex/arch-delugevpn

2019-01-16 19:44:48,382 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[debug] OpenVPN command line:- /usr/bin/openvpn --daemon --reneg-sec 0 --mute-replay-warnings --auth-nocache --setenv VPN_PROV 'pia' --setenv DEBUG 'true' --setenv VPN_DEVICE_TY
PE 'tun0' --setenv VPN_REMOTE 'ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com' --script-security 2 --up /root/openvpnup.sh --up-delay --up-restart --writepid /root/openvpn.pid --remap-usr
1 SIGHUP --log-append /dev/stdout --pull-filter ignore 'up' --pull-filter ignore 'down' --pull-filter ignore 'route-ipv6' --pull-filter ignore 'ifconfig-ipv6' --pull-filter igno
re 'tun-ipv6' --pull-filter ignore 'persist-tun' --pull-filter ignore 'reneg-sec' --remote 172.98.67.56 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.65 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.62 1198 udp --
remote 172.98.67.76 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.89 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.54 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.6 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.58 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.81 119
8 udp --remote 172.98.67.73 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.11 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.46 1198 udp --remote 172.98.67.16 1198 udp --remote-random --keepalive 10 60 --setenv STRI
CT_PORT_FORWARD 'yes' --disable-occ '--log-append /config/openvpn.log' --cd /config/openvpn --config '/config/openvpn/CA Toronto.ovpn'
[info] Starting OpenVPN...

2019-01-16 19:44:48,415 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [CMD-LINE]:1: log-append /config/openvpn.log (2.4.6)

Edited by WarezMonkey
14 hours ago, WarezMonkey said:

I can't get VPN_OPTIONS to work. I am unsure if it is possible with the syntax. It seems to put single quotes around it.

i think i see the issue, i have rebuilt the image without the single quotes for the optional argument(s), so pull down the new image, obviously keep the single quotes for the run command as they were and see what you get.

21 minutes ago, binhex said:

i think i see the issue, i have rebuilt the image without the single quotes for the optional argument(s), so pull down the new image, obviously keep the single quotes for the run command as they were and see what you get.

Ok thanks! I'll give that a try. There definitely is something fishy with my NAS since I seem to be seeing the same issue when I try haugene/transmission. Openvpn connects, gets an IP, gets a port..... then dies (which in that docker image, kills the container). 

I fear this question will demonstrate my ignorance of all things VPN but here goes...

I've had DelugeVPN running with PIA as the service and Privoxy turned on for quite some time beautifully.   I also have my local machines and services using the privoxy no problem.  Can I use the DelugeVPN as an OpenVPN server to connect a machine with OpenVPN client from a remote network to gain secure access to the local network?  If so, can someone point me to instructions to get me going?

3 minutes ago, elmn8r said:

I fear this question will demonstrate my ignorance of all things VPN but here goes...

I've had DelugeVPN running with PIA as the service and Privoxy turned on for quite some time beautifully.   I also have my local machines and services using the privoxy no problem.  Can I use the DelugeVPN as an OpenVPN server to connect a machine with OpenVPN client from a remote network to gain secure access to the local network?  If so, can someone point me to instructions to get me going?

No, DelugeVPN is simply Deluge with a built-in VPN capability.  It does not function as a VPN server.  There are a couple of excellent OpenVPN Access Server dockers for unRAID and you can certainly use one of them to enable connections to your server via an Open VPN client.

I use both DelugeVPN and OpenVPN-AS on my server.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, elmn8r said:

As @Hoopster said, it's not a server.  I used to have openVPN set up on Unraid as per Spaceinvaderone's excellent YouTube tutorial.

I've since upgraded my router to a pfSense box, where I can run openVPN directly there (bonus here is that the connection isn't slowed by Unraid activity, and I can make all changes to Unraid without losing connection).

However, lots of people cleverer than me are running it (and indeed pfSense) on Unraid.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, binhex said:

I was able to run the entire openvpn command from outside my container and it is the same thing. It connects and initializes fine, then says "Killed" without any logging.

Thu Jan 17 21:28:58 2019 /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/QVPN/etc/init.d/openvpn_up.sh tun0 1500 1558 10.68.10.6 10.68.10.5 init
get_vpn_client_id invalid VPNCONNID=0
get_vpn_server_mark invalid VPNCONNID=0
/etc/init.d/vpn_common.sh: line 772: [: -lt: unary operator expected
Thu Jan 17 21:28:59 2019 Initialization Sequence Completed
Killed

I will continue investigation with some qnap forum posts.

**EDIT** - did some more investigation since the QNAP allows me to run openvpn internally:

I set up a VPN using Qnap's built in QVPN to my PIA server and it works fine. I then ran "ps aux" to see the command that QVPN runs and it is:

/usr/sbin/openvpnclient --config /etc/config/openvpn/clients/client1 --cd /etc/config/openvpn/clients .... etc

The command I was running and is killed after 30s is straight openvpn, not /usr/sbin/openvpnclient

Looks almost like the QNAP is killing some non-standard openvpn?

But then take a look at this, both commands point to the same command!

[~] # ll /usr/sbin/|grep vpn
lrwxrwxrwx  1 admin administrators   49 2019-01-16 19:36 openvpn -> /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/QVPN/usr/sbin/openvpn*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 admin administrators   49 2019-01-16 19:36 openvpnclient -> /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/QVPN/usr/sbin/openvpn*

Literally I run the same command but with a different link and QTS kills one of them.  :-0  

Works every time... Now if only I can change the docker to run openvpnclient. Or swear at qnap support for this.

Edited by WarezMonkey
5 hours ago, WarezMonkey said:

Literally I run the same command but with a different link and QTS kills one of them.  :-0  

Works every time... Now if only I can change the docker to run openvpnclient. Or swear at qnap support for this.

very weird!, ok so you can temporarily fix this by editing the script that starts openvpn, BUT im concerned that you are the ONLY qnap user that i am aware of that has this issue, i have seen a couple of dozen or so qnap users come here for support over the years and i think you are the first to have this specific issue, which makes me question whether its something specific to how you have your qnap box setup, maybe try shutting down all other containers and vm's, so you literally have nothing running other than this container, if it then stays up you know the issue is caused by another container/vm etc running on your system, then start them up one by one.

if you want to have a play (not permanent) and set it to use the alternative application name then do the following:-

start the container, then:-

docker exec -it <name of container> bash
nano /root/openvpn.sh

change line 4 from /usr/bin/openvpn to the command you want, save it using ctrl+x then y when prompted to save, and press return to save over existing file, then type exit to get back to host and restart the container.

very weird!, ok so you can temporarily fix this by editing the script that starts openvpn, BUT im concerned that you are the ONLY qnap user that i am aware of that has this issue, i have seen a couple of dozen or so qnap users come here for support over the years and i think you are the first to have this specific issue, which makes me question whether its something specific to how you have your qnap box setup, maybe try shutting down all other containers and vm's, so you literally have nothing running other than this container, if it then stays up you know the issue is caused by another container/vm etc running on your system, then start them up one by one.

Thanks for your help. I'll do this after work today and let you know. I found a few others out there who have the same issue with openvpn on qnap and someone replied about why this is happening:

QNAP use a specific management for daemon ... name daemon_mgr
... this daemon management add to start process in daemon state, a "survey" based on daemon_mgr.conf 
... ... this daemon_mgr read the .conf file and do (each 30 secs. (around))
... ... if daemon is in file in "stop" state ... it kill it
... ... if daemon is in "start" state but not running ... after 30 sec. ... daemon_mgr restart it

Sure enough, I find this daemon_mgr.conf file and this is what it says:

DAEMON62 = openvpn, stop, /usr/sbin/openvpn

Not sure why this is there and why it seems to only be there for very few QNAP users.

9 minutes ago, WarezMonkey said:

Sure enough, I find this daemon_mgr.conf file and this is what it says:

DAEMON62 = openvpn, stop, /usr/sbin/openvpn

lol well that will do it, how odd that its not ALL qnap users that are affected by this.

if i were you i would remove that line from that file and see what happens.

Edited by binhex
  • Upvote 1

lol well that will do it, how odd that its not ALL qnap users that are affected by this.

if i were you i would remove that line from that file and see what happens.

Success! I edited the daemon_mgr.conf file and removed that line. I then restarted the daemon_mgr and the line is still gone. I started up the delugevpn docker and it is stable!! Thanks for the help!

• Like 1